Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Time for some new Ports for the Prindle 18  Bottom

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

• So I noticed some pretty significant cracking of my port lids so its time to replace them. I figured Id get the Murray viking 6 inch that fits the cat bags.

Has or does any one use the cat bags in their ports? If so have you tried both kinds, Long and Fat? And which do you prefer or thing is more useful?

Edited by Quarath on May 16, 2017 - 06:30 PM.

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • Quarath
    Has or does any one use the cat bags in their ports? If so have you tried both kinds, Long and Fat? And which do you prefer or thing is more useful?

I've always had cat bags in my ports, used both kinds, they work the same so the bigger the better.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • the one thing to check for is that you don't want the bag to be so long that it sits on the "floor"
    if it sits there , any water that gets in or accumulates from condensation will get all your gear wet / rusty
  • MN3the one thing to check for is that you don't want the bag to be so long that it sits on the "floor"
    if it sits there , any water that gets in or accumulates from condensation will get all your gear wet / rusty

True, and remind yourself and crew that anything you put in those bags could get wet, so things like phones and potato chips need to go in zip lock or proper small dry bags.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Have a Fat Cat and have used it 5 years ocean racing.

MN3If it sits there, any water that gets in or accumulates from condensation will get all your gear wet & rusty

I lost some first aid gear when it got wet last year, so I have purchased this:

http://first-aid-product.…kking-first-aid-kit.html

Two layers of waterproof. I have an active project to build a bag that will store flares and tools up high, easily reached from the port hole. I need a 6" aluminum ring to hold it in the hatch opening.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • Quotehttp://first-aid-product.…kking-first-aid-kit.html

Two layers of waterproof. I have an active project to build a bag that will store flares and tools up high, easily reached from the port hole. I need a 6" aluminum ring to hold it in the hatch opening

Nice!
    Keeping flairs dry sounds like a pretty valuable idea!

Not sure what is the best way here, and Ymmv - but if i was going on an ocean cruise or anywhere solo out of our local bays, I personally would keep them in a drybox (or bag) on the deck of my cat or somewhere else above "ground" so i can access them in a capsize or total failure
  • QuarathSo I noticed some pretty significant cracking of my port lids so its time to replace them. I figured Id get the Murray viking 6 inch that fits the cat bags.

Has or does any one use the cat bags in their ports? If so have you tried both kinds, Long and Fat? And which do you prefer or thing is more useful?Edited by Quarath on May 16, 2017 - 06:30 PM.

Used them all the time.. The only issue I had with the Prindle 18 was there banging against the sides of the hulls if I put something heavy in there... kind of like a Chinese Water Torture. Be sure that you leash the lid to the boat.... could ruin you day if the goes over the side

I opted to get an extra pocket sewn onto my tramp.. easier to get to and held more stuff

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • JohnESBe sure that you leash the lid to the boat.... could ruin you day if the goes over the side
    I opted to get an extra pocket sewn onto my tramp.. easier to get to and held more stuff

Two good points. You can hang food, tools or the first aid kit from the lashing of the port lid which wil give you easier access.

When I get another trampoline I will have them put TWO zippered pockets on the new one. I love the one I have now.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • I have the Viking ports and use the fat bags which work very well. Just double zip lock bag anything that must stay dry.

--
    Hobie 16 (3 formerly)
    MacGregor 25 (formerly)
    Chrysler Dagger 14 (formerly)
    NACRA 5.0 (currently)
    High Point, NC
    --
  • Thanks for all the info sorry it took so long to get back. Im leaning to wards the fat bags myself. I was worried about it clunking around if put much in there but not even sure how i want to use them yet. I don't really want to put much emergency stuff there as I want to be able to access stuff regardless of boat orientation or weather. Was very interested in tethering the lids somehow as I am paranoid of loosing them if I have to get in there under sail. Got a sweet new tramp from Ben at Salt City Sailing. It will be nice to get this port issue fixed. hoping I can get the old ones off ok. who has actually removed and replaced before?

--
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

--
  • Is there any way to edit my typo in the title of this thread or is it permanently set in history?

--
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

--
  • QuarathWas very interested in tethering the lids somehow as I am paranoid of loosing them if I have to get in there under sail. hoping I can get the old ones off ok. who has actually removed and replaced before?

