Super Cat 17 vs. Prindle 18

Talk to me about Super Cats. As you guys may or may not be aware, I was given a Prindle 18 last summer, and after lots of work have it sorted out. I have sailed it a few times now, and always have a blast. I just have a few issues with it since it is a family cruiser; the location of the jib blocks on the tramp, the boom, lack of jib furler, and rudders being a bit of a PITA, and to a much lessor extent, the diamond wires.

A Super Cat just came up for sale in the Classifieds that caught my attention. It is boomless, the jib blocks are similar but seem to be more out of the way, it looks to have a roller furler for the jib, and no diamond wires.
https://www.thebeachcats.com/classifieds/catamarans-for-sale/p15191--2789-boston-whaler-supercat-17.html

Considering my purpose is the Super Cat a better fit? Is it a better all around cat?

To confuse matter even more, there is also a Nacra 5.7 for sale; although it isn't close to where I live.
https://killeen.craigslist.org/boa/6138716766.html

--
Hobie Getaway
Prindle 18 - Sold
South Padre Island, TX
--
Reason for no diamond wires on SC 17 is mast wall thickness is much greater. It's a very heavy mast & in my mind completely eliminates it. Very hard to raise & I'm sure harder to right. You simply do not need a furler for the P-18 jib. The boom allows you to properly outhaul the sail & set the mast rotation properly for changing conditions. The nuisance of jib blocks can easily be fixed by making slightly longer bridles & attaching to very front of bow with single bolt exactly like H-16 & scavaging H-16 jib tracks & car on front beam. I've done it on several boats. The presence of gunwale lip on P-18 allows four footloops on each side making shore handling very easy as well as security on trapeze. Been using them for 40 years & never had ankle problems. Shore handling is an important part of catamaran use.
Supercat
Pros: fun, fast - no boom, no boards (although the 19 and bigger have them) good hull design side stay adjusters extend for easier righting /can be done single handed-no bag with good technique (i have solo righted one), has customer support and parts available

(no spreaders in neither a pro nor a con in my opinion)

Cons: very heavy mast (needs 2 people or a jin pole), less deck area than an 8 or 8.5 wide boat, and VERY VERY WET RIDE in big air

P18
Pros: fun, fast , no boards, lots of spare parts around, more deck area than Supercat, much dryer boat
Cons:no company support avail

I also would recommend a furling jib on any cat that is used with kids/family for the sole reason of being able to reduce sail area / power in a pop up storm.
YMMV

If you like your current boat, put a furler on it and teach your crew how to avoid the jib gear (or position your blocks outhauled). It's nothing that 90% other cat owner deals with. PS rudders are a PITA on almost every boat

Edited by MN3 on May 23, 2017 - 10:32 AM.
I had heard the mast on SuperCats was very heavy, and for a family cruiser that may be a deal breaker right off, like Pete said. I don't see my wife helping to lift the mast, and then running around to pin it. I tend to agree with you MN3, on moving the bridle wires. I will eventually be sailing this boat in the surf, and it's not like I can find another hull just anywhere.

I see your point Pete about the boom and its purpose, but that is less important at the moment. Maybe one day I will have a family member who wants to really push the boat. I do intend to add the foot loops like you mentioned. Maybe sometime this summer I'll get to that.

The boat has a smaller tramp area than the Prindle 18 then it's out for sure. I like my space. That's why the jib blocks bother me. Maybe I will see if I can modify the setup to be more like the SuperCat's, with the blocks on the edge of the deck and use the barber hauler.

I just liked the idea of a cleaner tramp, no boom, roller furler, and the set of Cat Tracks it comes with. Cat Tracks would be sweet, but honestly I haven't had the need to use them, YET.

--
Hobie Getaway
Prindle 18 - Sold
South Padre Island, TX
--
One of our local sailors has an SC-17. I've always liked the boat for it's performance and stability due to the very large bows. Get your wallet prepared for spare parts though. There aren't many of them around so used masts, rudders etc. are not easy to find in what I've seen.

--
Hobie 16 (3 formerly)
MacGregor 25 (formerly)
Chrysler Dagger 14 (formerly)
NACRA 5.0 (currently)
High Point, NC
--
chump23mentioned. I like my space. That's why the jib blocks bother me. Maybe I will see if I can modify the setup to be more like the SuperCat's, with the blocks on the edge of the deck and use the barber hauler.

