Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Harken Carbo Ratchamatic  Bottom

• Word to the wise, don't drop a Harken Ratchmatic (spinnaker sheet block) in the sand.... That said, does anyone have an idea of how to fix one after doing so? Mine is stuck in the locked position. Fine when there is a breeze, but not so good in really light stuff. I've tried washing it, boiling it, bouncing it hard on a carpeted floor. Have not taken it apart. Hope this experience helps others avoid perils of letting sand get into sensitive, but otherwise really good equipment...
  • I deleted my comment because it was irrelevant. icon_cool

Edited by martyr on May 28, 2017 - 05:16 PM.

--
    Marty
    1984 Hobie 16 Redline Yellow Nationals, "Yellow Fever"
    Opelika, Al / Lake Martin
    --
  • Eh I've gotten mine salty and grungy before and just let them soak and repeatedly tried to activate them until they worked.
  • Put it in a bucket of clean water. While you are watching the screen (TV, movie, Youtube) gently and constantly swirl the part in the water until it begins to move. This could take hours.

Can you even disassemble it? Is it bolted together, not using peened rivets?

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • Have you tried adjusting the tension on the auto ratchet? There's a hole where you can adjust it with an allen wrench. Maybe loosen it before soaking?

--
    Ron
    Nacra F18
    Reservoir Sailing Assn.
    Brandon, Mississippi
    --
  • Dawn dish detergent. Soak in a bucket with water + dawn = cured. Usually. They can occasionally fail.
  • I know they say when they bind up to soak in almost boiling water (not boiling) to dissolve salt crystals
    not sure about sand

They have very good support at Harken
    If all else fails, call them and tell them they have locked up - they will probably tell you to send it in for repair / replacement
  • I second Ron's advice on adjusting the tensioning mechanism with the Allen wrench, while soaking and spinning. Might dislodge the grains that are jamming things up.
  • I had one on my MacGregor 25. When it would get rough (never actually had it lock up) I would put it in a bucket (with a tight sealing lid) of water with a little Dawn dish detergent then put the bucket in my car. After a week or so of soaking and joy riding (agitation) it would be like new after a fresh water rinse to get out the soap.

--
    Hobie 16 (3 formerly)
    MacGregor 25 (formerly)
    Chrysler Dagger 14 (formerly)
    NACRA 5.0 (currently)
    High Point, NC
    --
  • I was not sure how much broad interest this question would have so I hesitated to ask it. Turns out, you guys gave lots of great advice. I really appreciate it, and will go through the list to try to fix my block. It's back on the boat on the beach now, so I won't have report for another two weeks though. Just got done cleaning and putting together the Harken cams from the mast rotation system. They were full of sand (I bought the boat recently). That was a very satisfying experience, first time doing that. Quick instant gratification with that small project. Thanks!

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.