Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Super Cat 17 vs. Prindle 18  Bottom

Go to page 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 [+1]:

• Talk to me about Super Cats. As you guys may or may not be aware, I was given a Prindle 18 last summer, and after lots of work have it sorted out. I have sailed it a few times now, and always have a blast. I just have a few issues with it since it is a family cruiser; the location of the jib blocks on the tramp, the boom, lack of jib furler, and rudders being a bit of a PITA, and to a much lessor extent, the diamond wires.

A Super Cat just came up for sale in the Classifieds that caught my attention. It is boomless, the jib blocks are similar but seem to be more out of the way, it looks to have a roller furler for the jib, and no diamond wires.
    https://www.thebeachcats.com/classifieds/catamarans-for-sale/p15191--2789-boston-whaler-supercat-17.html

Considering my purpose is the Super Cat a better fit? Is it a better all around cat?

To confuse matter even more, there is also a Nacra 5.7 for sale; although it isn't close to where I live.
    https://killeen.craigslist.org/boa/6138716766.html

--
    Hobie Getaway
    Prindle 18 - Sold
    South Padre Island, TX
    --
  • Reason for no diamond wires on SC 17 is mast wall thickness is much greater. It's a very heavy mast & in my mind completely eliminates it. Very hard to raise & I'm sure harder to right. You simply do not need a furler for the P-18 jib. The boom allows you to properly outhaul the sail & set the mast rotation properly for changing conditions. The nuisance of jib blocks can easily be fixed by making slightly longer bridles & attaching to very front of bow with single bolt exactly like H-16 & scavaging H-16 jib tracks & car on front beam. I've done it on several boats. The presence of gunwale lip on P-18 allows four footloops on each side making shore handling very easy as well as security on trapeze. Been using them for 40 years & never had ankle problems. Shore handling is an important part of catamaran use.
  • Supercat
    Pros: fun, fast - no boom, no boards (although the 19 and bigger have them) good hull design side stay adjusters extend for easier righting /can be done single handed-no bag with good technique (i have solo righted one), has customer support and parts available

(no spreaders in neither a pro nor a con in my opinion)

Cons: very heavy mast (needs 2 people or a jin pole), less deck area than an 8 or 8.5 wide boat, and VERY VERY WET RIDE in big air

P18
    Pros: fun, fast , no boards, lots of spare parts around, more deck area than Supercat, much dryer boat
    Cons:no company support avail

I also would recommend a furling jib on any cat that is used with kids/family for the sole reason of being able to reduce sail area / power in a pop up storm.
    YMMV

If you like your current boat, put a furler on it and teach your crew how to avoid the jib gear (or position your blocks outhauled). It's nothing that 90% other cat owner deals with. PS rudders are a PITA on almost every boat

Edited by MN3 on May 23, 2017 - 10:32 AM.
  • I had heard the mast on SuperCats was very heavy, and for a family cruiser that may be a deal breaker right off, like Pete said. I don't see my wife helping to lift the mast, and then running around to pin it. I tend to agree with you MN3, on moving the bridle wires. I will eventually be sailing this boat in the surf, and it's not like I can find another hull just anywhere.

I see your point Pete about the boom and its purpose, but that is less important at the moment. Maybe one day I will have a family member who wants to really push the boat. I do intend to add the foot loops like you mentioned. Maybe sometime this summer I'll get to that.

The boat has a smaller tramp area than the Prindle 18 then it's out for sure. I like my space. That's why the jib blocks bother me. Maybe I will see if I can modify the setup to be more like the SuperCat's, with the blocks on the edge of the deck and use the barber hauler.

I just liked the idea of a cleaner tramp, no boom, roller furler, and the set of Cat Tracks it comes with. Cat Tracks would be sweet, but honestly I haven't had the need to use them, YET.

--
    Hobie Getaway
    Prindle 18 - Sold
    South Padre Island, TX
    --
  • One of our local sailors has an SC-17. I've always liked the boat for it's performance and stability due to the very large bows. Get your wallet prepared for spare parts though. There aren't many of them around so used masts, rudders etc. are not easy to find in what I've seen.

--
    Hobie 16 (3 formerly)
    MacGregor 25 (formerly)
    Chrysler Dagger 14 (formerly)
    NACRA 5.0 (currently)
    High Point, NC
    --
  • chump23mentioned. I like my space. That's why the jib blocks bother me. Maybe I will see if I can modify the setup to be more like the SuperCat's, with the blocks on the edge of the deck and use the barber hauler.

