Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

My jib leech thinks it's a helicopter  Bottom

• Or at least that's what it sounds like from the constant flapping. Only if I put my jib car at the front of the track up wind does it help a little but still flaps at the top a decent amount. Obviously that's the wrong position but I was just testing for fixes.

I read that the flapping is usually a sign of a worn out jib but the material seems like it's not that bad...but what do I know. Do I really need a new jib or could I maybe sew in a leech tension line down the edge and give it a little somthin somethin?
  • Sorry to say..., its time for a major re-cut or a new jib. Considering 1.) your jib was likely made by Hobie, 2.) the last 'new' Hobie 18s were sold in 2004 , and 3.) about $350 buys a new white, aftermarket 4 oz. dacron jib, I would not re-cut/repair a 'flapping'14 year old Hobie sail. You could put a leach line in the sail, but why 'lipstick' or further reduce the efficiency of this 'old sow.' Spend a few dollars and gain many years of worry free sailing.

If you plan to race in Hobie-sanctioned races, you will need to buy a Hobie made jib; if not there are several sail makers in FL and CA that offer modern designed/shaped replacements for cats at very competitive prices. Super Sailmakers, Slo, Whirlwind, etc.
  • GilleyNMSorry to say..., its time for a major re-cut or a new jib. Considering 1.) your jib was likely made by Hobie, 2.) the last 'new' Hobie 18s were sold in 2004 , and 3.) about $350 buys a new white, aftermarket 4 oz. dacron jib, I would not re-cut/repair a 'flapping'14 year old Hobie sail. You could put a leach line in the sail, but why 'lipstick' or further reduce the efficiency of this 'old sow.' Spend a few dollars and gain many years of worry free sailing.

If you plan to race in Hobie-sanctioned races, you will need to buy a Hobie made jib; if not there are several sail makers in FL and CA that offer modern designed/shaped replacements for cats at very competitive prices. Super Sailmakers, Slo, Whirlwind, etc.

Yea, I have no problem getting a new one but if I can fix something I fix it. I dont know about a re cut but sewing a leach line is just another day in the garage to me. I might try it just for fun. I think it might cause the whole leech to hook though.

About the OEM, I haven't ever raced a Hobie event and don't know if I ever will but thankfully the old OEM patch I sure fits nicely on the new sail lol.

Edited by tamumpower1 on Aug 02, 2016 - 08:05 PM.
  • I think Pete Begle,(check Classifieds-Sails) had a brand new in the box H18 jib, 6oz, for a reasonable price

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • when you try to recut a blown out sail you are putting money into a spent sail. it's shape is fat, and a recut just removes sail area to reduce flutter

save up and get a new jib from a good maker or buy a great used one .. but unless its new.... save up for a new. they are not thaaaat much (cheapest sail on our boats)
  • Agree. It's a 30 year old jib. It's blown. Don't waste money or time on it. Save up for a new jib and live with the flutter until you can afford a new one. If you go with Hobie OEM, it will give you another 30 years of service if treated well.

sm
  • Well, I'll waste time on it but not money. I just hand sewed on a new window using the old sew holes to avoid swiss cheesing it with more holes from my machine because it doesn't have as wide of a zig zag stitch capacity.

I'll probably get a new one just wanted to make sure the fluttering leech of doom was that big a deal. The fabric on the main sail on this sail set is in really good condition minus the batten pockets near the luff caps which I've had to re sew a bunch of times. Guess the jib just takes more abuse.

I'm guessing my jib or maybe both sails aren't original to the boat. Looks like some store writing on the jib.

https://i.imgsafe.org/2949726d06.jpg

Edited by tamumpower1 on Aug 03, 2016 - 11:05 PM.
  • Do this. Using sail tape or wide vinyl tape, attach a small batten (6 to 12 inches) on the leech. Problem solved. So easy a caveman . . .

Still, get yourself a new jib when you can!

--
    Philip
    --
  • PS most modern jibs (that i have seen) now have a leach line. they can be snugged up to reduce flutter.. but a flogging sail is a sign - either something is way out of alignment (are you sure the sail has equal pull on both the leach and foot and if not adjust your setup) or the sail is dying ... you can sail on it, but not optimal

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.