Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Clueless Noob w/ Prindle 16 In Panama City Fl.  Bottom

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

• Like the title says, Noob with a Prindle 16 in Florida, tried reading a manual(s) watching videos, reading this site and others, but still having a hard time RIGGING my boat. I think it was 95% there, and now think it is 98% there, but not sure. Finally raised the main yesterday, and realized it has a couple small rips in it. I ride around the beach and bays, hoping to see someone sailing that can help steer me in a direction. The manual I have is too simple, pictures are awful, and I guess I am just stupid?

Any help, pointers, or links would be appreciated.

--
    Don
    Prindle 16
    Panama City, Fl.
    My 3 Year Adventure
    --
  • Welcome aboard, you are in a great area and have a great boat. I'm 2 hours east of you but ply the PC area every so often, I am happy to help if I can. Specifically what are your rigging hang ups? Get some sail repair tape on the tears while you are still learning(West Marine on 23rd has it)If you decide its for you CB sails is in PC to get you fixed up. Not sure where you have been launching but lake Powell would be great for learning, nothing really to go wrong other than drift to shore and walk back to the car. The bays are great as well. If you want to come over to the big bend area I'd be happy to show you what I know on my Hobie 16. Happy to help in PC as well but not over there as often. You're in prime beachcat territory so I am sure there is help near by.

Edited by jalex on Apr 24, 2016 - 09:46 PM.
  • Thanks jalex. Good tip on CB Sails, they fixed my jib zipper already, and recommended a patch (that I forgot when I picked up the jib). If I don't not find some help soon I may head your way. What do you know about Prindles?

--
    Don
    Prindle 16
    Panama City, Fl.
    My 3 Year Adventure
    --
  • They are great boats, you made a good choice.
  • P16 is a good boat, there's a Prindle FB group that might be worthwhile joining for you and maybe a few cat sailing lessons or maybe a primer on a dinghy sailing would bring you up to speed a bit faster. Rick White published a DVD and a few books on cat sailing that you can pick up on Amazon or at his online store for a few bucks.

--
    Marek
    1992 Prindle 19
    1981 Prindle 16
    --
  • dredman now think it is 98% there, but not sure. ..

What is the 2% you aren't sure of?

Don't know if it's any better than the one you have but there is a Prindle assembly manual here, just click on "Download Document" to get the pdf.
    http://www.thebeachcats.c…891&g2_imageViewsIndex=1

There are also a tremendous amount of Prindle 16 pictures and tips in the "Beachcat Technical" section of the Photo Albums.
    http://www.thebeachcats.c…pictures?g2_itemId=10570

Or you can go to the main photo albums page http://www.thebeachcats.com/pictures , click on "Search All Albums" type Prindle 16 into the search box and only check Titles for searching.

Ask specific questions, there are a lot of Prindle 16 sailors and former Prindle 16 sailors here.

One common issue is how to rig the trapeze, here is a diagram.
    http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=62071&g2_serialNumber=4

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Dredman I have a Prindle 18 which is a very similar boat. What are you having trouble with? Would be glad to help online but I am in Annapolis and unfortunately no planning any trips to Florida.

--
    Scott
    ARC 21
    Prindle 18
    Annapolis, Maryland
    --
  • marekliP16 is a good boat, there's a Prindle FB group that might be worthwhile joining for you and maybe a few cat sailing lessons or maybe a primer on a dinghy sailing would bring you up to speed a bit faster. Rick White published a DVD and a few books on cat sailing that you can pick up on Amazon or at his online store for a few bucks.

Thanks, I am not really afraid of sailing, I think I can master that fairly quickly. What I am clueless about is the rigging. I think I may be the only guy that has ever bought a sailboat, having never sailed?

--
    Don
    Prindle 16
    Panama City, Fl.
    My 3 Year Adventure
    --
  • DamonLinkous
    dredman now think it is 98% there, but not sure. ..

What is the 2% you aren't sure of?

Don't know if it's any better than the one you have but there is a Prindle assembly manual here, just click on "Download Document" to get the pdf.
    http://www.thebeachcats.c…891&g2_imageViewsIndex=1

Thanks Damon, I do have the Prindle manual, I think I got it here? It may be helpful for someone who has sailed before, but the info I have seen here is MUCH better than the manual, and I am clueless.

Rigged the trampoline weeks ago, thanks to a wonderful video made by the guys who made the tramp

I will make the list of problem areas in the morning, just wanted to reply quickly.

Mostly ropes, shackles, etc. I don't really know what I don't know, but I will make the list in the morning when I can see - thanks again!!

--
    Don
    Prindle 16
    Panama City, Fl.
    My 3 Year Adventure
    --
  • dredman

Mostly ropes, shackles, etc. I don't really know what I don't know, but I will make the list in the morning when I can see - thanks again!!

Don't feel bad, you really aren't the first to buy a sailboat without ever having seen one rigged. It's more common that you would think, and it makes the learning curve extremely steep. icon_cool

If you could get one hour with an experienced beachcat sailor it would save you tons of time and make you feel better about the whole thing.

