Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Is the nacra 5.8 worthit or should I stick with a hobie 18 or getaway?  Bottom

• Hello I am new to the fourm and fairly new to catamaran sailing, I learned on a sunfish and had a hobie 14 for a year and really enjoyed it but wanted a boat where I could regularly out 2 to 3 people including myself who in total weigh about 400, and maybe occasionally sail solo I weigh 160, I am not racing and would just like to have a fast cruising boat that would be great in the ocean and local lakes, I would also really like to have wing seats, and if I can't find a boat with wings seats I can build them however I would prefer to find one with wings seats , i found a 1986 nacra 5.8 for $1500 in new York, a hobie 18 sx with wings for 2800, and a getaway without seats for 2700, I don't know which boat would be the best for my situation and what would be good prices to pay for the 3 boats,
    Thanks,

--
    Hobie 21 se,
    North Carolina,
    --
  • Hard to beat a Hobie 18sx with wings, great boat all around and should meet all your criteria.
  • I’m definitely partial to the Hobie 18 (family has owned three since 1985 and I currently have two of them).

The H18 is a great all around beach cat. They are tough, reasonably fast and powerful, but also quite forgiving and easily managed. There are some model years you need to watch out for (mid 1980’s) and as with all fiberglass foam core boats, they need to be inspected closely for delamination in the hulls. The SX 18 is something of an oddball in that it was an offshoot of the original H18 but had very large wings and a larger rig. Some sellers don’t actually know what they’ve got and may call the boat an SX even though it’s just an 18 magnum (regular 18 but with wings). If it truely is an SX18, you need to inspect the sails closely. The original SX sails were mylar (as opposed to dacron on the standard 18) and the mylar has a tendency to delaminate. If the sails are shot, expect to pay $1,500-2,000 for a replacement set.

sm
  • The NACRA 5.8 is a lot of boat for a first timer... unless you have someone experienced around to help you out an show you the ropes (pun)....

Also some of the key 5.8 parts beams etc... are impossible to get...

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • I started off with a 5.8 at age 15. I sailed and raced 2 N 5.8's. Fantastic boats. Boat is very easy to sail and with a few easy upgrades, can be handled in most conditions singlehanded. With the deep dagger boards, it makes it easy to get the boat back upwind when you need it. PM me if you are still considering a 5.8 and I can give you the low down of what to look for when buying one. The wings are nice, I have considered building a pair for my current boat.

--
    Scott

Prindle Fleet 2
    TCDYC

Prindle 18-2 Mod "FrankenKitty"
    Tornado Classic "Fast Furniture"
    Prindle 19 "Mr. Wiggly"
    Nacra 5.8 "De ja vu"
    Nacra 5.0
    Nacra 5.8
    Tornadoes (Reg White)
    --
  • I have owned both and the wings on a H18 are a lot of fun,but I would go with the Nacra 5.8 arguably easier to sail than the Hobie, no boom to worry about, more flotation in the bows and probably takes the weight of three people better.You can push a 5.8 pretty hard without fear of a pitchpole.

--
    Carl

Dart 18x2
    Nacra 5.8
    1967 B-LION for sale
    1985 Hobie 18
    Windrider Rave x2 for sale
    --
  • onekiwiYou can push a 5.8 pretty hard without fear of a pitchpole.

"fear not the pitch pole.. embrace.. become as one...."

And as Carl notes.... you really got to push 5.8 hard... have done it a few time, but on a whole... the hull will just pop back up and keep cutting through the water... Pic below, don't try this at home...

https://www.thebeachcats.com/pictures?g2_itemId=129474&g2_imageViewsIndex=1

Edited by JohnES on Jan 03, 2018 - 06:08 PM.

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • Thank you for the replies, so I am leaning toward the 5.8, has anyone ever tried building seats?, and a few Hobie 18's came up in my area what would be a good price for a Hobie 18 without wings? and would it be better to buy or try to build wings for the Hobie 18?
    Thanks,

--
    Hobie 21 se,
    North Carolina,
    --
  • Quoteseats

If you mean wings...

Quote and would it be better to buy or try to build wings for the Hobie 18?

If your a fabricator with free alum around, and a paint booth - and like to build - go for it

1000's have tried
    some have succeeded
    all sorts of "trap seat" options

the hobie style wings are the most common and easiest to find
    I believe Performance used to make a set of aftermarket ones - you could use on prindles / nacra's ... or something like that - that ended a decade ago or so

lots of h18's around with wings - just got to find a solid boat

I have custom wings hanging in my garage - they fit on both my mystere's

i purchased 1 mystere with wings from a local fabricator
    they are great in wind and with lots of crew but conversely ... added weight (in a not so favorable spot in light air), more hardware to maintain, bulky, and require secured storage for transport ... so - pro's and cons

https://www.thebeachcats.com/classifieds/data/1/15.jpg

Edited by MN3 on Jan 06, 2018 - 11:15 AM.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.