Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Catalina Beachcat/camping trip - Oct 23 to 25  Bottom

Go to page 1 - 2 - 3 [+1]:

• Carl and myself are planning on doing a weekend catamaran trip to Goat Harbor on Catalina from October 23 to 25 (Friday to Sunday). We are taking Carl's Hobie 18 with a 2.5 HP motor.

There are pictures of Catamarans on the the beach at Goat Harbor if you search online. Neither Carl or myself have been to this landing which is a big part of the appel.

If others would like to join on it looks like there is room for up to 12 people total (4 people per site: 3 sites).

Obviously the trip is weather dependent, but reservations are required so we need to make plans now. I have reserved one of the three sites. If anyone else is intrested in going, it makes sence to reserve a diffrent site. If we have three crews going, and we reserve all three sites, we could have the entire cove to ourselves.

The crossing from San Pedro (where we are launching) should be a reach to Goat Harbor is typical westerly wind.

Last year we did a trip to Catalina and there was vertually no wind so a motor is a really good idea.

--
    Geno Hacker
    Lake Isabella, California
    Supercat 20, 1/2 of a B-Lion, H18, P16, H14
    --
  • If the wind dies, will you tow me across with too :)? Would love to do this trip, don't know if my wife will let me me :(.
  • We had a really good time doing a similar trip last fall.

Our motor is very small and light weight, but it is also just enough to push our boat. We towed another cat away from the island last year so they could get out to where there was wind. But otherwise, it is too long of a crossing for anyone to be towed.

There is plenty of time to fabricate a motor mount and find a small motor...they are pretty inexpensive.

--
    Geno Hacker
    --
  • yes, motor mount shouldn't be too hard depending on boat type to rig something yourself. I still need to work up something for my Prindle 19. Probably do something with L brackets and a board as transom to mount the motor we discussed with might work well on the stern for Prindles without a lip. I have a light weight 2.5HP Mercury, maybe 30lbs or so..my boat was overloaded last time around we went. Would probably dump a lot of that ballast next time around, e.g. no tent, just a sleeping bag should do.

--
    Marek
    1992 Prindle 19
    1981 Prindle 16
    --
  • Only kidding about being towed. I'm staring to consider this. How much gas are you taking? Is there cell phone reception from the island?
  • kevinlbatchelorOnly kidding about being towed. I'm staring to consider this. How much gas are you taking? Is there cell phone reception from the island?

you can buy gas at Avalon, so probably a 2Gal would do. Service is patchy overall, near Avalon could be better. Wouldn't count on it. There's trackers and GPS locators, some with text service. The cheapest is probably SPOT or Delorme's InReach Iridium that I use with family. They have various plans some subscription some one month at a time.

Edited by marekli on Sep 02, 2015 - 03:11 PM.

--
    Marek
    1992 Prindle 19
    1981 Prindle 16
    --
  • I think we took about 2 gallons last year. We ended up using most of it on the way over so we went into Two Harbors to buy more. I plan on taking more this year. Last year we used small camping gas bottles (spun aluminum) so we could refill easily while out in the ocean. That worked pretty well. This year I think we will do the same but possibly take a separate 2 gallon gas can to refill the small bottles for the ride home.

Hopefully there is good wind and no gas is needed.

Fuel consumption also depends on what kind of motor. I have a modern 4 stroke so it is pretty easy on gas, an older 2 stroke will consume much more.

I have always been able to get at least texts out when over at Catalina Island but like Marek says...it is a bit spotty. We used VHF radios to communicate with on the water.

--
    Geno Hacker
    --
  • here's a boat for sale that comes with an electric Torqueedo...seems the engine more than doubled the price for the boat:

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/boa/5209430006.html

--
    Marek
    1992 Prindle 19
    1981 Prindle 16
    --
  • Not so. The boat sold for $3000 two years ago and was in very good condition. Torqeedo was needed to get out of his canal--probably should be sold separately. The 18-2 is a quality boat & few around. Pete
  • I'm in, but debating bringing a motor. If it's dead like last time, I'll probably turn back and save myself from another 12 hour crossing. I plan on being prepared to leave the first sign of favorable winds.
  • I found this report of a group which hiked from Goat Harbor to the airport. My first choice for Saturday would be to sail to other coves and "explore" the coast a bit, but its good to know hiking is an option from Goat Harbor.

http://www.gohikeit.com/2014/08/catalina-airport-hiking-trail.html

--
    Geno Hacker
    --
  • that looks like a fun hike from Goat Harbor...like Gene said it's good to know there's a few things folks can do on Saturday. If someone is looking for crew send me a PM, I'd probably be up for it.

--
    Marek
    1992 Prindle 19
    1981 Prindle 16
    --
  • there was an incident with 2 fatalities where a dinghy was run over by a power boat at 1am in the pitch dark in Descanso Bay by Avalon last weekend. Probably due to failure to use running lights. Last year we spent half a day in low winds trying to reach the Parsons Bay and around 3 hours or so sailing in the dark. It must have been 10-11pm by the time Gene/Carl guided us into Parsons Bay with flash lights.
    Fortunately, I had running lights with me on our cat - we had at least one boat motoring by us. You can buy portable ones that mount with velcro straps or suction cups for a few bucks online. It's a good investment, especially if you decide to forgo the motor...

--
    Marek
    1992 Prindle 19
    1981 Prindle 16
    --
  • I have inexpensive removable battery operated running lights. If you are only sailing they might not be required but still a really good idea. At minimum a flashlight is required. A good bright flashlight to light up your sail will make you very visible from far away but navigation lights are better as they let the other vessel know which way you are traveling.

--
    Geno Hacker
    --
  • Here is the direct link to last years trip. If anyone is intrested in this trip or a similar trip, it has a ton of info...
    http://www.thebeachcats.com/forums/viewtopic/topic/14181/start/100

--
    Geno Hacker
    --
  • I just booked our second site. I believe we have three boats going and Dartman a maybe.
  • Sounds great Lance, better start whistling up the wind!

--
    Carl

Dart 18x2
    Nacra 5.8
    1967 B-LION for sale
    1985 Hobie 18
    Windrider Rave x2 for sale
    --
  • Searching online for more info about Goat Harbor I came across this picture of a cat pulled up on the beach....

http://www.thebeachcats.com/pictures?g2_itemId=18822

The album was posted by "Gary" with the boat "Whisk".

There is many other pictures online with sea kayaks pulled up on the beach.

--
    Geno Hacker
    --
  • It sounds like another cat sailor booked a second campsite. If anyone else is interested, book the third ASAP. It would be great to have the cove to ourselves.

--
    Geno Hacker
    --
  • I just bought a used 2hp motor for the trip...now for the mount. Precious few weekends left to prep the boat and trailer, working way too much these days. I plan on heading down the 21st to avoid morning traffic the 22nd and stepping the mast. I'll leave the boat overnight since the parking gate is attended 24hrs and find a nearby hotel.

There are people looking for a ride. More Cat sailors would be great. Still at three maybe four boats.

Go to page 1 - 2 - 3 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.