Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Deck Attachment Adhesives  Bottom

• I have been following the thread on the 5.7 issue and noticed that Dave Bonin suggests using thickened epoxy to reattach decks to hulls. That makes sense from a sealing and strength point of view, but it would seem like it would be nearly impossible in the future to peel one of those decks away when required.

What material was used originally on the NACRA's ? If it were thickened epoxy or a polyester resin everyone would be sawing decks off rather than laboriously peeling them back.

I have to go there soon as one of my decks has started lifting up at the bow. I would be good with the epoxy approach and then sawing into the deck at some point in the future for access, unless there was a better way.

dg

--
    dg
    NACRA 5.2 #400
    This End Up
    Original owner since 1975
    --
  • When I did mine 20some years ago the factory solution was to use a narrow strip of fiberglass mat all around the seam and either epoxy or polyester resin. I used polyester because that's what the boats were originally laid up with. After wetting out the mat with the resin you lay it in place and the get the deck in position and weighted down evenly. When the resin sets to the gel state, quickly trim off any excess mat that may be protruding from the seam.

--
    Tim
    Collierville (Memphis), TN
    Supercat 15--sold :(
    Hobie monocat--given
    Vanguard 15--traded for...
    Nacra 4.5--sold
    Nacra 5.7
    Hobie 14–sold to make room for...
    Supercat 17–sold
    --
  • I am currently working in my boat with the decks off
    i have 2 bottles of West System six10 adhesive per hull for reapplying them

Decks had some 20 year old white adhesive - It held very well but did hold in some moisture and mildew around m bow tangs (one broke)
  • I removed the deck plate that was delaminating today and added several images to my rebuild album on This End Up. Seeing this up close,
    http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=124164&g2_serialNumber=4

I do think the thickened epoxy will be the way to go. It will give excellent strength and should seal up well too. But you will never take the deck plate off again in the same manner as this one came off. The strength of the epoxy bond simply will not separate like this did.

I see some white hard material in the old bond area, but I wonder if that is just gelcoat? It looks more like they shot some chopped glass on the deck and then bonded it.

--
    dg
    NACRA 5.2 #400
    This End Up
    Original owner since 1975
    --
  • I think that is probably the layer of mat between the deck and the hull

--
    Tim
    Collierville (Memphis), TN
    Supercat 15--sold :(
    Hobie monocat--given
    Vanguard 15--traded for...
    Nacra 4.5--sold
    Nacra 5.7
    Hobie 14–sold to make room for...
    Supercat 17–sold
    --
  • Quote But you will never take the deck plate off again in the same manner as this one came off. T

+1

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.