--
  • ARRRRGH!

--
    '82 Super Cat 15
    Hull #315
    Virginia
    Previously owned: '70 H14, '79 H16, '68 Sailmaster 26, '85 H14T
    --
  • As you can see from the responses there is no perfect boat, most people have the boat they have because they have the boat. icon_lol And once you are used to how yours works the rest of them seem odd and not as good.

Concentrate on your statement.

chump23Talk to me about Super Cats. As you guys may or may not be aware, I was given a Prindle 18 last summer, and after lots of work have it sorted out. I have sailed it a few times now, and always have a blast.

You've already got a great boat design for family fun and one of the simpler ones since it doesn't have daggerboards. Give yourself another season and you might not ever wan't anything else. Unless your the kind of sailor who prefers working on a boat to sailing it. (not that there is anything wrong with that)

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • That is great advice, Damon. I'm sure that is exactly what will happen. I just wanted to start a conversation about it. I always learn something new, or some new opinion. icon_lol

--
    Hobie Getaway
    Prindle 18 - Sold
    South Padre Island, TX
    --
  • chump23That is great advice, Damon. I'm sure that is exactly what will happen. I just wanted to start a conversation about it. I always learn something new, or some new opinion. icon_lol

Just to give you something to think about on your Prindle 18, here are some pictures of a "slightly customized" Prindle 18 fitted out as an awesome cruiser.

Including full front tramp, wings, motor mount, and cup holders! Still sailed very well since it really wasn't much weight added.

https://www.thebeachcats.…ictures?g2_itemId=127791

https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=127836&g2_serialNumber=3[/img [img]https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=127835&g2_serialNumber=3 https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=127810&g2_serialNumber=3

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--
  • That's freaking awesome! I want that yesterday!

--
    Hobie Getaway
    Prindle 18 - Sold
    South Padre Island, TX
    --
  • QuoteNot trying to create a controversy, but I have sailed hobie's (14, 16,17, 18), Mystere 5.0, Edelcat (Savage), Nacra 5.0 And 5.7 and the old sol cats and aquacats and even own a trimaran, Windrider. As well as the 2 Supercats mentioned. My experience is that if you take any of them out in 12+ knots and some decent wave action, you are going to get wet.

All true! and i agree with just about everything you said in your posts - but get on a Mystere 5.5 or 6.0, with the very large bows and gunwale - it takes more than 12 knots to get wet. even in 20 with out waves it's a dry ride

Here is a video i took in about 15knots - not a drop on the deck - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcYdEYkw-NQ

(congrats on the new rank!)
  • QuoteIncluding full front tramp, wings, motor mount, and cup holders! Still sailed very well since it really wasn't much weight added.

looks great but like everything on a boat - pros and cons to adding all that stuff

first off: the cup holders - better fit rum drinks or it's worthless! (JK)
    but front tramps area great for gear or micro people, but putting weight up there isn't usually good
    also windage! wow - that front tramp adds a ton - also that "design" does not allow for anyone to get back on the boat from front (not that i think that's a good place anyway but people still prefer to board from there), nor can anyone easily help feed the mainsail into the track while hoisting

Wings - add weight behind the designed Center of Effort - making the boat a little harder to tack and making weight placement even more critical

so just keep those things in mind when you want to "pimp your cat"
  • Damon, can you tell us who made that custom front tramp ? Thanks
  • Yes, that is the question. I'm also curious how he attached the Hobie mast section as a front cross beam.

--
    Hobie Getaway
    Prindle 18 - Sold
    South Padre Island, TX
    --
  • When we first purchased the ARC 22, the PO had installed a forward crossbeam and net to fill that forward space, as he saw the boat as a cruiser as well. And if that's how you use the boat, fine. But if you plan to ever drive the boat hard in breeze, or have a chance of getting caught out in a building wind, you will quickly discover the downside of the arrangement. The first time we drove the bow under with all that gear up there, it immediately pitchpoled, a thrilling event with a boat this size. We subsequently removed it all, and can now recover quite easily from sticking the bow, as the boat is not slowed so drastically when it goes under. So if you cruise casually in light and moderate conditions, and accept the performance compromises the extra weight of the gear and potentially extra crewmembers extract, it can be great. Do consider using a more open net vs standard tramp material, which creates a bigger windage issue.
  • At this point my intentions are to use the boat as a family cruiser. I love the water and used to surf a lot. With kids now, I want something to do together as a family.

