Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

New Sails help for my Hobie 20  Bottom

• Hey all, I'm getting ready to purchase new sails for my Hobie 20.

I'm looking for some options if anybody has any advice on a good set of sails before I spend a couple thousand dollars.

I've looked at the Slo Sails and right now besides the Hobie option they are my first choice. I would love to hear some feedback on the quality and how well they do on the boat.

Don't get me wrong I've got no problem with the Hobie sails, I know they're well made and I would not be disappointed by what I get however, they are pricey so I want to consider all the options.

I love to race but I'm not worried about Hobie sanctioned events or being class legal.

Thanks all.

Tom
  • I would talk to Whirlwind Sails first. Chip is the original designer for most of the Hobie sails so knows a thing or 3 and his quality is impeccable. http://www.whirlwindsails.com/store/p30/H20_SuperR_Main.html
  • Thanks, good information I wasn't aware of. I've looked at their website but not talked to them directly. I'll give them a call and see what the options are.

Cheers!
  • You may not be interested in Hobie class racing, but the next person to own your boat could be, so having a set of OEM sails could very well affect the resale value of your boat. Something to consider if you think you might sell the boat in the not-too-distant future.

sm
  • I second the call of Chip from Whirlwind
    I have just had a new window and bolt rope put in from Sail Technologies  with very good results - no idea on his rates for new sails

Address: 1354 20th St N, St. Petersburg, FL 33713
    Phone: (727) 823-1968
    Hours: Open today · 9AM–5PM
  • I also have had good experiences with Chip. And the Glasers and EP, although both of these are premium multihull sailmakers, probably at the upper end of the cost spectrum. Dogboy's thoughts on resale value are worthy as well, particularly if the boat is in really good condition, thus appealing to someone who wants to race.
  • Carl at SLO does a great job... sailed a NACRA 5.8 with one of their sails last summer and I felt it performed just a well as the Sq Top I got from EP for my 5.8 years ago...

Regarding the Hobie Class rules... yeah there is that too!

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • Last year purchased sails from Chip at Whirlwind and I'm extremely pleased with quality and design. The sail cloth he used is exceptionally high quality and the attention to detail is outstanding! Small business and made in the USA!

--
    Todd

Virginia
    --
  • Just bought a new H 17 main from slo. Very pleased with quality and service. They tweaked some batten pockets for me, just for looks at no charge Pic of sail here http://www.slosailandcanvas.com/mainsail-to-fit-hobie-17-color-dacron/
  • I purchased new sails for the H18 from Chip at Whirlwind. Impeccable quality and a nice guy to deal with. As this is the boat I do the channel crossings with, I had him install a reef point.

http://www.catsail.com/crap/cp2.jpg

I'm looking to purchase new sails for the P19 from SLO next month. One reason I am going with SLO is that I am in their area occasionally so I can pick them up rolled, instead of getting them folded for shipping.

--
    Bill Mattson
    Prindle 19 "Gelli Bean"
    Prindle 19 "Cat's Pajamas"
    Nacra 5.2 (Will sail her a bit and let her name herself)
    --
  • Quote Small business and made in the USA!

ummmm - I don't think this is correct unless a. he has moved production back or b. you purchase very high quality items from him to create in the USA3

he outsources his sails to asia, but he overseas all operations and quality control
  • Very few builders still fabricate in the U.S. Chip does from time to time, as do Glaser and EP. My biggest issue with EP over the years has been quality control. I'm not sure how SLO is in this regard, nor do I know how fast their sails are. The Pentex Jib Chip built for my Hobie 18 was a very fast sail across all wind ranges.

The Glasers are arguably the best in the business in terms of quality control, and design fast sails. They charge a premium as a result, even though they will work with you on pricing if you batch order so they can do the production overseas, otherwise they may build in their loft if they have the availability.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.