Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Dunedin Causeway  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2 - 3:

• I had my first trapeze run (on this boat) today. I managed 12.9knots top speed.

There was a new person at the beach with a (I think) Hobie Adventure Island. Ray showed up just as I was leaving with a Sunfish. I think he was going to show a lady how to sail it.

https://deckee.com/maps/trips/summary/558493
  • I finally accomplished my goal of circumnavigating Clearwater Island! 21.53 Nm in 5h 18m. My max speed was only 8.2 knots this time, but I was tacking up the ICW on the wire the whole way.

However, getting under Clearwater Memorial Causeway was a bear. The wind was so light at that point that it was all I could do to negate the current.

https://www.gaiagps.com/p…layer=GaiaTopoRasterFeet

Edited by danielt1263 on Oct 01, 2023 - 09:11 AM.
  • danielt1263I finally accomplished my goal of circumnavigating Clearwater Island! 21.53 Nm in 5h 18m. My max speed was only 8.2 knots this time, but I was tacking up the ICW on the wire the whole way.

However, getting under Clearwater Memorial Causeway was a bear. The wind was so light at that point that it was all I could do to negate the current.

https://www.gaiagps.com/p…layer=GaiaTopoRasterFeetEdited by danielt1263 on Oct 01, 2023 - 09:11 AM.

NICE!
    we used to anchor up here to group up or for a rest when we sailed south off the causeway and under the bridges - https://www.google.com/ma…2Fg%2F1tddbmyh?entry=ttu. there is a sign about 1/2 mile north of that shell tree that reads "welcome to the real Florida"

at high tide you can actually sail on the inside, anchor in snake infested, chest high waters and walk over the dune to the same spot.

as per the wind and tide under the memorial ... yes knowledge of: tides, wind direction to include:anticipated and realized sea-breeze, expected wind speed, tides at both bridges (memorial and sand key) AND hurricane pass all come into play when you are gonna go under the bridges. the both can get crazy when the tides are changing and are multiplied at high tide times of the month (we are at full moon/king tides) - and of course motor boaters, easy right?

another nice ride is stay on the inside and sail due south under the belleair causeway and stop at B1 (what we called the first island south of the causeway). that is the last causeway and need to hail a bridge tender any further south. tides and wind direction count here as well. nothing worse (or better if that is your kind thing) than a 13 mile or so hike while taking it on the nose (closed hauled) the entire time
  • I was thinking about sailing around Honeymoon Island next, but I'm not sure of the height of the bridges on the Dunedin Causeway.

I was also thinking about going north next time up to Anclote. The Hobie Adventure Island was asking me about that trip because he was planing on taking it.

I'm not much of a camper, I just like to sail. I think it would be fun buzzing some shorelines though. If I get my nerve up and the wind is right, I'd love to buzz pier 60 (S) or Fred Howard Park (N).

I had someone come up to me while I was rigging to tell me how there used to be dozens of boats up and down the beach and he was one of them. I guess I'm late to the party. Ray said he mainly sails on weekdays so I'm the only one there 90% of the time. Maybe I should try the beach by the CCSC...
  • MN3reports from all the cat sailors i hang with are pretty good

Glad to hear it.
    Keep us posted.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • I got the low down on the Dunedin causeway bridges. Apparently they are only 20 feet so no way I could get under.

I went out today under just the main and still was out on the trapeze. It was so shallow though. I would be trapped out going well, then stop when the leeward skeg hit bottom (I was keeping my rudders up at skeg height so they wouldn't kick up.)

During one tack, my rudder extension got under the shoulder strap of my trapeze harness pinning me. I almost capsized but I managed to keep in irons and heave to from there. Then I had to take my harness off to free the tiller.

The wind was running 12-15 knots while I was out there. The most wind I've dealt with so far on this boat.
  • Sounds fun! What's been your top speed so far?

--
    Chuck C.
    H21SE 408
    --
  • charlescarlisSounds fun! What's been your top speed so far?

Top speed so far is 12.9 knots. I know the boat can do better, but I'm not going to push it until I'm confident that I can right the boat after a capsize...