I just liked the idea of a cleaner tramp, no boom, roller furler, and the set of Cat Tracks it comes with. Cat Tracks would be sweet, but honestly I haven't had the need to use them, YET.

You can add a roller furler to your Prindle 18 for about $400 from Murray's... or source the part and get the shortened pig tail form them.

If your looking fro a boomles boat with a modern jib arrangement, take a look at the Nacra 5.7 or a 570 Seems to have all the requirements of your perfect boat checklist..

There is one for sale in the classifieds

https://www.thebeachcats.com/classifieds/showfull.php?product=15175&bigimage=IMG_0497.JPG

Edited by JohnES on May 23, 2017 - 11:49 AM.

--
John Schwartz
Ventura, CA
--
I've had a couple SC17's and they are by far my favorite boardless boat. The masts are heavy but I could put mine up by myself if I didn't have help around, I'm 5'6" 155lbs. As for righting, if you have problems they have shroud extenders that make it a snap. My old SC20 was rightable by one person with the extenders (there was a good bit of wind). There aren't a ton of used parts, but the boats are well built. You do not see the delam issues like other boats of this era. The factory support is still there and unmatched. They can be a wet ride, but geez you're on a catamaran!

--
Mac
Midlands South Carolina
AHPC Viper USA 366
A Cat USA 366
Super Cat 17
--
I haven't owned a P18, so just addressing the Supercat 17.
Very hard to pitchpole as the bows are very buoyant.
Yes, the mast is heavy, but if you are storing mast up, who cares. Grab a buddy and raise it and all done for the season. If trailering, could be more of an issue if you don't have it set up with a gin pole.
Not any harder to right than other 2 man posts, with the rig it has. It does take practise, but most do.
Fast boat and I always hear that it's a wet boat, but candidly, all of them are pretty wet, and where I sail, I can use the cooling water.
Boomless, boardless.
I haven't had any issues with parts, but I also haven't broken much. Aquarius still supports the 17 and they are great people.
I love the rudder mechanism and have had almost no issues with them on two different boats. Have a spare set, and never used them.
I love the Supercats and would advise to get one, but cannot compare to the Prindle as I don't have personal owner experience.

--
Supercat 15
Windrider 17
Several Sunfish and Sunfish clones
Ratboat built from Zuma and Sunfish parts
Shallow water sailor in the Delaware Bay
--
FWIW
I'd take the 5.7 over the 2 other choices (assuming they are all in decent condition)
As the owner of a SC15, I'm biased. Go for the SuperCat17.
The mast is bigger in section so it will float,when watertight. This helps avoid going turtle in a capsize.
You have to go out of your way to submerge the leeward hull when driving the boat. It's a fast, stable boat.
I think the hull lay up is better on the SuperCat than a Prindle. I like the rudder set up better also.
I like the mast base much better than a Prindle's. With the proper rig you can raise the mast single handed.
Aquarius Sail Inc. still supports the boat. Yeah the parts are pricey. What isn't on a sailboat?
Like all the rest of the beachcats there's a dedicated owners web page with a lot of helpful members.
The designer of SC's,Bill Roberts, is still alive and sailing. He posts, at length, on the owners site.
That all being said. I was on a P19 this past Sunday. It sailed just great. I wished it had a jib furler.The decks were starting to soften up.
You own your Prindle. Any used cat you buy will send you back towards square one at least some distance in refitting.
How many cats can you fit in the yard?
Good luck, keep us posted. GH

http://owners.aquarius-sail.com/phpbb3/

--
'82 Super Cat 15
Hull #315
Virginia
Previously owned: '70 H14, '79 H16, '68 Sailmaster 26, '85 H14T
--
Wow, great responses! As expected, consensus. There are a lot of pro-SuperCat opinions though.
This weekend will be the first time I take just the wife out. We'll see her opinions of the boat, and what she would prefer. Pray she loves it, and wants her own! icon_biggrin

--
Hobie Getaway
Prindle 18 - Sold
South Padre Island, TX
--
QuoteWith the proper rig you can raise the mast single handed.

what do you mean?
Quoteand I always hear that it's a wet boat, but candidly, all of them are pretty wet,

there is a huge difference in cats "wetness"
the supercat is especially wet - crew will get absolutely soaked, head to tow in med to heavy air and surf
conversely my mystere is very dry - i ONLY get wet when i get hit with a huge wake
Look, we all know we have our personal preferences, like I said, I don't mind the wet part of it.
To the point of raising the mast singlehandedly, I have an iteration of a gin pole and can raise it single handedly with just a bit of work. It's a heavy mast, but a lot of this stuff is relative and very subjective. My SC15 and before that, my SC 17 have been my two favorite boats, so obviously I am going to be biased, and like I said, I can't judge vs a Prindle.

