Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Time for some new Ports for the Brindle 18.  Bottom

• So I noticed some pretty significant cracking of my port lids so its time to replace them. I figured Id get the Murray viking 6 inch that fits the cat bags.

Has or does any one use the cat bags in their ports? If so have you tried both kinds, Long and Fat? And which do you prefer or thing is more useful?

Edited by Quarath on May 16, 2017 - 06:30 PM.

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • Quarath
    Has or does any one use the cat bags in their ports? If so have you tried both kinds, Long and Fat? And which do you prefer or thing is more useful?

I've always had cat bags in my ports, used both kinds, they work the same so the bigger the better.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures I…he Forums in the forums.
    --
  • the one thing to check for is that you don't want the bag to be so long that it sits on the "floor"
    if it sits there , any water that gets in or accumulates from condensation will get all your gear wet / rusty
  • MN3the one thing to check for is that you don't want the bag to be so long that it sits on the "floor"
    if it sits there , any water that gets in or accumulates from condensation will get all your gear wet / rusty

True, and remind yourself and crew that anything you put in those bags could get wet, so things like phones and potato chips need to go in zip lock or proper small dry bags.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures I…he Forums in the forums.
    --
  • Have a Fat Cat and have used it 5 years ocean racing.

MN3If it sits there, any water that gets in or accumulates from condensation will get all your gear wet & rusty

I lost some first aid gear when it got wet last year, so I have purchased this:

http://first-aid-product.…kking-first-aid-kit.html

Two layers of waterproof. I have an active project to build a bag that will store flares and tools up high, easily reached from the port hole. I need a 6" aluminum ring to hold it in the hatch opening.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42
    (Way) Past Commodore, Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • Quotehttp://first-aid-product.…kking-first-aid-kit.html

Two layers of waterproof. I have an active project to build a bag that will store flares and tools up high, easily reached from the port hole. I need a 6" aluminum ring to hold it in the hatch opening

Nice!
    Keeping flairs dry sounds like a pretty valuable idea!

Not sure what is the best way here, and Ymmv - but if i was going on an ocean cruise or anywhere solo out of our local bays, I personally would keep them in a drybox (or bag) on the deck of my cat or somewhere else above "ground" so i can access them in a capsize or total failure
  • QuarathSo I noticed some pretty significant cracking of my port lids so its time to replace them. I figured Id get the Murray viking 6 inch that fits the cat bags.

Has or does any one use the cat bags in their ports? If so have you tried both kinds, Long and Fat? And which do you prefer or thing is more useful?Edited by Quarath on May 16, 2017 - 06:30 PM.

Used them all the time.. The only issue I had with the Prindle 18 was there banging against the sides of the hulls if I put something heavy in there... kind of like a Chinese Water Torture. Be sure that you leash the lid to the boat.... could ruin you day if the goes over the side

I opted to get an extra pocket sewn onto my tramp.. easier to get to and held more stuff
  • JohnESBe sure that you leash the lid to the boat.... could ruin you day if the goes over the side
    I opted to get an extra pocket sewn onto my tramp.. easier to get to and held more stuff

Two good points. You can hang food, tools or the first aid kit from the lashing of the port lid which wil give you easier access.

When I get another trampoline I will have them put TWO zippered pockets on the new one. I love the one I have now.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42
    (Way) Past Commodore, Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • I have the Viking ports and use the fat bags which work very well. Just double zip lock bag anything that must stay dry.

--
    Hobie 16 (3 formerly)
    MacGregor 25 (formerly)
    Chrysler Dagger 14 (formerly)
    NACRA 5.0 (currently)
    High Point, NC
    --

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.