Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Catalina Beachcat/camping trip - Oct 23 to 25  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2 - 3:

• As far as arrival time goes... leaving a bit later is a good idea. I think if we get to Valencia around 9 to 9:30 we might be ok. That is what we did last year and it wasn't too bad.

--
    Geno Hacker
    Lake Isabella, California
    Supercat 20, 1/2 of a B-Lion, H18, P16, H14
    --
  • We got back in yesterday afternoon from the trip to Goat Harbor on Catalina.

We had really nice wind on the way across with minimal swell. At one point I trapped out from the wings (we were on a Hobie 18). The winds let up as we came closer to the island which made for a mellow landing. The crossing took around 2 hours. I looked at the GPS a few times and we were consistently hitting speeds of 12 mph. Lance said his top speed was 15. Not bad for a cruising/camping trip. The beach at goat harbor was pretty steep but with the three of us working together on each boat, it was pretty easy to get the boats up above the high tide mark. It was rounded gravel. There were pick nick tables and a porta potty (not something we were expecting...the reservations said we needed to bring a suitable container/toilet with us).

The water was amazingly warm and clear. We did a lot of swimming and exploring on Saturday. In the afternoon, all three of us loaded up on the Hobie 18 and headed towards Two Harbors to enjoy the coastline and scope out "boat in" campsites for future trips.

Sunday we took off and headed towards Avalon to do a bit more exploring before making the crossing back. The wind was light. Lance was alone on his P19 and was able to sail for a while. Our loaded H18 was a dog in the light wind and we motor-sailed the entire way. I think the crossing took about 4 hours.

Overall it was a great trip. The weather was amazing, and the water was so warm and pleasant. Our small group worked well with each other and everything went really smooth. We are already talking about another trip next month.

Edited by genehacker on Oct 26, 2015 - 08:02 PM.

--
    Geno Hacker
    --
  • Geno .... You should be able to get permission at Two harbors to pull the boats up on the beach at Little Fishermans Cove ( the far eastern end of Isthmus Cove ) They used to charge us $10 a night per boat. They would let us sleep on the boats ... but nothing could be put on the beach. The preferred crossing would have us leave Angels Gate and sail up the coast a bit to the Furman Point Buoy before crossing over. this way, you quite often would miss the wind shadow as you get close to the island. Same with the return run ..... we often found that the guys that would shove off 11:00 am sunday morning ... usually got beat by the guys that waiting till 12 or 12:30 before leaving.

mark corby
  • Mark,

I have anchored in Little Fishermans cove (save a few bucks compared to getting a mooring) and I have camped above it several times. Having been to Two Harbors dozens of times over the years, for me, beach cat trips are a way to explore sections of the Island I have not seen before.

There are several "boat in" campsites between Two Harbors and Avalon. We stayed at Goat harbor which was idea, but some of the others look promising as well. I look forward to future trips to new spots.

Other than a few boats that anchored offshore for a few hours, we had the cove to ourselves. It was a perfect "get away trip" compared to staying somewhere with development and crowds.

On Sunday there was little to no wind even in the late afternoon. We were very happy to have the motor. Last year we did a similar trip with light wind in both directions. The link to that thread and trip report is in the first page of this thread (possibly 2nd page).

--
    Geno Hacker
    --
  • A couple of pics.
    https://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a5ce07b3127cceea211f12169000000030O00AYuWLFo3aN2YPbz4O/cC/f%3D0/ls%3D00307474119120151027030641317.JPG/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D720/ry%3D480/
    https://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a5ce07b3127cceea2061a6b76700000030O00AYuWLFo3aN2YPbz4O/cC/f%3D0/ls%3D00307474119120151027030629821.JPG/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D720/ry%3D480/

Edited by onekiwi on Oct 27, 2015 - 01:00 PM.

--
    Carl

Dart 18x2
    Nacra 5.8
    1967 B-LION for sale
    1985 Hobie 18
    Windrider Rave x2 for sale
    --

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2 - 3:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.