Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Beach Cat Sailor and Vendor in Maryland  Bottom

• Happy Spring Everyone!

I wanted to make my first post a brief introduction of myself and my company.

My name is Alex, I spent my whole life sailing larger cruiser boats such as my grandfather's Bristol 29, and my own Pearson 26. I currently race on a CS Merlin 36 as crew on Wednesday nights. I also owned an Iroquois 30 for about a year, but sold it before I could finish the project (it's now sailing in the Keys with it's new owner).

My company is Red Beard Sailing, we currently have two brands of beach cats, MiniCat and X-Cat.

MiniCat is a manufacturer in the Czech Republic who makes 3 different size beach cats to cater to different sailors. Car to water is an average of ~30 minutes.

The X-Cat is a multi-sport catamaran, this boat allows you to row, sail, and/or motor. This boat goes from car to water in ~10 minutes.

Once there is more interest, I would like to host casual races around the middle of the Chesapeake Bay for all beach cats in the future.

I love to help sailors with issues, and am always ready to provide my .02. While I may be biased, I won't be posting commercially most of the time, unless prompted to do so by someone else.

If you're curious about the boats I offer, you can visit my website at https://redbeardsailing.com

Thank you for reading, and I am more than happy to answer any questions about myself, or about my company.

--
    Alex Caslow
    Red Beard Sailing
    Portable Sailboat Distributor
    www.redbeardsailing.com
    --
  • Thanks for the introduction Alex.

I would welcome a discussion of the this type beachcats, I'm not sure how the inflatables fit the market in the USA, I know they are popular in parts Eastern Europe. I wonder if that is because of local conditions? Have the inflatables been invented to solve a storage problem that might not exist except in big cities. I don't know.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Thanks Damon!

So far the people that have purchased the inflatable MiniCats are people that live in apartments, or people that don't own a truck and want to sail their boat both at home and on vacation.

I think the inflatable boats were invented to solve storage and transportation issues. We transport 3 sailboats on the roof of our 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage (tiny car). These boats are also all check-able at the airport, which means you can take your boat anywhere you want!

The added carrying capacity is also helpful. The MiniCat 420 (13' 9" LOA) weighs 97 lbs in total, and can carry 992 lbs worth of crew and gear!

We do demo days often, if you're ever near the Chesapeake Bay area, feel free to hit me up, and I'd be glad to take you out for a sail.

--
    Alex Caslow
    Red Beard Sailing
    www.redbeardsailing.com
    --
  • One of the X-Cats with the rowing and sailing packages would be an interesting entry in the Everglades Challenge and even as a single handed entry to the Race 2 Alaska.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--
  • Damon,

I hadn't even considered this. I may do this in a coming year, or would be willing to sponsor someone. I'm going to start small and circumnavigate Kent Island this year.

--
    Alex Caslow
    Red Beard Sailing
    www.redbeardsailing.com
    --
  • Alex,

Neat concept boat. I wonder how they perform compared with a Hobie Wave or Hobie 16?

I know storage is an issue for some, but there is an active beachcat fleet in West River MD that offers year-round mast up storage at reasonable rates. This looks like a great option for the cruiser who wants a dinghy to play with while in port or on the mooring ball.

We have an active beach cat summer circuit in the mid-bay area, so please come check us out. I'll caveat that many of the boats are spinnaker equipped, but I know there is an active Hobie Cat District locally with several Hobie regattas in the area.

-Sam
  • Thanks Sam.

I think these boats will be more than competitive in light air vs a 16, but will max out around 17 knots. There is no trapeze option, as this boat isn't prone to flying a hull. I would expect the X-Cat to out perform the Wave, and be on part with the T2.

What'll be really nice is a conversation about new options in the development pipeline for X-Cat; they are working on a foil option, this would greatly increase performance. I am trying to convince them to make that option a priority.

I will try and reach out to Hobie regatta organizers, but I doubt I'll be allowed to compete on a non Hobie. I will make it a point to get in contact with the West River guys, I think they might enjoy a test sail ;).

--
    Alex Caslow
    Red Beard Sailing
    www.redbeardsailing.com
    --
  • Just a quick note.

We will be at the Annapolis Spring Sailboat Show this weekend if anyone is interested in seeing our two ultra portable catamarans the MiniCat and the X-Cat.

Thanks for everyone's support!

--
    Alex Caslow
    Red Beard Sailing
    www.redbeardsailing.com
    --
  • bohemianWe will be at the Annapolis Spring Sailboat Show this weekend if anyone is interested in seeing our two ultra portable catamarans the MiniCat and the X-Cat.

I love boat shows, wish I could get to Annapolis. Will be interested to hear what reaction you get and what other beachcats (if any) are represented.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--
  • We saw hobie at the last show with a getaway on display. We stole a few of their customers when they saw our stuff, and at our price point.

Usually every beach cat manufacturer shows up with their full line on display in Annapolis, it's a beautiful sight!

--
    Alex Caslow
    Red Beard Sailing
    www.redbeardsailing.com
    --
  • I wanted to let everyone that expressed interest in our X-Cat multi-sport catamaran, we will be having a Q&A and demo day with the designer of this boat just south of Annapolis at Bayfields Bed and Breakfast, on the West River, June 1st.

We will have food, drinks, and giveaways. This would be a great opportunity to test the boat out in all of its forms, and ask the designer why he designed it as such and get a first hand response and reasoning!

If you're interested in coming, please RSVP on this FB event: https://www.facebook.com/events/1784420221789043/

P.S. The designer and I are planning on competing in the Everglades Challenge next year, per everyone's suggestion!

--
    Alex Caslow
    Red Beard Sailing
    www.redbeardsailing.com
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.