I just liked the idea of a cleaner tramp, no boom, roller furler, and the set of Cat Tracks it comes with. Cat Tracks would be sweet, but honestly I haven't had the need to use them, YET.

You can add a roller furler to your Prindle 18 for about $400 from Murray's... or source the part and get the shortened pig tail form them.

If your looking fro a boomles boat with a modern jib arrangement, take a look at the Nacra 5.7 or a 570 Seems to have all the requirements of your perfect boat checklist..

There is one for sale in the classifieds

https://www.thebeachcats.com/classifieds/showfull.php?product=15175&bigimage=IMG_0497.JPG

Edited by JohnES on May 23, 2017 - 11:49 AM.

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • I've had a couple SC17's and they are by far my favorite boardless boat. The masts are heavy but I could put mine up by myself if I didn't have help around, I'm 5'6" 155lbs. As for righting, if you have problems they have shroud extenders that make it a snap. My old SC20 was rightable by one person with the extenders (there was a good bit of wind). There aren't a ton of used parts, but the boats are well built. You do not see the delam issues like other boats of this era. The factory support is still there and unmatched. They can be a wet ride, but geez you're on a catamaran!

--
    Mac
    Midlands South Carolina
    AHPC Viper USA 366
    A Cat USA 366
    Super Cat 17
    --
  • I haven't owned a P18, so just addressing the Supercat 17.
    Very hard to pitchpole as the bows are very buoyant.
    Yes, the mast is heavy, but if you are storing mast up, who cares. Grab a buddy and raise it and all done for the season. If trailering, could be more of an issue if you don't have it set up with a gin pole.
    Not any harder to right than other 2 man posts, with the rig it has. It does take practise, but most do.
    Fast boat and I always hear that it's a wet boat, but candidly, all of them are pretty wet, and where I sail, I can use the cooling water.
    Boomless, boardless.
    I haven't had any issues with parts, but I also haven't broken much. Aquarius still supports the 17 and they are great people.
    I love the rudder mechanism and have had almost no issues with them on two different boats. Have a spare set, and never used them.
    I love the Supercats and would advise to get one, but cannot compare to the Prindle as I don't have personal owner experience.

--
    Supercat 15
    Windrider 17
    Several Sunfish and Sunfish clones
    Ratboat built from Zuma and Sunfish parts
    Shallow water sailor in the Delaware Bay
    --
  • FWIW
    I'd take the 5.7 over the 2 other choices (assuming they are all in decent condition)
  • As the owner of a SC15, I'm biased. Go for the SuperCat17.
    The mast is bigger in section so it will float,when watertight. This helps avoid going turtle in a capsize.
    You have to go out of your way to submerge the leeward hull when driving the boat. It's a fast, stable boat.
    I think the hull lay up is better on the SuperCat than a Prindle. I like the rudder set up better also.
    I like the mast base much better than a Prindle's. With the proper rig you can raise the mast single handed.
    Aquarius Sail Inc. still supports the boat. Yeah the parts are pricey. What isn't on a sailboat?
    Like all the rest of the beachcats there's a dedicated owners web page with a lot of helpful members.
    The designer of SC's,Bill Roberts, is still alive and sailing. He posts, at length, on the owners site.
    That all being said. I was on a P19 this past Sunday. It sailed just great. I wished it had a jib furler.The decks were starting to soften up.
    You own your Prindle. Any used cat you buy will send you back towards square one at least some distance in refitting.
    How many cats can you fit in the yard?
    Good luck, keep us posted. GH

http://owners.aquarius-sail.com/phpbb3/

--
    '82 Super Cat 15
    Hull #315
    Virginia
    Previously owned: '70 H14, '79 H16, '68 Sailmaster 26, '85 H14T
    --
  • Wow, great responses! As expected, consensus. There are a lot of pro-SuperCat opinions though.
    This weekend will be the first time I take just the wife out. We'll see her opinions of the boat, and what she would prefer. Pray she loves it, and wants her own! icon_biggrin

--
    Hobie Getaway
    Prindle 18 - Sold
    South Padre Island, TX
    --
  • QuoteWith the proper rig you can raise the mast single handed.

