Dunedin Causeway

I just started this thread to inform any of those interested that I will be sailing at Dunedin Causeway/honeymoon island on Sunday November 2nd, provided the wind forecasts remain the same. I have been out several times and have only seen one other cat out there, although I have been going on weekdays. This will be my first weekend trip, is anyone else going to be there?

--
Hobie 14/17

Tampa, FL
--
Andrew (MN3) sails there 100 days a year, along with a few other good people. Look for them right by the place that has rental boats, forget the name of it. Seems like a great setup, they just park/back down the beach, & leave boats mast up,(with a permit) a few nights a week.
They camp/consume refreshments on one of the islands, sailing inside, or out on the open chuck.

--
Hobie 18 Magnum
Dart 15
Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
Nacra 5.7
Nacra 5.0
Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
--
How's everybody there after the Hurricane? Hope you guys are fine
i return to tampa today -
get dog from boarding - cry over bill,
clean up yard
asses house for damage
kiss and hug both catamaran for a few hours - and hopefully sail sat

reports from all the cat sailors i hang with are pretty good
I sail there a few times a year, if it's a weekend I usually launch to the north of the causeway, to the south there are so many paddle boarders/jet skiers/motor boats milling around Caladisi it can be a little hairy getting gulf side. If it's good conditions it's pretty much a guarantee to see a Gcat 5.0 or 2 out. It's their birthplace after all
Quote to the south there are so many paddle boarders/jet skiers/motor boats milling around Caladisi it can be a little hairy getting gulf side.

don't those guys know the rules regarding blowboats?
Up here i just hold my heading,(as per the rules even with floatplanes), everybody else diverts.
Out of politeness I've changed heading to prevent a big cruzer from having to divert, but if i hold heading I've never run into a situation where the powerboat didn't modify heading.
I actually like the jetskiis, if i ever get into trouble one will stop by & ask if I need help.

Edited by Edchris177 on Sep 14, 2017 - 10:25 PM.

--
Hobie 18 Magnum
Dart 15
Nacra 5.7
Nacra 5.0
--
Quotedon't those guys know the rules regarding blowboats?
Up here i just hold my heading,(as per the rules even with floatplanes), everybody else diverts.

almost no SUP, kayaker, small boater knows the rules around here - most are renters from out of town

to be honest, i am not sure what rules apply here:
I know power boats have to yield to a sailboat (under sail, with no motor running), and the sailboat has right of way to sail it's course if it is being properly sailed in a channel, BUT

does a sailboat under sail have right of way vs a SUP? or kayak? we DON"T if they are parked,

AND you can "be right" - and you can also be "DEAD right" (and die or get hurt) .... i don't need to be either .
(Ed you know i am not directing this at you - this phrase has stuck with me for over a decade since i read it)

Quotebut if i hold heading I've never run into a situation where the powerboat didn't modify heading.

yea but around here, they will cut it real close and you will be in a world of wakes - in air it's not so bad but in super light air ... it can really kill your ability to keep momentum and not get stuck in dead/irons

QuoteI actually like the jetskiis, if i ever get into trouble one will stop by & ask if I need help.

ditto - many times, one time the other cat i sailed 15miles south in the gulf did a harizon job on me, and then didn't go to where we agreed - i capsized a few miles out of sand key pass in a heavy big boat area, and a guy jumped off his ski (noone was with him) to help right my cat by jumping up and grabbing the righting line with me ...

I was just about spent when he showed up from my multiple attempts (i didn't know to set my anchor trick at the time)

Edited by MN3 on Sep 15, 2017 - 12:39 PM.
Happy to report the causeway is still there
and has a beach
QuoteHappy to report the causeway is still there
and has a beach

Good to hear... and Hurricane Pass is still a "Pass".

Edited by Edchris177 on Sep 17, 2017 - 11:09 PM.

