--
    Carl

Dart 18x2
    Nacra 5.8
    1967 B-LION for sale
    1985 Hobie 18
    Windrider Rave x2 for sale
    --
  • genehackerSearching online for more info about Goat Harbor I came across this picture of a cat pulled up on the beach....

http://www.thebeachcats.com/pictures?g2_itemId=18822

The album was posted by "Gary" with the boat "Whisk".

There is many other pictures online with sea kayaks pulled up on the beach.

I just have to pop in here and chuckle. 10 years ago I think Gary was responsible for 25% of the posts on the beachcats and probably coordinated every trip to catalina. Now he has become some guy who posted a pic. :)

I've never been to goat harbor, but I've done the crossing to Two Harbors several times in the past. Does anyone still go there on beach cat?

-Eric
    SC20
    H18
  • efinley
    I just have to pop in here and chuckle. 10 years ago I think Gary was responsible for 25% of the posts on the beachcats and probably coordinated every trip to catalina. Now he has become some guy who posted a pic. :)

Hey Eric, good to see you here!

Blast from the past, one of Bill and Gary's excellent adventures to the Channel Islands onboard a Mystere 6.0 in 2001.

http://www.thebeachcats.c…hives/v5-i1/feature1.htm

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Hey Damon,
    Yeah I'm still around just not as much time for web forums now that I have kids. :) But my brother has become more active on this site since I left. Still sailing though!

-Eric
    SC20
    H18
    aka - tallest guy on the beachcats. :)
  • Yep, I'm taking the P19. Should we bring something to slide the hulls above the high tide line?

Bill Matson is still making crossings to the local Channel Islands and has wild stories about encounters with heavy winds this past summer. On his most recent trip to Santa Cruz Island, he sailed back his H18 on jib only doing 12 knots in 10 ft seas.
    Marek and Bill had a Mr Toads Wild Ride adventure a couple of months before during another Santa Cruz crossing.
  • Eric, you should consider joining and sharing some of your experiences /stories from those earlier days with Gary. I just sent my 3rd son off to college and am looking forward to more of these trips, the one we did last year to Parsons Landing was a lot of fun. The Channel Islands offer some of the most beautiful untouched nature in Southern California with beautiful, marine life, flora and fauna to enjoy. If you have a liking for a bit of adventure and don't need all the creature comforts then a trip like this can be a really fun thing...

Gary Friesen's socal yahoogroup is another option to post about this trip to, just google it. I posted something there last year and got a few responses.

efinley
    genehackerSearching online for more info about Goat Harbor I came across this picture of a cat pulled up on the beach....

http://www.thebeachcats.com/pictures?g2_itemId=18822

The album was posted by "Gary" with the boat "Whisk".

There is many other pictures online with sea kayaks pulled up on the beach.

I've never been to goat harbor, but I've done the crossing to Two Harbors several times in the past. Does anyone still go there on beach cat?

-Eric
    SC20
    H18

--
    Marek
    1992 Prindle 19
    1981 Prindle 16
    --
  • spfxYep, I'm taking the P19. Should we bring something to slide the hulls above the high tide line?

Bill Matson is still making crossings to the local Channel Islands and has wild stories about encounters with heavy winds this past summer. On his most recent trip to Santa Cruz Island, he sailed back his H18 on jib only doing 12 knots in 10 ft seas.
    Marek and Bill had a Mr Toads Wild Ride adventure a couple of months before during another Santa Cruz crossing.

I'm gonna walk back those sea heights a tad, after checking buoy data. Probably in the neighborhood of 6 or 7 feet. Steep as hell though, right on the beam. (I've got some GoPro video of some of it, but video flattens conditions, and a fisheye flattens them even more. ) On the big ones, had to head down and surf them to prevent a broach. When my tiller arm got tired of that, I tried heading up instead. The problem there was that as the bows left the water, the wind would blow them downwind, so I went back to surfing figuring I'd have Ben Gay for the arm when I got home.

The decision to sail on jib only was after the experience I had with Marek at Scorpion on Santa Cruz. Winds where 30+ at the ranger station. The blowing sand took the windward registration sticker off the boat. It was the first time using a custom reef point on the new sails, and there were issues with that, but we left the beach away, on a run. As soon as we hit the wind line, with are weight as far back as we could get it, we pitchpoled both hulls to the crossbar. Broke the gooseneck pin, which caused some very interesting issues on capsize, and also had a rudder problem too detailed to get into here. Left the boat there, took the ferry home, then came back a week later with parts. Had a wonderful sail home.

Didn't mean to get into war stories here, but what I determined from both experiences here is that if you've got really heavy conditions, and your destination is anywhere from a beam reach to a run, sailing on jib alone is very doable. I was getting 12 knots of boat speed, and had good control. The downside is raising the main at sea which can be challenge depending on the sea state. The real solution for me is to get my reef point straightened out.

Sorry for getting wordy. I need to frequent this forum more as you guys have some interesting stuff going on. I wish I could join you on the Catalina trip, but I've got weekend commitments through Oct. Maybe next time.

Will anyone have SPOT beacons on board? I'd love to follow you guys on your trip.

Bill Mattson
    Hobie 18 "Cheap Thrill"

Edited by mattson on Oct 11, 2015 - 01:33 PM.

--
    Bill Mattson
    Prindle 19 "Gelli Bean"
    Prindle 19 "Cat's Pajamas"
    Nacra 5.2 (Will sail her a bit and let her name herself)
    --
  • Just another fun story....