I replaced both mine through Murrays.

https://www.murrays.com/product/01-421/

I used bolts and nylock nuts instead of screws to attach the new lid frames, and under one of the nuts inside the hull I put a nylon loop to tie a tether line to, the other end of the line ties through a hole I drilled through a flange in the underside of the lid. Like this, but smaller:

https://www.fastenal.com/products/details/0774300

I have to say that the white ports I used are not very UV resistant. After three seasons they are as brown as the three-decades-old ones they replaced. If I were to do it again, I will get the black ports. Make sure you get the ones with the lip in the frame if you want to use the Cat Bags with them. Not all lid frames have the lip.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • Thanks, I was considering black then decided on white. I might have to reconsider now. Mine are currently installed with SS screws. Was thinking of just reusing them but saw somewhere the nylon bolts were recommended. Still deciding. I like the tethering idea you used but I'm unsure how that works with the bags in as the tether connection would be outside the bag,

--
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

--
  • i have white one - yup they will all fade in time but buy a good known brand and they will fade slow

one thing to know - not 100% sure if you have curved decks lids or not (most have some curve) and flat ports will require some extra attention

you should build a shim (or re-use what ever is there currently ) - and when you screw the top to the deck - do it without the lid screwed in - and slowly seal it down a little at a time - using the diametrically opposite method (12o'clock, then 6, then 3- then 9, etc) testing often that you haven't distorted the threads - if you don't you may/will find your new lid wont screw in - or worse it will go in an not come out....

I have always used ss scews with nylock nuts - nylocks over lock washers and nuts because you wont be able to seat all the screws and nuts with a lot of force as this will distort your shape
  • Quarathsaw somewhere the nylon bolts were recommended. Still deciding. I like the tethering idea you used but I'm unsure how that works with the bags in as the tether connection would be outside the bag,

I would not use nylon bolts. What you may gain in ounces of weight is offset by weakness, low UV resistance, and expense. MN3 makes a good point about tightening the bolts.

When I use the Fat Cat bags, I have put a small hole in the side of the bag to run the lashing that ties the lid on. I use small diameter cordage, like batten ties.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • MN3Nice!
    Keeping flairs dry sounds like a pretty valuable idea!

Not sure what is the best way here, and Ymmv - but if i was going on an ocean cruise or anywhere solo out of our local bays, I personally would keep them in a drybox (or bag) on the deck of my cat or somewhere else above "ground" so i can access them in a capsize or total failure

For ocean sailing I created a Velcro strap from 3" wide stock that has a sewn loop to hold a flare and a whistle. It wraps to the life vest through your neck and arm holes, so it stays available in front. The VHF radio is attached to the other side of the vest, so if you go into the water you have what you need to signal and get help.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • I painted my port lids and rims with the same Arctic White paint I used on the hulls. At least the paint is very UV resistant and gives a nice finish.

--
    Tom
    NACRA 5.7 (1984 Sail 181)
    Pennsylvania
    --
  • Here's a photo of my son Cutter's vest showing the black elastic band and the flare. The waterproof VHF radio is behind it, out of site. This photo was taken about 5 miles offshore in the Pacific, and that is Platform Gina in the background.

https://www.thebeachcats.…275ea2a36377987a25d52b0e

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • If you are just talking tools and spare parts, I have a carabiner attached to the inside of the port lid, with lines tied to 32 oz Nalgene water bottles. Some bottles have tools and some have parts. I also throw in some rice as a desiccant. The bottles just lay on the bottom of the hulls and can be pulled up by the lines. The lines also keep the deck port lids captive.

This is mainly for multi-day island trips. The thing is, when I go for a day sail, I'm just too superstitious to remove any of it from the boat.

https://www.rei.com/product/106339/rei-co-op-nalgene-wide-mouth-loop-top-water-bottle-32-fl-oz

Edited by mattson on Jun 12, 2017 - 02:37 PM.

--
    Bill Mattson
    Prindle 19 "Gelli Bean"
    Prindle 19 "Cat's Pajamas"
    Nacra 5.2 (Will sail her a bit and let her name herself)
    --
  • Quote I have a carabiner attached to the inside of the port lid, with lines tied to 32 oz Nalgene water bottles. Some bottles have tools and some have parts. I also throw in some rice as a desiccant.

Good call on the rice - and if you ever get stuck on a deserted island, you can have a meal too !!!

I use an old "cosco sized" helmans containers for gear and stow it in my front port (i have a large hinged access port) - (prob too big for a 6" port). in this container i have a sewing kit (hopefully for sails, but ya never know who is gonna need an emergency stitch), spare glasses (i usually only have sunglasses on during sailing but if you get caught with no wind, and have to paddle/float home in the dark....), a very small first aid kit (some blood clotting powder, band-aids, neosporin) and some spare parts.

I have another plastic container (old planters peanuts) that i have a multi driver (has both philips and standard), small vice grip pliers, a 7/16th's wrench (fits rudders), assorted cotter pins and a shackle or 2

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.