Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Looking for cat advise, maybe hobie 16'?  Bottom

• Hi all,

Hoping to get some opinions on what setup would be best, any help is appreciated and thanks in advance!

Looking for a cat, that can be sailed solo in a coastal area.
    Would be great if it was light enough to get in and out of the water solo.

I seen on some Hobie's they have extra netting at the front seating at the sides, this would be great if I wanted to stick some family on the front, im guessing these could be detachable?

Ive also seen on some (moslty with passengers on board) there is no boom on the main sail. Im guessing this setup is designed for cruising and not for speed? Sorry for the stupid question but I only have basic experience.
    This is a different type of main sheet?

Thanks again
    J
  • QuoteLooking for a cat, that can be sailed solo in a coastal area.

Which coast? where exactly (big difference from california coast and say tampa coastal waters

QuoteWould be great if it was light enough to get in and out of the water solo.

"Light enough is vague" What is your age/weight fitness level?
    Typically 14, 15, 16 and 17's are concidered lighter boats (with exceptions) but also have smaller masts, easier sail plans (less control lines to manage) and less room for crew and gear

QuoteI seen on some Hobie's they have extra netting at the front seating at the sides, this would be great if I wanted to stick some family on the front, im guessing these could be detachable?

I am not sure what you are refering to "extra netting at the front seating at the sides"

Front tramps come on a few boats (g-cat, hobie getaway) maybe others i can't think of right now
    the getaway has an option for wings (seats that sit above the tramp on port and stbd)

many people (myself) rig a low drag mesh somehow, or a permanent front tramp of some type

only a few cats come with front tramps as they add weight and cost and also they can be problematic to sailing

they add drag when sailing and make righting a capsized boat more challenging(the tramp catches a lot of air)

add weight (in front of your beam is typically not a good place for weight on a beach cats)

you can sail in light air with kids up front, but it's really not good for sailing in med/heavy air
    and kind of dangerous to have people up there where a jib will be switching sides and possibly flogging and taking out a tooth or eye

Ive also seen on some (moslty with passengers on board) there is no boom on the main sail. Im guessing this setup is designed for cruising and not for speed?

yes cats with booms do have more control of sail shape but unless you are a racer or really worried about keeping up with the Jones's (or other catamaran around you) ... who cares if you have a little less control and a fraction less speed

boomless is GREAT for crew and skipper's noggin
    the feeling of hitting a boom is never fun and can be dangerous - bootless is a great option

Edited by MN3 on Jan 11, 2018 - 10:15 AM.
  • Hi Thanks!

Would be looking at coastal caribbean island. Mostly sailing on the sheltered sides, but would be good to be able to explore.

Im 30's, male and reasonably fit.

So F-16/Hobie16 type boat?

many people (myself) rig a low drag mesh somehow, or a permanent front tramp of some type

Ok thats good to know, so only some boats would come with front tramps as standard but with a bit of ingenuity they can be rigged up as needed?

Jib could be taken down to allow for said front tramps and passengers? And that could be then reversed for solo sailing/racing?

Quoteboomless is GREAT for crew and skipper's noggin
    the feeling of hitting a boom is never fun and can be dangerous - bootless is a great option

Ok thank, thats good to know! I have only ever sailed with a boom so ill have to get some practice without!
    I do enjoy carving into the wind when the boat tips to the side though, that wouldnt make a huge differene boomless you think?
  • I am always quick to suggest a Hobie 16 as a first cat because of availability, durability, spare parts availability, and entry level cost. It would not be a good choice for adding a front tramp, and it sails poorly without the jib, although I have seen both done.

Both a Gcat 5.7 and a Hobie Getaway are boomless and have front tramps and weigh about 400 lbs which isn’t light, but manageable.

I own a Gcat and a Hobie 16 and they are fantastic boats that have not let me down

What’s available in your area?

Edited by jalex on Jan 11, 2018 - 01:32 PM.
  • QuoteIm 30's, male and reasonably fit.

So F-16/Hobie16 type boat?

I'm 49 and solo my 5.5 and 6.0 (18.2' &20')

Really depends on the boat, beach ... with beachwheels most things are possible

you should be able to man-handle most cats, but the bigger they are ... the harder it is
    and it requires the correct technique to pull off - that only comes with experience

QuoteJib could be taken down to allow for said front tramps and passengers? And that could be then reversed for solo sailing/racing?

I am a huge fan of a furling jib
    unless you are more of a racer and need/want a self tacking (complex) setup
    furling jibs can help depower a cat when it gets windy

EDIT: you can have a non furling jib too - and simply lower the jib and bungee it down to the front tramp (on gcat/supercat) and is fine but a furler is MUCH easier

You can have people upfront a lot of the time on the hobie getaway - it is a plastic boat with tons of buoyancy (designed for the rental market)

not so much on the g-cat.. it's really not good sailing with weightup front
    possible but the boat will not handle the same, tacking with people up front and no jib will .... be tougher ... much
    a few little kids in 5-8 knots sure
    adults up there in 10 knots .... that is asking to pitchpole/ capsize

Really the front tramp is great for holding coolers, dry bags, and getting to your bridal/furler area while on the water - they are really not great for sailing / crew (again CAN be done, esp w kids, esp on the hobie)

QuoteI do enjoy carving into the wind when the boat tips to the side though, that wouldnt make a huge differene boomless you think?

If you mean Flying the hull...
    no it make a SMALL performance change (can be debated how much)
    but if you plan to sail with kids or lots of crew .... i would not worry about the performance

I LOVE the boomless gcat (can be rigged either way), boomless nacra 5.7, boomless SuperCats...
    I Hate being hit in the head with a either of my booms :)

Boomless g cat in foreground
    boomed mystere 5.5 in background

https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=129535&g2_serialNumber=3

Edited by MN3 on Jan 11, 2018 - 12:47 PM.
  • You haven't mentioned budget, but based on your responses I think a Hobie Getaway checks all your boxes.
    Unless you just need to be fast, it will do everything the other boats listed can do with a whole lot more comfort. The wings seats add space and comfort, the furling jib makes life easy when you want to slow down or point in to the wind and relax, and you can fit your whole family on the boat with lunch and gear without issue.

I rigged rod holders on my Getaway, and fish off of it, while sitting on the wings seats, and drinking a beer.
    Try that on another boat!

--
    Hobie Getaway
    Prindle 18 - Sold
    South Padre Island, TX
    --
  • Absolutely love my G-Cat 5.0 ( very hard to find in great shape ) and have sailed it with and without a boom..... feels faster with the boom tho. Whats your ratio of perceived sailing? 70% solo? 80% with friends and family? Your description sounds like a hobie getaway might be a good fit depending on budget.

--
    Tim Grover
    1996 Hobie Miracle 20
    Two Hobie 14's
    1983 G-Cat Restored
    Memphis TN / North Mississippi
    --
  • Thanks for all the info guys!

Good to know that boomless is very compatible option!

I’d say 60% solo, maybe 20% with one other and 20% family.

Gateawat looks very cool, I’d be concerned the front tranps, side seats and the lack of a boom might stack and make a hunger impact on performance?

I just check and there’s very heavy import duties on the islands for these
  • QuoteI’d be concerned the front tranps, side seats and the lack of a boom might stack and make a hunger impact on performance?

they do
    but this cat is not a race boat
    this is a roto-mold (plastic), med performance boat

It is faster (and more fun) than a smaill mono/dingy but not as complected nor delicate as a modern catamaran (very few boats are still made for the recreational sailor, they are mostly built for racing these days)

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.