When I enter it into a race, like the Roughrider Regatta in September, I would remove it all. I will keep your suggestions in mind.

--
    Hobie Getaway
    Prindle 18 - Sold
    South Padre Island, TX
    --
  • pbegleDamon, can you tell us who made that custom front tramp ? Thanks

I'll try to find out, it was a friend at Ocean Springs Yacht Club, the boat was sold to another member and I think it's still on the beach there.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--
  • Here is your new boat.... addresses all your needs... These things are fast too, if it was close to me I would be on my way to buy it.

http://sailingtexas.com/201701/saquarius19101.html

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • I had that bought but in the SC19XL version (daggerboards). I had a set of plugs from Aquarius to insert in the daggerboard trunks if I didn't want to use the boards. It was a great boat, very smooth, very powerful. A friend borrowed it at for a couple local regattas and it hung in there with the modern boats for the most part. Self-tacking jibs are always nice!

--
    Mac
    Midlands South Carolina
    AHPC Viper USA 366
    A Cat USA 366
    Super Cat 17
    --
  • That's a nice find!

--
    Hobie Getaway
    Prindle 18 - Sold
    South Padre Island, TX
    --
  • QuoteI had that bought but in the SC19XL version (daggerboards).

I have sailed and capsized that version - fun and fast boat
    big and bad!
    the one i was on (many times) had a little travler car on the foot of the main for a adjustable outhaul... was a beast
  • davefarmerWhen we first purchased the ARC 22, the PO had installed a forward crossbeam and net to fill that forward space, as he saw the boat as a cruiser as well. And if that's how you use the boat, fine. But if you plan to ever drive the boat hard in breeze, or have a chance of getting caught out in a building wind, you will quickly discover the downside of the arrangement. The first time we drove the bow under with all that gear up there, it immediately pitchpoled, a thrilling event with a boat this size. We subsequently removed it all, and can now recover quite easily from sticking the bow, as the boat is not slowed so drastically when it goes under. So if you cruise casually in light and moderate conditions, and accept the performance compromises the extra weight of the gear and potentially extra crewmembers extract, it can be great. Do consider using a more open net vs standard tramp material, which creates a bigger windage issue.

My SC17 has a triangular forward tramp to eliminate that issue: it runs across the cross beam and tapers to a point at the bridle. Plenty of space for extra gear and foredeck work, and no chance of catching when you dunk a bow. Very nice setup.

In general, I'll add my +1 for the Supercat. I sail in Sarasota Bay so forget about daggerboards: it's just too shallow. For a boardless cat I think the SC hull points really well, and as said, you'll have a hard time pitch-poling it due to the massive bows. It's a beast on a reach - mine is upgraded with ARC17 sails and they really drive it hard. I also have a kite setup which I haven't tried yet but I'm excited to let it fly with an asymmetric up!

Don't underestimate the weight of the mast: it's a breeze to put up with a gin pole, but what a pain the rear! My wife and I can hoist ours up easily without aids, but it's a two person job and it took some practice to get the technique down.

Also: wet - very. Yes, you'll get wet on a cat, but on many cats you stay dry most of the time. The crew is going to get nailed all the time on a SC in a decent blow. Not a big deal in our warm water - in fact it's a nice bonus feature! But you wouldn't catch me on one in cold water.

Edited by sjbrit on May 30, 2017 - 04:58 PM.

--
    H16 back in the day
    SC17 right now
    Bradenton, FL
    --
  • good writeup sjbrit
  • Im headed to pick up a supercat 19x tomorrow morning. I will add some pictures once I bring her home. Im excited! Blasting down the channel in the lee of padre island should be fun.

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.