Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

This End Up Rebuild Update  Bottom

• I have finally gotten back to seriously working on my boat this week. As many of you know boats and boating sometimes have to take a back seat to other projects and events. I got to remodel a bathroom prior to a visit from some friends.

Anyway, this short clip below shows where I am now. Just removed the forward deck plate and and almost finished sanding off the old coat of Petit Easy Poxy paint. I have said that this paint was seriously bonded to the hull. It is not easy to sand off. The finish had dulled seriously and the main reason to redo it were the many scratches, but the finish was still there. I think if it weren't for all the scratches the finish could have been rubbed out and improved dramatically. The one part epoxy finishes are a good option to consider when cost and time are the key factors in the decision process.

Finish work on the mast beams and all of the aluminum parts goes on. I have used up a quart of the Awlgrip 2000 that should have been more than adequate, if I were better at sorting out the spraying issues. This is a professional paint and there is an expectation that you know what you are doing when using this stuff, well.....
    The problem I have had is that when mixed per the recommendation the paint seems to spray really well, but after a few minutes I am getting sags. If the work was all horizontal there would be no problem, but that is not the case with these kinds of parts. So I am going to thin the finish more dramatically than the recommendation next coat and see if that solves my problem. This stuff looks great and is extraordinarily hard after setting up a couple of days (even the sags). I also was forced to go to a full face respirator using this finish. After spraying the first coat I noticed that my eyes were burning. So another tool got quickly added to the arsenal.

https://youtu.be/WChYgCMklWE

The sanding continues.

dg

--
    dg
    NACRA 5.2 #400
    This End Up
    Original owner since 1975
    --
  • fun!
    def no adhesive to be seen- at least not like what they use in mysteres (hard, white strong brittle-foam like)
    we have had success locally with west system six10 to seal up decklids (used on several boats several years ago) but a dozen ways to skin that cat and ymmv

thanks for the updates

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.