Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Prindle with wings?  Bottom

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

• Anybody ever seen someone put wings on a Prindle? I'm looking for a good boat with wings, and a nice Prindle 19 just popped up in the Classifieds nearby. I know Hobie and Mystere still sell wing sets, and was wondering if the Prindle crossbars would be somewhat compatible, or at lease not require heavy modification.
  • So I ran a search here, and found that someone mentioned Hobie Getaway wings work. I guess the trampoline length is nearly identical?

--
    Hobie Getaway
    Prindle 18 - Sold
    South Padre Island, TX
    --
  • mystere doesn't sell wing kits
    they used to sell boats with wings.
    they were not kits that could to be used on other boats - but anything can be modified
  • I think the getaway wings would be the easiest to adapt to any cat. All the geometry in the Getaway wing is built into the casting, the rest is just straight aluminum poles.
  • Actually, I called Mystere a few weeks ago and they do sell wing kits. $1,350.

Edited by chump23 on May 09, 2016 - 05:48 PM.

--
    Hobie Getaway
    Prindle 18 - Sold
    South Padre Island, TX
    --
  • I had Prindle 16 with wings Manufacturer Coast Catamaran use to carry them for$1250.00. They discontinued and Coast out of bus. My cat was stolen approx 6 years ago, benches great for older guy like me single handing. Purchased home made aluminum benches/wings from a guy on this site in Baltimore area ,they were so bulky/heavy and slowed cat appreciably so I just discarded them , didnt want to slow down another cat sailor by selling a substandard product,we have benches/wings on my friend Joe Pogostins 570, they are awesome. and don't slow craft at all, nacra use to make them and he purchased them with cat . About 20 years ago saw custom made wooden benches on a hobie 16, Joe was making wooden rudders for our Prindles that we surfed in the Atlantic with holes drilled sideway across rudders at water line so they would break instead of tearing up rear transom on rough beach landings, the fiberglass rudder were only about $60.00 in those days and we would break one every summer weekend but the wooden ones were still cheaper for us. have seen benches/wings on hobie 21 and sailed it in Atlantic, also on mystere and small hobbies. I recall Beachcats site had instructions/photos how to construct and assemble. Wish they made them for my Dart 18.
  • I apologize if I am wrong and disseminated incorrect data.
    I spoke with them a few years ago when they started back up and asked if they were making wings - they said no (I guess that changed).

chump23Actually, I called Mystere a few weeks ago and they do sell wing kits. $1,350.Edited by chump23 on May 09, 2016 - 05:48 PM.
  • No worries. I do have a question for you MN3. Check your PM's.

--
    Hobie Getaway
    Prindle 18 - Sold
    South Padre Island, TX
    --
  • chump23No worries. I do have a question for you MN3. Check your PM's.

no need for this to be private

QuoteI have seen this Mystere 6.0 XL http://www.thebeachcats.c…-0-xl-w-2fwingseats.html in the classifieds. As sort of teh resident Mystere expert, what do you think about it?

I wouldn't buy it

I don't want a supercat mast (heavy as hell) nor do I want a 33' mast (why on god's green earth would you need a bigger mast, it's already all the power you could want)

I def don't want a self tacker (we have tried that on my "spare" 5.5. It sucked ass. It was terrible down wind and ... you still have to sheet a self tacker.. there is no savings with them (except some space)

besides all that ... the price isn't bad and the wings are a plus but again ... stepping a 33' mast? hell no (for me)
  • Thanks for the input, MN3. I'm looking at a couple boats and weighing the pluses and minuses. In this price range, with my requirements, nothing is perfect.

--
    Hobie Getaway
    Prindle 18 - Sold
    South Padre Island, TX
    --
  • keep an eye out for a mystere 5.5 as well as a 6.0

1 foot shorter mast (30) and 9" longer bows - that the only difference (unless its a 6.0 xl - it has 10' beams as an option)

I forgot about the 10' beams on the boat you listed . in my mind... that's not a benefit, that's a liability in most normal sailing (you need lost of weight on board and wind for them to be a bonus in my opinion)

The wings on my 6.0 are so heavenly I think I am going to modify my 5.5 to "wear em" too
  • 1 foot shorter mast (30) and 9" longer bows - that the only difference (unless its a 6.0 xl - it has 10' beams as an option)

Edit 9" shorter bows (on the 5.5)
  • Are you saying the 10' wide beams are better in more wind and with more weight?
    If so, that is a good thing. I will always have 400+ lbs of crew weight, and often 700 or more lbs. Also, the only time it isn't windy as hell down here is the dog days of summer, and even then it is no less than 5-10.

--
    Hobie Getaway
    Prindle 18 - Sold
    South Padre Island, TX
    --
  • You may look into a newer boat, I think you can get a new Capricorn F18 with wings. I seem to remember a photo of three different wing designs they have built at the factory in Australia. icon_cool

--
    Bill 404 21SE
    --
  • You may look into a newer boat, I think you can get a new Capricorn F18 with wings. I seem to remember a photo of three different wing designs they have built at the factory in Australia. icon_cool

--
    Bill 404 21SE
    --
  • Yes - you need wind to get that wide boat to tack
    weight is a drawback in light air but it's very nice to have rail meat when it's blowin 20+If you have no wind and a lot of weight ... your gonna be slow, tacking like a dog and probably be in the back of the fleet.

chump23Are you saying the 10' wide beams are better in more wind and with more weight?
    If so, that is a good thing. I will always have 400+ lbs of crew weight, and often 700 or more lbs. Also, the only time it isn't windy as hell down here is the dog days of summer, and even then it is no less than 5-10.
  • I have been wrong already once in this post, so lets try again

I don't THINK Capricorn's have wing options. Capricorns are f-18 race boats and wings would be out o the "box rules" that make it a f18

again, performance race boat ... not designed as a cruiser

http://www.capricornsaili…ering-delivery-shipping/ - scroll down page for all their options

bill40421SEYou may look into a newer boat, I think you can get a new Capricorn F18 with wings. I seem to remember a photo of three different wing designs they have built at the factory in Australia. icon_cool
  • Hobie Europe was all about wings on race boats for a while. And of course the Hobie 21SE and the Hobie 17 were standard with wings, the Hobie 21SE was designed specifically for a professional race circuit.

Brochure for three types of Hobie wings.

http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=61746&g2_serialNumber=4 http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=61747&g2_serialNumber=4

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • I ran wings on my P19 and the P19MX with a spinnaker. Performance Cat was making them for awhile. Really enjoyed them.
  • turboratI ran wings on my P19 and the P19MX with a spinnaker. Performance Cat was making them for awhile. Really enjoyed them.

This thread got derailed, but thanks for the answer. I did a search, but couldn't find any info on Performance Cat. Do you know if they still exist?

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.