Years ago, we took a trip to Two Harbors with pretty good sized group of cats. I had purchased the boat only 3 weeks or so before. The next day some of us took a daysail up the coast, and one of my rudders snapped off right below the casting. (Apparently the previous owner had left them in constant sunlight). We limped back to Two Harbors. In a exercise of Positive Thinking, I told my son and Buzz Waterstreet that the next time they saw me, I would have a Hobie 18 rudder in hand. I then marched off to town wondering where in the heck I would find one.

Long story, but I ended up meeting an old Hobie 16 sailor who was building a deck and said I was welcome to any parts I needed that were laying in the crawlspace under his house. I found complete hobie 16 rudder assemblies, crawled back out to borrow a couple wrenches, then went back under again to get a rudder. I then borrowed the guys drill to drill the Hobie 18 bolt pattern in the Hobie 16 rudder. (I had brought the remaining section of rudder with me to use as a template). Came back with the rudder to the amazement of the others. Good times!

Bill Mattson
    Hobie 18 "Cheap Thill"

PS: In my last post, it's kinda funny that the second word of Ben G-a-y is automatically censored by the forum.

Edited by mattson on Oct 11, 2015 - 01:50 PM.

--
    Bill Mattson
    Prindle 19 "Gelli Bean"
    --
  • Pretty far out for reliable weather forecasting but the long range looks promising...

Here is the long term for Avalon:

FRI Oct 23 84° 68° mostly sunny S 7 mph
    SAT Oct 24 82° 67° Sunny NW 7 mph
    SUN Oct 25 81° 66° partly cloudy S 6 mph

I would be happy if that holds. Hopefully the winds would be a bit higher in the channel.

--
    Geno Hacker
    Lake Isabella, California
    Supercat 20, 1/2 of a B-Lion, H18, P16, H14
    --
  • On a side note this trip will be on Carl's (OneKiwi) last weekend as a single man. So it just might be his last sailing trip ever icon_wink

Edited by genehacker on Oct 15, 2015 - 07:11 PM.

--
    Geno Hacker
    --
  • Dude, 2nd to last weekend!!

--
    Carl

Dart 18x2
    Nacra 5.8
    1967 B-LION for sale
    1985 Hobie 18
    --
  • I'm curious as to what you guys plan on using for beach rollers, if any.

I used to carry ABS pipe with fenders on each end (resembling large cue tips) for sand beaches, and short sections of ABS pipe to use as skids on rocky beaches. On my most recent trips, I found that just carrying the short sections is sufficient as they work as either rollers or skids. Plus, they stow easily in the deck ports.

Bill Mattson
    Hobie 18 "Cheap Thrill"

--
    Bill Mattson
    Prindle 19 "Gelli Bean"
    --
  • Bill, I plan on bring some short sections of ABS to help slide the boat up the beach.

Weather is still looking good:
    Avalon forecast:
    FRI Oct 23 78° 67° partly cloudy WNW 9 mph
    SAT Oct 24 83° 68° Mostly Sunny SSW 7 mph
    SUN Oct 25 81° 68° Mostly Sunny NNW 7 mph

--
    Geno Hacker
    --
  • If the forecast holds, the wind directions look pretty good as well. Broad reach out and a close hulled back.

Here is GPS for Goat Harbor

DD

DM
    33° 25.042' N
    118° 23.737' W

DMS
    33° 25' 2.52'' N
    118° 23' 44.22'' W

GPS for the light house near the entrance to LA harbor (closest opening to Cabrillo)

DD

DMS
    33°42′30″N
    118°15′05″W

Edited by genehacker on Oct 18, 2015 - 06:02 PM.

--
    Geno Hacker
    --
  • Did final checks today. Motor mount and motor work well. New/old Dacron sail with H16 battens worked well. Centerboard box leaks have been mostly eliminated. Newly drilled rudders and open cleat hold down works.

The winds were raging today +15 and some six foot swells. Both Bob and I went out solo and had a blast.

What time do you plan on being in San Perdo? Traffic is going to suck unless its before 6 or after 12.
  • Could'nt sleep Lance?We will probably get there around 9.30- 10, I m thinking,no way out of traffic for us.Going to install the motor mount and wings in the next couple of days.Will break out the old sails for the 18 also.
    Who is going ?
    15 knts would be great.

Edited by onekiwi on Oct 19, 2015 - 11:40 AM.

--
    Carl

Dart 18x2
    Nacra 5.8
    1967 B-LION for sale
    1985 Hobie 18
    --
  • Ha ,I'm a night owl and had to be at work by 6:30. Winds look good after 12 but I'll leave sooner if pos. Three boats total, bob solo. Plan on a 2 1/2-3hr drive to get thru la at that time.
  • Can't wait to hear about your trip! Be sure and report back.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Will do Damon, we may have some video this time.

--
    Carl

Dart 18x2
    Nacra 5.8
    1967 B-LION for sale
    1985 Hobie 18
    --
  • We are close enough in to get the forecast for the channel. It looks like they are calling for light winds on Friday.

Friday Variable winds 5 kt or less. Patchy fog before 11am. W swell 3 ft. Wind waves around 1 ft.
    Friday Night WNW wind 5 to 10 kt. Mostly clear. W swell 3 ft. Wind waves 1 to 2 ft.
    Saturday WNW wind 5 to 10 kt. Mostly sunny. W swell 2 ft. Wind waves around 1 ft.
    Saturday Night WNW wind 5 to 10 kt. Mostly clear. W swell 2 ft. Wind waves 1 to 2 ft.
    Sunday WNW wind 5 to 10 kt, with gusts as high as 15 kt. Sunny. W swell 2 ft. Wind waves 1 to 2 ft.

--
    Geno Hacker
    --

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2 - 3 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.