Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

New cat owner here - Just picked up a 1981 Prindle 16  Bottom

• Hello all,

I just picked up a 1981 Prindle 16 in San Diego, CA. I have sailed monohulls in Virginia, Japan and California for a few years but this is my first cat! I was initially looking into buying a small sailboat (around the 30 foot mark) but the cost to keep it in a slip here in San Diego is outrageous, even in the military marinas. Anyway, I kind of stumbled into the world of beach cats just looking through classified adds for sailboats and it seemed like a perfect alternative for me since I can keep it on a trailer...I also like to go a little fast. lol. I've read through plenty of the posts here (thank you all for the information by the way) and I jumped in head first. I bought the Prindle 16 with trailer for $700 and it seems like its very sound and the previous owner kept it up well. I guess the plus to living in an expensive city is there are plenty of richer older people who like to help out younger military guys and give good deals on boats! I'd love to find someone out here that would sail with me or even just help me out. Again, I'm brand new to the multi hull world and any guidance is greatly appreciated. Thanks again and look forward to sharing some pictures, information and stories. Cheers.

-James

--
    James
    San Diego, CA
    1981 Prindle 16
    --
  • WooHoo!!!
    I loved my P16!
    I sailed it many places, from the Sea of Cortez off San Felipe, Mexico to Coeur d'Alene Lake in Idaho.
    There is lots of help and info here on thebeachcats.com.
    Welcome aboard!

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • Welcome to the world of prindles... Great boats. Had my first summer with my prindle 15. Added a jib to it and wow, what a difference in performance, especially compared to my Hobie 14 turbo.

Question for you Bob... Would u recommend a keel protection product to minimize beachsand scuffs and wearing on the keel?

--
    Frank
    Prindle 15/Hobie 16/Hobie 14T
    --
  • spagsWould u recommend a keel protection product to minimize beach sand scuffs and wearing on the keel?

1. Minimize your full speed beach landings. They make sand paper from that stuff. icon_eek
    2. When the resin on the keel gets thin enough that you see the fiber mat through it, rebuild the keel profile with heavy cloth and good resin (Name Brand, like West System).
    3. On small repairs I use Solareze Extreme with a piece of mylar to keep it smooth. This stuff is really strong and cures in sunlight in less than 5 minutes. You can repair rudder and centerboard dings on the beach and be ready to sail before you finish your beer. Or mine.
    http://solarez.com/produc…rez-extreme-3-5-oz-tube/

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.