Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Referbing older Hobie 18 with question  Bottom

• I'm currently replacing all the soft lines. There's a string that runs from one jib block to the other, underneath the tramp. Does anyone know what this is for? Tensioning the jib blocks? Thanks

--
    Goodsailing

Laser-Standard Rig (Sold 6/15)
    H18 (Sold 7/15)
    Building 19' Tacking Outrigger
    Balt-Wash Area
    --
  • I don't have anything like that on my 18. Maybe it holds them up.

--
    Jeff
    Houston TX
    1986 Hobie 18 Sail# 13031
    --
  • It should be a bungee cord. It is tied to the fairlead on the under side of the jib cleats. This keeps the blocks from flopping around and the jib sheet from getting twisted (i.e., it keeps the jib blocks pointing inward).

sm
  • Aaaah yes. Thanks for the info guys. I'll replace the static string with a bungee. I guess they were short of bungee material and just cinched it up with twine. Looks as though string worked for them.

--
    Goodsailing

H18 (Sold 7/15)
    Balt-Wash Area
    --
  • DogboyIt should be a bungee cord. It is tied to the fairlead on the under side of the jib cleats. This keeps the blocks from flopping around and the jib sheet from getting twisted (i.e., it keeps the jib blocks pointing inward).

sm

I've never used anything like this but it does make sense, the blocks will flop around backwards and jam and the worst possible moment. But how can you run the bungee under the tramp on a H18?

The sides of the tramp slide into tracks and there aren't any holes or gaps except in the middle lacing, and not even that if you have a bias cut tramp. Punch and extra grommet near the jib blocks? But the jib blocks slide fore and aft a couple of feet depending on point of sail.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • I can't speak to a non-OEM tramp. On the OEM solid vinyl tramp, there are two small grommets in the middle of each tramp section. I suspect the grommets were originally intended for drainage, but some people use them to run a bungee to each jib block as I described above. We used to do this, but don't anymore.

The mesh OEM tramp does not have these grommets, so you can't set this system up without installing grommets in the tramp.

You are correct, the jib cars slide fore and aft. This is why you use a bungee cord for this system, to allow for movement of the jib car. The bungee will still go slack if you move the car all the way to the back of the track and may inhibit you from placing the car all the way forward, but 99% of the time, you will run the jib cars near the middle of the track on a H18 anyway.

Like I said, we used to use this system, but don't anymore. I guess it helps, but if you have an attentive crew, they can stay on top of keeping the jib system running clean without this line. The OP asked what the line was there for, and the reason is to prevent flopping of the jib blocks.

sm
  • The string is rigged through the drain holes in the one piece tramp. String, not bungee, won't allow movement of the cleats to different positions in the tracks. You manually must set the cleats in different positions. Hence the question: How often do you have to move the cleats that one might just use a string in a, set -it -forget- it mode? No need for a bungee, but static string. Set, go sail etc.

--
    Goodsailing

H18 (Sold 7/15)
    Balt-Wash Area
    --
  • goodsailingThe string is rigged through the drain holes in the one piece tramp. String, not bungee, won't allow movement of the cleats to different positions in the tracks. You manually must set the cleats in different positions. Hence the question: How often do you have to move the cleats that one might just use a string in a, set -it -forget- it mode? No need for a bungee, but static string. Set, go sail etc.

Goodsailing,

Don't spend too much time thinking about this, it's not a standard Hobie 18 rig, in fact I've never seen it done. Forget about it and go sailing.

What area will you be sailing? Connecting with a local H18 sailor will advance your learning curve more than any thing else. Also please add your signature and avatar so everyone can get to know you, instructions are in my signature below.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • QuoteDon't spend too much time thinking about this, it's not a standard Hobie 18 rig, in fact I've never seen it done. Forget about it and go sailing.

I would but it's in the teens here near the Chesapeake Bay. No one is sailing. The boat is out back and I'm working on it. What else is there to think about while deciding what lines to buy and where they should go! In getting this boat ready to sail. LOL Yes, I intend to talk to like minded sailors should I see them when I or my crew decide to go out. icon_smile But by that time, with the help of many of you fine sailors here, I'll be prepared enough. BTW--Hobie spec'd the line were talking about as I've learned since posting... they too say bungee.

The question remains: does anyone move the jib cleats forward or aft while sailing or are they static via the sail.

--
    Goodsailing

H18 (Sold 7/15)
    Balt-Wash Area
    --
  • goodsailing
    QuoteDon't spend too much time thinking about this, it's not a standard Hobie 18 rig, in fact I've never seen it done. Forget about it and go sailing.

I would but it's in the teens here near the Chesapeake Bay. No one is sailing. The boat is out back and I'm working on it. What else is there to think about while deciding what lines to buy and where they should go! In getting this boat ready to sail. LOL Yes, I intend to talk to like minded sailors should I see them when I or my crew decide to go out. icon_smile But by that time, with the help of many of you fine sailors here, I'll be prepared enough. BTW--Hobie spec'd the line were talking about as I've learned since posting... they too say bungee.

The question remains: does anyone move the jib cleats forward or aft while sailing or are they static via the sail.

When racing you can move them back and forth regularly as you adjust between upwind and downwind legs. When I started racing I did nothing, then I adjusted them too much, at one point I was on a boat with a damaged track and the cars were stuck... AND I WON! So I ran the rest of the season without adjusting them and did better. Then as I learned what everything else was and how to adjust it, I started moving them again. So the answer to you question is, "it depends!" You can get away without moving them at all, and you can move them every time you tack.

The "string" may have been old bungee that stretched out. It may have also been a replacement for someone that never moved them. Keeping the farelead pointed aft is much more beneficial under heavier wind conditions than adjusting the jib cars regularly IMO. I ran the bungee until I installed Oxen blocks.

Tom
  • QuoteTom

At $279 each for Oxen blocks, enough money to buy a lot of gas to and from the put-in, I'll keep what is there till I sail the boat a few times.

--
    Goodsailing

H18 (Sold 7/15)
    Balt-Wash Area
    --
  • I agree, I bought a boat for $500 that came with 3 oxen blocks on it, a nice set of sails and other fun parts. I wouldn't pay 600 for them.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.