Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

H16 Trapeze  Bottom

• My H16 has four traps. There are the four black plastic "T" handles, two of the coated wire circle grip things, one is black and the other is white, skipper/crew things, and there are two "dog bones". My question is, aren't the "dog bones" the old style equipment used to hook up to the harness and the circle things with the handle grips are the newer style. All of this stuff came coiled up nicely in a box along with two harnesses that look brand new. I've only gotten it all out just to see what was there. Everything seems to be there but I just don't know why there would only be two of the circle things and two "dog bones" ???? The "T" handles and wires all look to be in unused condition, in fact the previous owner told me he only used the traps one time. I tend to believe that as the neoprene on the side rails isn't beat up either. So, I assume I can upgrade the rest if the system to the circle things.

--
    Marty
    1984 Hobie 16 Redline Yellow Nationals, "Yellow Fever"
    Opelika, Al / Lake Martin
    --
  • Funny, but I run my boat with one dogbone and one coated wire circle grip thing (J&H "Can't Miss" handle) on each side as well. It's really just a matter of preference, so I'd recommend that you try it all out good before you "upgrade."

Some people swear against the dogbones for hitting them in the teeth (but I've never had that happen). Some people like the dogbones because you can trap lower (in the lower ring) or higher (in the higher ring) based on personal preference, wave height, etc. without adjusting the rope lock (but I always use the lower one).

I have gone back and forth on which I prefer....am currently more partial to the dogbone. In some ways, the J&H handles do seem easier to hook and unhook, but, with the rigid dogbone, I get a better feel (without looking) that it's fully engaged with the hook. (Yes, partial hooks happen and usually don't turn out well.) Also, the J&H handles seem to get hung up on stuff more often.

So why do I run both? My boat came with four J&H handles, but my daughter (and number one crew) hates them! I only had two spare dogbones, so she gets those when she's on the boat, and my preference isn't so strong that I want to buy more when I've already got the J&Hs.

Hope this helps!

--
    Jerome Vaughan
    Hobie 16
    Clinton, Mississippi
    --
  • My Nacra is 50/50. Dog bones front, circles aft

Correction, cable type dog bones aft

Edited by tnell on Aug 03, 2016 - 08:16 PM.

--
    Tim
    Collierville (Memphis), TN
    Supercat 15--sold :(
    Hobie monocat--given
    Vanguard 15--traded for...
    Nacra 4.5--sold
    Nacra 5.7
    Hobie 14–sold to make room for...
    Supercat 17–sold
    --
  • Thanks so much for the info, I'm going to try both out. Now I will go ahead and rig up everything and have one of each on each side also.

--
    Marty
    1984 Hobie 16 Redline Yellow Nationals, "Yellow Fever"
    Opelika, Al / Lake Martin
    --
  • I too prefer the "feel" of the dogbone, it's easier to grab, & hook when you are already moving out.
    That said, most of my "hooks", are actually loops of line inside a clear tube.
    On the Mystere, the bones were at teeth level, never chipped a tooth, but didn't want to.
    On the H18, the bones rattle against the boards, gets annoying, the line loops are silent.
    One Nacra uses bones, the other,loops, on a adjustable 3:1.
    I forgot the box of parts one day, left them at the wrong house. I'd seen someone post here about making hooks, so I tried it. You slide a length of "hard" line inside about 8" of clear tubing. The stiff line/tubing keeps the loop open. They weigh nothing, & are dirt cheap. I liked them so much that's mostly what I use.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.