--
Hobie 18 Magnum
Dart 15
Nacra 5.7
Nacra 5.0
--
I know this is an old thread, but I am new to the area. I just towed my new to me Hobie 16 down from Ohio where I owned it for 6 months without ever sailing it :( due to Covid/work/lack of places to sail. I have her stored at Clearwater Sailing Center as I really like it there. But the causeway/Honeymoon Island are just down the street from my girlfriend. She said she ran into a group of cat sailors who launch from the beach. (she sails a Laser/Sunfish and anything else she can get her hands on) Was wondering if it was anyone here. I am thinking by the end of the summer I may be doing some trailer launching and the causeway seems a great spot.
There are only 2 people who still sail regularly these days
Rey and Ron - they both sail 2-3 days a week but not as much on weekends anymore. Ron is retired and Rey works remote that allows him to get out a lot - they are both very friendly

they are not online at all. Feel free to walk up to anyone rigging -most local sailors are happy to talk to other cat sailors or the public. I am the grumpiest :)

I unfortunately did not sail a lot last year due to covid restrictions in the spring/ lack of good weekend weather in the summer/and fall - but hope to sail much more this year - we will see how the weather is this spring and fall - i am not that interested in putting my mast up during the summer storm season but i have a buddy who pushes me to every time he goes out

the causeway does not allow overnight parking without a permit. Permits are cheap - $10 for a 3 day/2 night stay or $100 for an annual - limited to the same 2 night deal. this is not enforced but we fought hard to stay on the beach and i ask that you please respect it by getting sed permits (available at the dunedin rec center on michigain) if you do plan to step your mast and leave it overnight or for a few days (tree augers and tie downs (available at Ace hardware) are highly suggested in storm season - i can tell you we have had to go recover flipped boats on the causeway many times and pop up storms are the regular here in season)
MN3There are only 2 people who still sail regularly these days
Rey and Ron - they both sail 2-3 days a week but not as much on weekends anymore. Ron is retired and Rey works remote that allows him to get out a lot - they are both very friendly

they are not online at all. Feel free to walk up to anyone rigging -most local sailors are happy to talk to other cat sailors or the public. I am the grumpiest :)

I unfortunately did not sail a lot last year due to covid restrictions in the spring/ lack of good weekend weather in the summer/and fall - but hope to sail much more this year - we will see how the weather is this spring and fall - i am not that interested in putting my mast up during the summer storm season but i have a buddy who pushes me to every time he goes out

the causeway does not allow overnight parking without a permit. Permits are cheap - $10 for a 3 day/2 night stay or $100 for an annual - limited to the same 2 night deal. this is not enforced but we fought hard to stay on the beach and i ask that you please respect it by getting sed permits (available at the dunedin rec center on michigain) if you do plan to step your mast and leave it overnight or for a few days (tree augers and tie downs (available at Ace hardware) are highly suggested in storm season - i can tell you we have had to go recover flipped boats on the causeway many times and pop up storms are the regular here in season)

Thanks for the info. I was out of Clearwater Sailing Center this weekend, it was awesome. I do need to get my trailer registered so I can move the boat around. I will say it is so convenient to just use there boats! But I really want to sail around some of the islands like Caladesi, I think one tree island will get old soon enough.
We'll be there for the regatta mid-May icon_smile
I think I'm finally ready. The weather is looking good enough that tomorrow (Dec 19, 2022) I plan on taking my Topcat out for her maiden splash. Assuming nothing goes wrong with the drive, I expect to be on the beach at around 11:30 or so.

Wish me luck!
brrrrr hope it went well
The maiden trip went well, thank you. Luckily, Ray was there. He showed up just as it was time for me to raise the mast. He tried to coach me through it but I wasn't able to do it on my own, so he helped me with it. When it came time to lower the mast, both Ray and my wife helped. I'm going to have to either build up some muscles, work out a hoisting/lowering device/system.

