Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Time for some new Ports for the Prindle 18  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

• So ports came in. Bags apparently were not in stock but coming. Not much on the inside to hook a tether to. I guess I can try to drill a hole horizontally in that center bit and tie something. Or epoxy something in the hole or somewhere else on the bottom. or maybe even fine a short screw the right diameter that can go in the hole to hold something. Just Dunno yet.

https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=128033&g2_serialNumber=3

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • The SS screws that currently hold my ports in are screws not bolts they have no nylock nuts I can feel the points sticking out inside the hull. Seems to just be tapped into the fiberglass. But they also seem to be doing good job just not sure they will after I remove the old ports and clean everything up.

Which reminds me any tips on removing old sealant for the old ports before I start with the new ones.

--
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

--
  • I cut a short section of PVC pipe and drilled a hole in the side of it to fit over that small stub in the lid. Then I glued it on with epoxy. I threaded a small line through pipe to hold the carabiner. It was a crap shoot as I didn't expect them to hold as the lids look like polyethelene, but it worked. I may drill a hole through the stub and put a pin through it as a back up.

--
    Bill Mattson
    Prindle 19 "Gelli Bean"
    Prindle 19 "Cat's Pajamas"
    Nacra 5.2 (Will sail her a bit and let her name herself)
    --
  • QuarathThe SS screws that currently hold my ports in are screws not bolts they have no nylock nuts I can feel the points sticking out inside the hull. Seems to just be tapped into the fiberglass. But they also seem to be doing good job just not sure they will after I remove the old ports and clean everything up.

Which reminds me any tips on removing old sealant for the old ports before I start with the new ones.

I would consider replacing with bolts and nylocks, but that's just me. Important: Since the lids may not match the hull contour exactly, don't torque them down really tight. You will distort the ring and never get the lid off and on.

--
    Bill Mattson
    Prindle 19 "Gelli Bean"
    Prindle 19 "Cat's Pajamas"
    Nacra 5.2 (Will sail her a bit and let her name herself)
    --
  • Quote or maybe even fine a short screw the right diameter that can go in the hole to hold something.

Bingo! I replaced the ports on an H18 Magnum with white Viking ports. To secure against loss, use a foot long piece of thin line, I had some 2mm Spiderline. Just lightly hammer the end of the line to flatten it, then push an awl through the line, & "work" it a bit to open up the hole.
    then simply turn a small SS screw into that boss on the underside of the lid.
    tie the other end of the line to the middle of an 18"dowel, or plastic rod. You turn the rod on end & drop it into the hole. It will sit sideways, & is wider than the hole, so it prevents the lid from loss, though I also glued a circle of blue Styrofoam SM to the inside of the cap so it will float. A screw in that small boss is plenty strong.
    One other potential Gotcha. The holes on the new Viking ports were not the same pattern as the old! I ended up flipping the hulls, laying a strip of wetted cloth around the inside perimeter, then drilling new holes.
    I'll take a picture tomorrow

Edited by Edchris177 on Jun 13, 2017 - 04:32 AM.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • QuoteI would consider replacing with bolts and nylocks, but that's just me.

+1
    There can be a decent amount of pressure built up in the hulls and i wouldn't trust my cat to a screw secured into thin fiberglass.

My biggest concern would forming a small leak and getting lots of water in during a capsize
  • Some good info thanks. Prindle 18 should be flat mount. I plan to test fit dry first. I hope I can avoid any glass work in the process as far as filling and redrilling holes. I think I will put a mini grommet in the fat cat bags for a tether to pass through.

Edchris177
    Quote or maybe even fine a short screw the right diameter that can go in the hole to hold something.

Bingo! I replaced the ports on an H18 Magnum with white Viking ports. To secure against loss, use a foot long piece of thin line, I had some 2mm Spiderline. Just lightly hammer the end of the line to flatten it, then push an awl through the line, & "work" it a bit to open up the hole.
    then simply turn a small SS screw into that boss on the underside of the lid.
    tie the other end of the line to the middle of an 18"dowel, or plastic rod. You turn the rod on end & drop it into the hole. It will sit sideways, & is wider than the hole, so it prevents the lid from loss, though I also glued a circle of blue Styrofoam SM to the inside of the cap so it will float. A screw in that small boss is plenty strong.
    One other potential Gotcha. The holes on the new Viking ports were not the same pattern as the old! I ended up flipping the hulls, laying a strip of wetted cloth around the inside perimeter, then drilling new holes.
    I'll take a picture tomorrowEdited by Edchris177 on Jun 13, 2017 - 04:32 AM.

I was really hoping to avoid having to do glass work for this. I hope that I can make this work without to much trouble.

--
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

--
  • removing old ports
    https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=128185&g2_serialNumber=4<br />

Nice and Clean
    https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=128189&g2_serialNumber=4

New lids with tether and floats
    https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=128193&g2_serialNumber=4

New Tramp and Ports (not sure why it rotated it)
    https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=128181&g2_serialNumber=4

Edited by Quarath on Jun 30, 2017 - 01:20 AM.

--
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

--
  • FYI, if you're doing this job now or in the future, I highly recommend these Beckson marine ports: http://www.beckson.com/twistdp.html. Unfortunately the twist version is only available in 5" but these are sooo much better and easier to use than the screw out version. They also make them with bags built-in for the cruising crowd.

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.