I posted it onto the total joyrider speedstick https://totaljoyrider.com…-speed-stick-leaderboard
  • QuoteI got the low down on the Dunedin causeway bridges. Apparently they are only 20 feet so no way I could get under.

you would have to call the bridge tender to open - I have never seen it done on a beach cat - but why not?

Quote was keeping my rudders up at skeg height so they wouldn't kick up.

Do you have cassette rudders (rise go up and down and NOT swing). because if you have regular kick up rudders - how do you hang on with them not all the way down (this would add TONS of pressure on your tiller extension/rudders/castings)

QuoteThe wind was running 12-15 knots while I was out there. The most wind I've dealt with so far on this boat.

Rey and I were camping on the big island by the bridge the past 2 weeks. It was crazy wind last week (30-45). Rey sailed in 30+ 2times to go to shore and back last wed. He is nuts! :)
  • MN3
    Quote was keeping my rudders up at skeg height so they wouldn't kick up.

Do you have cassette rudders (rise go up and down and NOT swing). because if you have regular kick up rudders - how do you hang on with them not all the way down (this would add TONS of pressure on your tiller extension/rudders/castings)

Yes I do. It's one of the things I was worried about when I bought the boat, but I've come to really love about it. Especially during low tide in that bay. The boat doesn't turn nearly as well when they are up that high but otherwise it's fine.

MN3
    QuoteThe wind was running 12-15 knots while I was out there. The most wind I've dealt with so far on this boat.

Rey and I were camping on the big island by the bridge the past 2 weeks. It was crazy wind last week (30-45). Rey sailed in 30+ 2times to go to shore and back last wed. He is nuts! :)

He told me about it. I didn't know you were one of the passengers.

I'm hoping to get out this Saturday (Nov 25)... Hopefully, the rain isn't too bad.
  • QuoteHe told me about it. I didn't know you were one of the passengers.

I wasn't. I had a small powerboat for conveyance
    I am not interested in getting on any sailboat in 30+ knots ever again.
  • I had a great day sailing yesterday. However, by about 1pm the wind was getting too much for me so I started packing it up. That's when a bunch of other boats showed up to go out.

Last winter, my self-imposed wind limit was 15kts, this winter it has been 20kts.
  • [quote]Last winter, my self-imposed wind limit was 15kts, this winter it has been 20kts.

Do you go by the marine forecast or by what it actually is down there at the Causeway? 15 kts solo is really getting out of my comfort zone, there's a big difference between sailing comfortably and keeping the boat under control. I use whitecaps as my guide. One thing's for sure, and that is we're both lucky to live where we can sail year round!

--
    Bill Townsend
    G-Cat 5.0
    Sarasota
    --
  • I go by the NOAA readings at Clearwater beach (https://tidesandcurrents.…DT&id=8726724&interval=6).

When the gusts start hitting better than 20kts, it's time for me to pack it up. It takes quite a lot to cause whitecaps inside the barrier islands so that's not the best guide for me.

My boat is only 4.5m. My main is over 20% smaller than yours (11m² instead of 14m²). My main and jib combined are smaller than your main. Maybe that's why I'm okay with a little more wind.
  • I went out yesterday and the wind was at the edge of what I was comfortable with. I kept the jib furled, but pulled out the gennaker a few times.

The Hobie 16 "Fast Eddie" was out as well. I can't remember his name, but he was out with his wife and brother. I chased him down-wind and asked to borrow one of his crew. His brother got on my boat with me and we went back upwind from one of the islands to the causeway. My boat really wanted to fly a hull but I luffed up to keep her steady. We were moving pretty fast though.

Fast Eddie's skipper offered to crew for me in the future, but we forgot to exchange phone numbers...

Another Hobie 16 was also out. It had a couple of young guys on it. They were performing well.
  • looking to buy a home in Panama city beach and interested in sailing off the beach, any info on storage and launching. Currently have 16 ft Prindle , but will likely be getting a RS 16 or Topaz 16.
    Thanks
  • tsheamdlooking to buy a home in Panama city beach and interested in sailing off the beach, any info on storage and launching.

Are you sure beach launching is allowed there? I see some launch spots on the Grand Lagoon
  • I saw multiple public boat launches in PCB. Is that how the locals do it? and once launched can you land on the beach to picnic etc. BTW what are you sailing?
    Thanks

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2 - 3:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.