Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Beaching in South Orange County  Bottom

• I am looking to buy a used Cat and keep in Dana Point Harbor. I previously sailed off the beach in Long Beach and have no idea if there is anything like that down south ? I haven't sailed a catamaran for 25 years and want to get back into it again. I would possibly consider a partnership in my area as well.
  • I believe you only two choices are Long Beach Clairmont ramp or Mission Bay in San Diego... sad that the whole thing started in the South Orange Count and there a no beach that I know of that are friendly to beach cats.

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • I tried to find out if I could leave an 18ft catamaran on the beach in Mission Bay and I was basically told no. They have beach storage for locals. When I asked there was a waiting list and all boats need to be under 14ft. I asked about anchoring in the public short term Anchorage area and they said the boat would need to be occupied overnight and would need an appropriate toilet.
    Not many areas are beachcat friendly.

Finding mast up storage near a ramp could be a good option.

--
    Geno Hacker
    Lake Isabella, California
    Supercat 20, 1/2 of a B-Lion, H18, P16, H14
    --
  • I joined and used the Cabrillo Beach Yacht Club in San Pedro for quite a few years. Sailed my Tornado in and out of there with no problems. Loved the winds in the "Gulch". No beach storage but a very nice dry storage and launch facility.
  • Genehacker, John is talking about Mission Bay Yacht Club which is very friendly towards beach catamarans.

It is a general shame that mast up beach storage is no longer a reality in most of the United States. I think that has killed a lot of beach cat sailing off. Heck, most east coast U.S sailing isn't even done in the ocean anymore!! Its more important that the average american can take their iphone, 3 coolers, grill, lawn chair and tent to the beach than to provide for some mast up storage, which god forbid might block the ocean view of the top 1% and their mcmansions. Meanwhile in Europe catsailors and the beach community get along just fine with mast up storage every 5km or less.
  • x

Edited by MN3 on Jul 11, 2017 - 02:13 PM.
  • Hi, im in dana and have a hobie 18, thinking of selling but might consider partner.

has new tramp, sails are excellent, hardly used. its been in storage many years.
    Larry
  • bch2mtnsHi, im in dana and have a hobie 18, thinking of selling but might consider partner.

has new tramp, sails are excellent, hardly used. its been in storage many years.
    Larry

Please call or text me 626 357-3873
  • samc99usGenehacker, John is talking about Mission Bay Yacht Club which is very friendly towards beach catamarans.

It is a general shame that mast up beach storage is no longer a reality in most of the United States. I think that has killed a lot of beach cat sailing off. Heck, most east coast U.S sailing isn't even done in the ocean anymore!! Its more important that the average american can take their iphone, 3 coolers, grill, lawn chair and tent to the beach than to provide for some mast up storage, which god forbid might block the ocean view of the top 1% and their mcmansions. Meanwhile in Europe catsailors and the beach community get along just fine with mast up storage every 5km or less.

Yes, MBYC....

Santa Barbara has a very friendly beach cat beach... Ledbetter Beach. The cost for the permit is $250 and you should get a parking permit too... $120.

My Prindle 18 summered there last year and liked the situation..

Getting back to Samc99us.... with many of my travels to the EU and other places I can't believe the liberal attitude towards beach cats on both the ocean and lakes.

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • Still looking for a 18-21' Cat here in So Cal. If anyone here knows of anything please let me know. I want something very clean, trailerable and don't mind replacing a trampoline, lines and polishing things up. I don't want something that needs fiberglass repair or has issues like delamination etc..

Edited by expoguy on Jul 18, 2017 - 06:58 PM.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.