Helping people get into the sport is a big part of the purpose of TheBeachcats.com, so ask your questions.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • QuoteIf you could get one hour with an experienced beachcat sailor it would save you tons of time and make you feel better about the whole thing.

Actually, if I could spend 10 MINUTES looking at a setup boat, I could probably be on the water this week? Spending some time with an actual sailor would be a huge bonus.

OK, let's start with the Jib

The Jib
    Looks like I have some of the rigging, rope(jib halyard) looks too short to reach up the mast and back down.
    - How long should the jib halyard be?
    - Does the rope feed thru the pigtail, or a pulley attached, or something else?
    - Where is the cleat on Jib Tack?

Enough questions to start? More cluelessness to come, I promise!

--
    Don
    Prindle 16
    Panama City, Fl.
    My 3 Year Adventure
    --
  • Something that has worked for me is to go to youtube and search your boat. Many times you can stop the action and grab some useful info in hi def.

--
    Mark Hirte
    Nacra 5.0 1983 - (1st cat)
    Deerfield, Il
    --
  • dredmanThe Jib
    Looks like I have some of the rigging, rope(jib halyard) looks too short to reach up the mast and back down.
    1 How long should the jib halyard be?
    2 Does the rope feed thru the pigtail, or a pulley attached, or something else?
    3 Where is the cleat on Jib Tack?

Answers
    1 You will need about 34' of 1/8 or 3/16 line with sister clips, S hook and halyard shackle. (Pete Begle)
    2 The jib halyard starts at the top of the jib, follows the forestay from the bridles up through the welded ring in the cable thimble up to the second thimble in the cable, then turns back down to the top of the jib where it is zipped into the luff as you hoist the sail.
    3 There should be a plastic cleat for the jib downhaul riveted to the jib near the foot.

Edited by klozhald on Apr 26, 2016 - 09:50 PM.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • Have a new Prindle jib halyard with sister clips ready to ship. $25 plus $8 shipping. If you don't have the plastic cleat on jib tack, just tie it to bridle. Pete 909-800-5237
  • mhirte
    go to youtube and search your boat

How do you think I got the trampoline on? :)

klozhald
    1 You will need about 34' of 1/8 or 3/16 line with sister clips, S hook and halyard shackle. (Pete Begle)

Looks like about 10' - I figured it was no where near enough
    S hook - CHECK!
    halyard shackle - CHECK!
    sister clips - Nope - calling Pete tomorrow :)

klozhald
    2 The jib halyard starts at the top of the jib, follows the forestay from the bridles up through the welded ring in the cable thimble up to the second thimble in the cable, then turns back down to the top of the jib where it is zipped into the luff as you hoist the sail.

So does the halyard simply run thru the 2nd thimble? No pulleys or shackles?

klozhald
    3 There should be a plastic cleat for the jib downhaul riveted to the jib near the foot.Edited by klozhald on Apr 26, 2016 - 09:50 PM.

plastic cleat for the jib - CHECK !!

I feel like I am making great progress.

Edited by dredman on Apr 27, 2016 - 01:47 AM.

--
    Don
    Prindle 16
    Panama City, Fl.
    My 3 Year Adventure
    --
  • Hey Don, I sent you a PM with my number. I live in Panama City as well and would be happy to help
  • awesome

--
    Don
    Prindle 16
    Panama City, Fl.
    My 3 Year Adventure
    --
  • Clueless Noob
    QuoteThanks, I am not really afraid of sailing, I think I can master that fairly quickly.

QuoteIf you could get one hour with an experienced beachcat sailor it would save you tons of time and make you feel better about the whole thing.

Actually, if I could spend 10 MINUTES looking at a setup boat,

hmmmm - this is screaming of headlines:
    "Capsized Catamaran found upside down, skipper found clinging to cooler"

I would recommend a lesson with a pro, will save you 100's of hours in the long run
    I can recommend a few if you want
  • MN3

Been joking about being in the news for a few weeks. Luckily I am a decent swimmer :)

MN3
    I would recommend a lesson with a pro, will save you 100's of hours in the long run

I am prepared to go the pro-route if I do not catch on quickly

--
    Don
    Prindle 16
    Panama City, Fl.
    My 3 Year Adventure
    --
  • I have only taken 1 catamaran lesson myself 16 years ago when i bought my first cat, a h16 (and the guy was terrible)
    I could use a lesson myself...

Even pro sailors and Olympians get training- and if the coach is good, it is always worth it, at any skill level.

there is nothing like having someone (who knows what they are talking about) behind you on a powerboat telling you on the fly adjustments and then post sail reviews and critiques.

that being said, go have fun!
    just don't be hazardous to yourself and consider who will have to save you if (when) you are capsized and can't right your cat

dredman
    MN3

Been joking about being in the news for a few weeks. Luckily I am a decent swimmer :)

MN3

I am prepared to go the pro-route if I do not catch on quickly

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.