--
Supercat 15
Windrider 17
--
QuoteLook, we all know we have our personal preferences, like I said, I don't mind the wet part of it.

I wasn't talking about preference - you stated "all of them are pretty wet" and i disagree - nothing personal, just not accurate (imho)

As per getting wet - for me: not a big deal in hot weather | a big deal in cold or crappy weather
If my boat got me soaked every sail - it would be a game changer and i wouldn't sail as often (i.e. in colder months) so it is a big factor for some
Yeah, I meant "as expected NO consensus". Wetness factor will probably be important to the wife and kids.
I wish I knew someone nearby with a SuperCa to tryoutt, hell even just any cat would be great. I have sailed around a Steletto once, but that's the only other boat I've ever seen.

--
Hobie Getaway
Prindle 18 - Sold
South Padre Island, TX
--
MN3
QuoteWith the proper rig you can raise the mast single handed.

what do you mean?

I was referring to a mast raising rig. Not the standing rigging of the boat.

--
'82 Super Cat 15
Hull #315
Virginia
--
MN3
QuoteLook, we all know we have our personal preferences, like I said, I don't mind the wet part of it.

I wasn't talking about preference - you stated "all of them are pretty wet" and i disagree - nothing personal, just not accurate (imho)

As per getting wet - for me: not a big deal in hot weather | a big deal in cold or crappy weather
If my boat got me soaked every sail - it would be a game changer and i wouldn't sail as often (i.e. in colder months) so it is a big factor for some

Not trying to create a controversy, but I have sailed hobie's (14, 16,17, 18), Mystere 5.0, Edelcat (Savage), Nacra 5.0 And 5.7 and the old sol cats and aquacats and even own a trimaran, Windrider. As well as the 2 Supercats mentioned. My experience is that if you take any of them out in 12+ knots and some decent wave action, you are going to get wet. Especially if you push their limits.
Absolutely true that the Supercat hull and setup will get you wetter than average, but again, in my opinion, what's the difference if you know you will push them in waves and decent wind. Once you are wet, you are wet, so be prepared in cold or warm weather to be wet and deal with it accordingly, with the right gear.
My main point was that all these boats have their advantages and disadvantages, depending on how and what conditions you are sailing 'em. Mine stays on the beach, so no heavy mast issue weighs in here. Would be the same if you are trailering and have a gin pole. Wanted to insure no-one worried about righting the boat due to heavier than average mast weight as the halyard releases on a Supercat take most of that away. Still have to know the basics (and practice) righting the boat, but that applies to all of these beach cats.
Candidly, if I had a Mystere or a Nacra or a Prindle, I think I would be plenty happy with them. I really like my buddy's Mystere and I like the Nacra's I have sailed. It's mostly that the Supercat fills my bill well, for reasons previously described.
The best thing we all can do when looking at changing out what we have is to sift through this website and talk to other sailors and try and get on other boats often.
I Moved from small Hobies a long time ago, because I wanted to get away from the easier to pitch pole aspect, while teaching wife and kids how to sail. That and the crazy pitch pole my wife, dog and I went through one sail where she said she would never get back on that &$@;$&@ boat again. If I ever wanted to sail with her, I had to go to a new boat. All good as I am always up for a new boat
QuoteWanted to insure no-one worried about righting the boat due to heavier than average mast weight as the halyard releases on a Supercat take most of that away.

That would be shroud release matey.

--
'82 Super Cat 15
Hull #315
Virginia
--
I stand corrected.
Too much typing without checking. Operator failure

--
Supercat 15
Windrider 17
--
But that post moved me up to a mate, so worth the embarrassment

--
Supercat 15
Windrider 17
--
ARRRRGH!

--
'82 Super Cat 15
Hull #315
Virginia
--
As you can see from the responses there is no perfect boat, most people have the boat they have because they have the boat. icon_lol And once you are used to how yours works the rest of them seem odd and not as good.