* Time was running short so I only rigged the mainsail. I left the jib and spinnaker in the boat box.
* The daggerboard like rudders are a bit finicky and will take some adjusting. I couldn't get one of them to lock in the down position. The other locked down fine, but the line to raise it wasn't working (it automatically raised when it hit bottom so that's something. The nice thing is that the boat sails fine with the rudders up without any weather helm.
glad it went well
I was out on Jan 30th for my second sail in the new boat. I was thinking that with it being Monday, the beach crowd would be light, but I was wrong. I was the only catamaran, but there were tons of kayaks out and lots of people just sitting around.

This time, I got the main and spinnaker rigged, but I didn't actually unfurl the spinnaker during the sail. I tried a few different ways to raise the mast, but ended up needing help from the plentiful friendly strangers. Next time, I plan to have a gin pole ready to try out.

I know two people can rig the boat in less than 40 minutes, but it takes me 2 hours to do it by myself (plus a helper for the mast.) It's only my second time rigging the boat so expect I'll be able to cut that time down quite a bit. I was spending quite a bit of time reading the manual on how to rig the spinnaker this time. (I attached several parts upside down and had to take them off and re-attach.
If it helps, I have moved to attaching the gin pole to the trailer rather than the mast. My trailers have a square tube for the fwd mast post. I attached a heavy duty block on the end of a galvanized pipe and dropped it down into the mast post. It doesn't have to be too high to get a good angle to raise the mast. That and using trapeez wires to secure the mast side to side, it turns into a one person job.

--
dk

Blade F-16
Hobie 14
Corsair F-242
Mirage 25 (Sold)
Hobie Tiger (Sold)
Hobie Tiger (Sold)
TomCat 6.2 (Sold)
--
You're in the neighborhood of Clearwater Community Sailing Center, a worldwide catamaran sailing hub. Robbie (RedGearRacing) operates from there. He's a gem.

If/when you get bored of the setup, I believe the Community Center there is a great option to store mast-up. The launching spot is into the inner bay, super safe and friendly in most/any conditions. And you can sail to the gulf side easily.

Many sailors come there to practice and train. From complete newbies to olympic & sailgp level.

If you can get any coaching from Robbie – or anything you can learn from the experienced sailors hanging out there – it's gold.
Thanks Martin. I've been a member of CCSC for almost 30 years. It's a great place and I love it. (Hell, my wife and I got married there!)

I used to own a Taipan that I stored mast up at the center and went to Robbie every time something broke (which was often.) This time around I'm trying something different (no more rats living in my sail-box.)

Edited by danielt1263 on Feb 02, 2023 - 10:07 AM.
Cool - congrats! I didn't realize you were a CCSC old hand.

(We visit the area once or twice a year, to train with Robbie and/or race in events. Our bay is very nice here in Miami, but doesn't have the organized catamaran racing you get there.)
A great day on the water April 1st. I rigged my boat but was a bit nervous about wind strength when someone came up and complemented me on my boat. I asked him if he wanted to go out and he said yes. With the additional rail-meat I was ready to go. We almost pitch-polled during one spinnaker run. My "crew" decided he only likes going upwind. icon_lol

There was also a Getaway (with some 6-8 people on board!), a Hobie 16 (a big guy who was single handing the thing. I was impressed.) and Ray (but I didn't see him. He showed up after I was on the water and wasn't back by the time I left.)

There was even a Laser and a Foiling Kite board on the water.
April 22.

A guy from Com-Pac Yachts and his young daughter was out with a little 8-10 foot catamaran prototype. They were doing some feasibility testing for a possibly new product. The boat had a tornado on the sail.

There was also a Hobie Tandem Island tooling around.

Ray's boat was there as usual, but he never showed up.

And me of course. I was supposed to meet MN3 at 10am but it didn't work out. I flew a hull a couple of times on the upwind, but not very high. I still haven't tested to see if I can right the boat after a capsize...
Sorry I couldn't make it - looked like good wind.
No problem. We can try again sometime.

