Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Refinish NACRA top deck  Bottom

• NACRA catamarans are all finished by gluing a top-deck material that has good grip and traction characteristics. Over time, this material fades and becomes stained. I have refinished the hulls and would like to paint or in some way restore this material. Looking for ideas.

Tom

--
    Tom
    NACRA 5.7 (1984 Sail 181)
    Pennsylvania
    --
  • tominpaNACRA catamarans are all finished by gluing a top-deck material that has good grip and traction characteristics. Over time, this material fades and becomes stained. I have refinished the hulls and would like to paint or in some way restore this material. Looking for ideas.

Tom

I am planning the same project and was actually considering ordering from these guys, provided the price isn't too ridiculous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cScccL1BKOA

--
    Devonshire, Bermuda
    NACRA 5.7
    --
  • I'd really like to find a UV resistant paint and just coat the existing material. It is a bit stained and faded, but I'm not into replacing it.

--
    Tom
    Pennsylvania
    --
  • Tom, I'm finally back to work on my boat today. I decided that the grid texture pattern simply wasn't worth maintaining, so I have sanded it off. There are several ways to get sand or texture back into the paint for traction, but I think the only place I would want any texture would be forward of the main beam. And I'm not sure even that would be worth the trouble since most often you are laying on the hull forward of the beam. Any texture is inherently problematic and it is impossible to clean well. If the super smooth hull decks prove too slippery I will add some traction tape and just replace it when it gets nasty, which it also does.

Glad to see all the progress you have been making!

--
    dg
    NACRA 5.2 #400
    This End Up
    Original owner since 1975
    --
  • dmgbear55There are several ways to get sand or texture back into the paint for traction

My favorite is Re-Dek from Murray's.
    http://www.murrays.com/40-2010.html
    It goes on over paint and gelcoat, dries and stays clear, and provides good traction.
    It is a Stand Up Paddleboard product, and I used it on the sides of my Prindle for stability on the trapeze.
    It would work well on top of your decks where you have sanded off the texture.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • Good suggestions guys! I will wait until fall to do the top decks, since the launch date is tomorrow. I'm looking forward to feeling the faired and finished hulls glide on the water, but my top deck stains remain for now.

--
    Tom
    Pennsylvania
    --
  • QuoteIt would work well on top of your decks where you have sanded off the texture.

doesn't rip skin off if you get your legs swept off the boat ?

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.