Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Beach Wheels flat tire  Bottom

• I have an older set of Sailcraft beach wheels, the kind with ribbed tires and no rims. The side walls have some cracks in them and won't hold pressure. I tried Fix a flat but it doesn't work. I really don't want to spend $300 right now on new tires and rims. Has any else had this problem? Is there something I can use to repair this. As a last resort I thought about using spray foam. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Bob.
  • Have you considered an inner tube?
    https://www.murrays.com/product/13-1401-9/

Edited by tominpa on May 04, 2017 - 04:10 PM.

--
    Tom
    NACRA 5.7 (1984 Sail 181)
    Pennsylvania
    --
  • if they make innertubes for that type of tire - that's the best solution

i think foam is a poor choice - it will not have lots of strength, will degrade with time and probably get waterlogged
  • I have those style wheels. Did just what you said. Took a paddle bit a cut a 2" hold in the side and poured in expanding post hole foam. Dont get the can stuff. Not near enough in there. You can probably get a better deal online just looking for jugs of the 2 part foam instead of getting the post hole bags from home depot. I was in a hurry at the time. I think it took 2 bags per wheel

If you do go the post hole foam route dont mix it as long as they say on the bag. 2 or 3 sloshes and then get it all i the wheel as fast as possible. One of my bags I mixed and it started expanding so no longer was liquid and it just started firing out of the bag uncontrollably and then exploded covering everything in my garage within a 10 foot radius in green sticky foam... I'd drill a few air escape holes with like a 3/16" bit so if the foam traps an air pocket it can escape.

Edited by tamumpower1 on May 04, 2017 - 04:45 PM.
  • Quote it started expanding so no longer was liquid and it just started firing out of the bag uncontrollably and then exploded covering everything in my garage within a 10 foot radius in green sticky foam.

haha !
    pictures or it never happened
  • Quotepictures or it never happened

I had not heard of this stuff, haven't had to build a fence for decades. Looked into it , they use it for setting utility poles!
    It does warn you to cut the bag immediately or rupture may occur, yeah I can see a real mess on your hands.
    Several manufacturers, all seems to be the same stuff from the MDS sheets.
    It rates as 75psi compression strength, & doesn't absorb water, so it might be a fix. About $15/bag, which gives 1 cu ft,(20Litres) & weighs 6lb/cu'
    If it takes 2 bags/tire, I think an inner tube is better.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • You can't put a tube in the old style tires, the hub is bonded to the tire.
  • I used 3M 5200 adhesive/sealant to patch a hole around the schrader valve on one of my rolleez tires. It's not 100%, but is pretty darn close and worked surprisingly well. If you can find the specific leak point, this might be a solution.

I also know people who have used "Slime" with reasonable results. The problem is the fix a flat and slime require the wheels to be spun at high speed to spread the sealant around. Maybe squirt the stuff into the wheel and then tie the Cat Trax to the bumper of your car and drive around a parking lot for a couple minutes to sling it around.

sm
  • DogboyMaybe squirt the stuff into the wheel and then tie the Cat Trax to the bumper of your car and drive around a parking lot for a couple minutes to sling it around.

sm

LOL, that is the idea of the year. icon_eek

Pictures or it didn't happen.

--
    Tom
    NACRA 5.7 (1984 Sail 181)
    Pennsylvania
    --
  • I used that spray black flex-rubber stuff that they advertise on TV to seal some of the cracks in my old wheels. It holds for a while if you just want to buy yourself a half a season
  • An old triek is to put fabric softener in the tires to seal up small holes.

--
    Greenville SC

Offering sails and other go fast parts for A-class catamarans
    --
  • We gained a few seasons on ours by using tire plugs. You can stack several side by side if the crack is still
    strong enough to support the plugs. Once the plugs start leaking slime will seal for a while. Eventually you will
    need to buy tires and rims like we did. If on a budget you can just buy one at a time if you still have one holding
    air. The online marine store was by far the cheapest but I believe they closed after Rick passed away. Foam is a last ditch effort. The wheels will be heavy and not roll as good. If you go that route I suggest not leaving the weight
    of the boat on the wheels. At least the canned stuff will flatspot from what I have seen. Never used it myself.

Pete

--
    Pete Knapp
    Schodack landing,NY
    Goodall Viper,AHPC Viper,Nacra I20
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.