Marty
    1984 Hobie 16 Redline Yellow Nationals, "Yellow Fever"
    Opelika, Al / Lake Martin
    --
  • all 6 coats in the same day - aprox 10 mins apart
  • mikekrantzall 6 coats in the same day - aprox 10 mins apart

got it - thanks
    clearcoat in the end?
  • no clear coat. I liked the "satin" finish. Clear coat looks awful unless it is done perfectly. The satin finish allowed the carbon weave to "print" thru. You could see the weave texture, but not the actual fiber.
  • Quoteno clear coat. I liked the "satin" finish. Clear coat looks awful unless it is done perfectly. The satin finish allowed the carbon weave to "print" thru. You could see the weave texture, but not the actual fiber.

sounds great!

I know what you mean about the clear:
    after i did my beams last year ... i tried to "seal" them in clearcoat - wasn't applied perfectly and you could see differences in the gloss where there were differences (i.e. when the can was 6" vs 5" away)
  • schoen.steveThinking about painting my carbon mast on my 2000 Inter 20. Looking at Awlgrip product. The current color is stock "off white" which clashes a bit with white sales. Would like to go with a darker color.

Read somewhere that you shouldn't paint a carbon mast a dark color because the heat from sitting in the sun may cause issues with the carbon fiber. Any thoughts or issues with a dark gray and/or paint choices?

Thanks,

To answer the second question, its worth noting the later Southern Spars I20 sticks were painted black.

--
    Greenville SC

Offering sails and other go fast parts for A-class catamarans
    --
  • FYI,
    i needed to touch-up some scuffs on my white carbon fiber I20 mast.
    i contacted the Mast Manufacturer (Southern Spars) to ask what the original paint color and spec were and this is what they replied.

Awlgrip Polyester Urethane Topcoat Base Paint Quart - G8003Q - Matterhorn White

i wonder if there might be smaller quantities for sale..........
    j

https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=127681&g2_serialNumber=3

--
    Aquacat 12 (sold)...'87 Nacra 5.8 (sold)...'03 Nacra Inter18 (sold)
    Venture 15 (sold)....'89 Nacra 5.8 (sold)...'91 Nacra 5.8NA (sold)
    '99 Nacra Inter20 (sold)
    --

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.