Concentrate on your statement.

chump23Talk to me about Super Cats. As you guys may or may not be aware, I was given a Prindle 18 last summer, and after lots of work have it sorted out. I have sailed it a few times now, and always have a blast.

You've already got a great boat design for family fun and one of the simpler ones since it doesn't have daggerboards. Give yourself another season and you might not ever wan't anything else. Unless your the kind of sailor who prefers working on a boat to sailing it. (not that there is anything wrong with that)

--
Damon Linkous
1992 Hobie 18
Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
--
That is great advice, Damon. I'm sure that is exactly what will happen. I just wanted to start a conversation about it. I always learn something new, or some new opinion. icon_lol

--
Hobie Getaway
Prindle 18 - Sold
South Padre Island, TX
--
chump23That is great advice, Damon. I'm sure that is exactly what will happen. I just wanted to start a conversation about it. I always learn something new, or some new opinion. icon_lol

Just to give you something to think about on your Prindle 18, here are some pictures of a "slightly customized" Prindle 18 fitted out as an awesome cruiser.

Including full front tramp, wings, motor mount, and cup holders! Still sailed very well since it really wasn't much weight added.

https://www.thebeachcats.…ictures?g2_itemId=127791

https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=127836&g2_serialNumber=3[/img [img]https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=127835&g2_serialNumber=3 https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=127810&g2_serialNumber=3

--
Damon Linkous
1992 Hobie 18
Memphis, TN

--
That's freaking awesome! I want that yesterday!

--
Hobie Getaway
Prindle 18 - Sold
South Padre Island, TX
--
QuoteNot trying to create a controversy, but I have sailed hobie's (14, 16,17, 18), Mystere 5.0, Edelcat (Savage), Nacra 5.0 And 5.7 and the old sol cats and aquacats and even own a trimaran, Windrider. As well as the 2 Supercats mentioned. My experience is that if you take any of them out in 12+ knots and some decent wave action, you are going to get wet.

All true! and i agree with just about everything you said in your posts - but get on a Mystere 5.5 or 6.0, with the very large bows and gunwale - it takes more than 12 knots to get wet. even in 20 with out waves it's a dry ride

Here is a video i took in about 15knots - not a drop on the deck - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcYdEYkw-NQ

(congrats on the new rank!)
QuoteIncluding full front tramp, wings, motor mount, and cup holders! Still sailed very well since it really wasn't much weight added.

looks great but like everything on a boat - pros and cons to adding all that stuff

first off: the cup holders - better fit rum drinks or it's worthless! (JK)
but front tramps area great for gear or micro people, but putting weight up there isn't usually good
also windage! wow - that front tramp adds a ton - also that "design" does not allow for anyone to get back on the boat from front (not that i think that's a good place anyway but people still prefer to board from there), nor can anyone easily help feed the mainsail into the track while hoisting

Wings - add weight behind the designed Center of Effort - making the boat a little harder to tack and making weight placement even more critical

so just keep those things in mind when you want to "pimp your cat"
Damon, can you tell us who made that custom front tramp ? Thanks
Yes, that is the question. I'm also curious how he attached the Hobie mast section as a front cross beam.

--
Hobie Getaway
Prindle 18 - Sold
South Padre Island, TX
--
When we first purchased the ARC 22, the PO had installed a forward crossbeam and net to fill that forward space, as he saw the boat as a cruiser as well. And if that's how you use the boat, fine. But if you plan to ever drive the boat hard in breeze, or have a chance of getting caught out in a building wind, you will quickly discover the downside of the arrangement. The first time we drove the bow under with all that gear up there, it immediately pitchpoled, a thrilling event with a boat this size. We subsequently removed it all, and can now recover quite easily from sticking the bow, as the boat is not slowed so drastically when it goes under. So if you cruise casually in light and moderate conditions, and accept the performance compromises the extra weight of the gear and potentially extra crewmembers extract, it can be great. Do consider using a more open net vs standard tramp material, which creates a bigger windage issue.
At this point my intentions are to use the boat as a family cruiser. I love the water and used to surf a lot. With kids now, I want something to do together as a family.

When I enter it into a race, like the Roughrider Regatta in September, I would remove it all. I will keep your suggestions in mind.