what do you mean?
  • Quoteand I always hear that it's a wet boat, but candidly, all of them are pretty wet,

there is a huge difference in cats "wetness"
    the supercat is especially wet - crew will get absolutely soaked, head to tow in med to heavy air and surf
    conversely my mystere is very dry - i ONLY get wet when i get hit with a huge wake
  • Look, we all know we have our personal preferences, like I said, I don't mind the wet part of it.
    To the point of raising the mast singlehandedly, I have an iteration of a gin pole and can raise it single handedly with just a bit of work. It's a heavy mast, but a lot of this stuff is relative and very subjective. My SC15 and before that, my SC 17 have been my two favorite boats, so obviously I am going to be biased, and like I said, I can't judge vs a Prindle.

--
    Supercat 15
    Windrider 17
    --
  • QuoteLook, we all know we have our personal preferences, like I said, I don't mind the wet part of it.

I wasn't talking about preference - you stated "all of them are pretty wet" and i disagree - nothing personal, just not accurate (imho)

As per getting wet - for me: not a big deal in hot weather | a big deal in cold or crappy weather
    If my boat got me soaked every sail - it would be a game changer and i wouldn't sail as often (i.e. in colder months) so it is a big factor for some
  • Yeah, I meant "as expected NO consensus". Wetness factor will probably be important to the wife and kids.
    I wish I knew someone nearby with a SuperCa to tryoutt, hell even just any cat would be great. I have sailed around a Steletto once, but that's the only other boat I've ever seen.

--
    Hobie Getaway
    Prindle 18 - Sold
    South Padre Island, TX
    --
  • MN3
    QuoteWith the proper rig you can raise the mast single handed.

what do you mean?

I was referring to a mast raising rig. Not the standing rigging of the boat.

--
    '82 Super Cat 15
    Hull #315
    Virginia
    --
  • MN3
    QuoteLook, we all know we have our personal preferences, like I said, I don't mind the wet part of it.

I wasn't talking about preference - you stated "all of them are pretty wet" and i disagree - nothing personal, just not accurate (imho)

As per getting wet - for me: not a big deal in hot weather | a big deal in cold or crappy weather
    If my boat got me soaked every sail - it would be a game changer and i wouldn't sail as often (i.e. in colder months) so it is a big factor for some

Not trying to create a controversy, but I have sailed hobie's (14, 16,17, 18), Mystere 5.0, Edelcat (Savage), Nacra 5.0 And 5.7 and the old sol cats and aquacats and even own a trimaran, Windrider. As well as the 2 Supercats mentioned. My experience is that if you take any of them out in 12+ knots and some decent wave action, you are going to get wet. Especially if you push their limits.
    Absolutely true that the Supercat hull and setup will get you wetter than average, but again, in my opinion, what's the difference if you know you will push them in waves and decent wind. Once you are wet, you are wet, so be prepared in cold or warm weather to be wet and deal with it accordingly, with the right gear.
    My main point was that all these boats have their advantages and disadvantages, depending on how and what conditions you are sailing 'em. Mine stays on the beach, so no heavy mast issue weighs in here. Would be the same if you are trailering and have a gin pole. Wanted to insure no-one worried about righting the boat due to heavier than average mast weight as the halyard releases on a Supercat take most of that away. Still have to know the basics (and practice) righting the boat, but that applies to all of these beach cats.
    Candidly, if I had a Mystere or a Nacra or a Prindle, I think I would be plenty happy with them. I really like my buddy's Mystere and I like the Nacra's I have sailed. It's mostly that the Supercat fills my bill well, for reasons previously described.
    The best thing we all can do when looking at changing out what we have is to sift through this website and talk to other sailors and try and get on other boats often.
    I Moved from small Hobies a long time ago, because I wanted to get away from the easier to pitch pole aspect, while teaching wife and kids how to sail. That and the crazy pitch pole my wife, dog and I went through one sail where she said she would never get back on that &$@;$&@ boat again. If I ever wanted to sail with her, I had to go to a new boat. All good as I am always up for a new boat
  • QuoteWanted to insure no-one worried about righting the boat due to heavier than average mast weight as the halyard releases on a Supercat take most of that away.

That would be shroud release matey.

--
    '82 Super Cat 15
    Hull #315
    Virginia
    --
  • I stand corrected.
    Too much typing without checking. Operator failure

--
    Supercat 15
    Windrider 17
    --

Go to page 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.