--
Hobie Getaway
Prindle 18 - Sold
South Padre Island, TX
--
pbegleDamon, can you tell us who made that custom front tramp ? Thanks

I'll try to find out, it was a friend at Ocean Springs Yacht Club, the boat was sold to another member and I think it's still on the beach there.

--
Damon Linkous
1992 Hobie 18
Memphis, TN

--
Here is your new boat.... addresses all your needs... These things are fast too, if it was close to me I would be on my way to buy it.

http://sailingtexas.com/201701/saquarius19101.html

--
John Schwartz
Ventura, CA
--
I had that bought but in the SC19XL version (daggerboards). I had a set of plugs from Aquarius to insert in the daggerboard trunks if I didn't want to use the boards. It was a great boat, very smooth, very powerful. A friend borrowed it at for a couple local regattas and it hung in there with the modern boats for the most part. Self-tacking jibs are always nice!

--
Mac
Midlands South Carolina
AHPC Viper USA 366
A Cat USA 366
Super Cat 17
--
That's a nice find!

--
Hobie Getaway
Prindle 18 - Sold
South Padre Island, TX
--
QuoteI had that bought but in the SC19XL version (daggerboards).

I have sailed and capsized that version - fun and fast boat
big and bad!
the one i was on (many times) had a little travler car on the foot of the main for a adjustable outhaul... was a beast
davefarmerWhen we first purchased the ARC 22, the PO had installed a forward crossbeam and net to fill that forward space, as he saw the boat as a cruiser as well. And if that's how you use the boat, fine. But if you plan to ever drive the boat hard in breeze, or have a chance of getting caught out in a building wind, you will quickly discover the downside of the arrangement. The first time we drove the bow under with all that gear up there, it immediately pitchpoled, a thrilling event with a boat this size. We subsequently removed it all, and can now recover quite easily from sticking the bow, as the boat is not slowed so drastically when it goes under. So if you cruise casually in light and moderate conditions, and accept the performance compromises the extra weight of the gear and potentially extra crewmembers extract, it can be great. Do consider using a more open net vs standard tramp material, which creates a bigger windage issue.

My SC17 has a triangular forward tramp to eliminate that issue: it runs across the cross beam and tapers to a point at the bridle. Plenty of space for extra gear and foredeck work, and no chance of catching when you dunk a bow. Very nice setup.

In general, I'll add my +1 for the Supercat. I sail in Sarasota Bay so forget about daggerboards: it's just too shallow. For a boardless cat I think the SC hull points really well, and as said, you'll have a hard time pitch-poling it due to the massive bows. It's a beast on a reach - mine is upgraded with ARC17 sails and they really drive it hard. I also have a kite setup which I haven't tried yet but I'm excited to let it fly with an asymmetric up!

Don't underestimate the weight of the mast: it's a breeze to put up with a gin pole, but what a pain the rear! My wife and I can hoist ours up easily without aids, but it's a two person job and it took some practice to get the technique down.

Also: wet - very. Yes, you'll get wet on a cat, but on many cats you stay dry most of the time. The crew is going to get nailed all the time on a SC in a decent blow. Not a big deal in our warm water - in fact it's a nice bonus feature! But you wouldn't catch me on one in cold water.

Edited by sjbrit on May 30, 2017 - 04:58 PM.

--
H16 back in the day
SC17 right now
Bradenton, FL
--
good writeup sjbrit
Im headed to pick up a supercat 19x tomorrow morning. I will add some pictures once I bring her home. Im excited! Blasting down the channel in the lee of padre island should be fun.
Are you picking up the one in Kemah?
I contacted the guy, but he already had an offer.
If that's the one, then congrats, that looks like an amazing boat.

If you ever decide to sell it, give me a shout. Seriously.

--
Hobie Getaway
Prindle 18 - Sold
South Padre Island, TX
--
Yep, thats the one. Thanks. Will do and I will probably bring it down to S. padre on occasion. I have family in Laguna Vista.
Check your PM jdlg.

--
Hobie Getaway
Prindle 18 - Sold
South Padre Island, TX
--
jdlgIm headed to pick up a supercat 19x tomorrow morning. I will add some pictures once I bring her home. Im excited! Blasting down the channel in the lee of padre island should be fun.

Glad to see someone jumped on this.. look forward to hearing more about it... enjoy!

--
John Schwartz
Ventura, CA
--
Jdlg, we're waiting for those pics, man. Let's see 'em!

--
Hobie Getaway
Prindle 18 - Sold
South Padre Island, TX
--
How do you attach an image?
Here.

https://www.thebeachcats.com/faq/Forums/pictures-in-forum-faq

Edited by chump23 on Jun 03, 2017 - 11:07 AM.

--
Hobie Getaway
Prindle 18 - Sold
South Padre Island, TX
--
https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=127987&g2_serialNumber=3

https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=127984&g2_serialNumber=3

Hopefully next Thursday will be the first launch day. Either out in the Gulf or the Laguna.

Cheers!

Jeff
That's a nice looking boat!
Congrats, Jeff!
I'm jealous.

--
Hobie Getaway
Prindle 18 - Sold
South Padre Island, TX
--
Thanks! I'm going to lengthen the trailer tongue (trailer is for a hobie 16) and add some cradles for the rear instead of rollers. I'm also hoping to build a gin pole to help ease raising the mast. Another option is a mast cradle vertical extension with a pulley for better leverage. I also want to fair the rudders a bit. Its a great catamaran and I'm excited to sail it. Its been too long for me without a beach cat!
Definitely get those rudders faired. They are a huge part of the lift produced by that hull and when the leading edge gets worn down at the bottom they can get out of balance. I have a gin pole setup for the SC17 which you could replicate - I would have to take some pics and measure to get you what you need if interested. In the end I gave up on the gin pole since it takes extra steps and time. I turned the cat around so it's stern first on the trailer, so with the mast in its front trailer support you already have the hard part of stepping done! Get the bottom secured and heave it up from there, using the trapeze lines for lateral stability. Helps a ton, especially if you can park on a slope too.

--
H16 back in the day
SC17 right now
Bradenton, FL
--
jdlgcradles for the rear instead of rollers.

I would use it like that first to see if you like it. Rollers on the rear and cradles on the front = single-handed trailering off the beach dolly.

--
H16 back in the day
SC17 right now
Bradenton, FL
--
I second keeping the rollers on the rear. It makes things very easy. I haven't loaded mine on the trailer backwards yet, but I may try it soon.

--
Hobie Getaway
Prindle 18 - Sold
South Padre Island, TX
--
Reason I wanted cradles on the rear is we have really crappy roads in my town. I dont like the small contact point which results in increased pressure on one spot underneath. I will try it first as is though. Good points.

Im pretty sure i can hoist the mast, Ill just heave it up there the first time and see what i need to change if anything. Launching the boat stern first might be a good option also.

Thanks for the tips.
Noticed you got the 17 supercat. sea ya on the beach. south packery padre island. regards carl
H-16 s/n 83412 "full circle" aka red dot
chump23
I'm jealous.

It could have been yours!!!!! icon_lol

--
John Schwartz
Ventura, CA
--
JohnES
chump23
I'm jealous.

It could have been yours!!!!! icon_lol

I know. I was just a couple hours/mins late on the call. Thanks for rubbing it in. I have called dibs on it if he ever decides to sell, though.

--
Hobie Getaway
Prindle 18 - Sold
South Padre Island, TX
--
oceanmandalayNoticed you got the 17 supercat. sea ya on the beach. south packery padre island. regards carl
H-16 s/n 83412 "full circle" aka red dot

Actually, this discussion got derailed when a link to a 19' Supercat for sale was posted. jdlg picked it up.

--
Hobie Getaway
Prindle 18 - Sold
South Padre Island, TX
--
either way if 17/19 etal if it is a corpus christi area boat we could use a few more
sjbritI would use it like that first to see if you like it. Rollers on the rear and cradles on the front = single-handed trailering off the beach dolly.

I agree.
In fact, make a bracket/frame that holds TWO rollers for each side in the rear, using the existing roller axle for a pivot. This will spread the load on the fiberglass hull, in effect halving the imprint force.

Drill the holes for the pivot toward the front of the frame (1/4" to 1/2") so that the rollers fall back unloaded, facing the rear, which will make loading the cat onto the trailer easier from the water.

--
Sheet In!
Bob
_/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
(Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
Arizona, USA
--
https://youtu.be/JNs5TJ-2AGY
Solo righting sc17 video
Looks like he has shroud extenders and they appear to really help.

--
Pete Knapp
Schodack landing,NY
Goodall Viper,AHPC Viper,Nacra I20
--