One thing that surprised me was that when I got back to shore it was high tide and my trailer was in the water. Fortunately I had anchored my wheels to it rather than just setting them nearby. De-rigging the boat was quite a pain because there was nowhere to beach the boat...
Yup new moon tides are pretty high

I actually got my powerboat in today at 9am (lowtide) and it was higher than some high-tides are around here. I lasted about 30 minutes on the water - it was too choppy for me so i packed it in.

If you park on the causeway close to Glenn's (high and dry restaurant and rental shack) there should be enough room for your car and trailer regardless of the tide and when you get back you can pull your car/trailer up 30' or so to give yourself more room (of course you will probably need to ask a few people to get out from infront of your trailer). ya gotta get there pretty early to beat all the yakers

This is a great resource for tides and current wind conditions- https://tidesandcurrents.…html?id=8726706&legacy=1
I keep it bookmarked on my phone for on the fly checks of tide and windspeed

Another good tip is to look at where the seagrass line is - that is where the tide is gonna be at some point next high tide

https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=137581&g2_serialNumber=3
the cat with the ronstan sticker on the sailbox was mine

Edited by MN3 on Apr 23, 2023 - 08:25 PM.
I had a good day on the water today. I was trying to sail from Dunedin Causeway down to the SR-60 bridge (upwind). I got about half way when the wind almost completely died on me. I put up the spinnaker and drifted back toward the causeway then the breeze picked back up. Overall, the breeze was pretty light.

Top speed almost 9kts with a4 kt average.
sounds like you were hit with the sea breeze and a wind shift - and probably some windage from an island or land
was it at 11:24?
https://tidesandcurrents.…DT&id=8726724&interval=6
Yea, that sounds about right. I think it hit me before that. It started at something closer to 10:30 - 10:45. But yea a definite wind shift.
at least it isn't love bug season yet
A great day sailing yesterday! I went all the way from Dunedin Causeway to Clearwater sailing center. It took me 2.5 hours to get there (downwind) and 1.25 hours to get back (up wind.) I think the wind was stronger going back, but that could have just felt that way because I was going up wind.

I'm one step closer to my goal of sailing around Clearwater island. I'm not ready to go out into the gulf yet, especially not alone.
danielt1263A great day sailing yesterday! I went all the way from Dunedin Causeway to Clearwater sailing center. It took me 2.5 hours to get there (downwind) and 1.25 hours to get back (up wind.) I think the wind was stronger going back, but that could have just felt that way because I was going up wind.

I'm one step closer to my goal of sailing around Clearwater island. I'm not ready to go out into the gulf yet, especially not alone.

get a sea-tow membership at costco for $100 and go sail laps around clearwater island and or go north to 3 rooker - great anchor parking on the gulf north tip and mid way on caladisi (the old dunedin pass)
I had a good day sailing today, but I had some heat exhaustion issues while I was packing up. I almost got the nerve to go out into the gulf, but realized at the last minute that I forgot to rig my righting line so I stayed in the ICW.
I finally went out into the gulf! I went out through Hurricane Pass and then south along Caladesi Island. The wind was very weak and fluky in the ICW but nice and steady in the Gulf.
I was coming back through the pass dead downwind. Man is my boat slow when dead downwind and there were too many motor boats for me to be jibing back and forth across the channel though.
Yea, the powerboaters in that area suck!

Ya just have to be brave and cut across the channel (10 times or so) - they WILL give room, but not much (wake city)

MUCH worse when the tide is ripping out and you can't make any headway. We have walked our boats "in" via caladisi a few times.
QuoteMUCH worse when the tide is ripping out and you can't make any headway. We have walked our boats "in" via caladisi a few times.

Check the tide tables. Go out when it's going out and come in when it switches around.

--
Bill Townsend
G-Cat 5.0
Sarasota
--
shortyfox
QuoteMUCH worse when the tide is ripping out and you can't make any headway. We have walked our boats "in" via caladisi a few times.

Check the tide tables. Go out when it's going out and come in when it switches around.

of course. I carry tide apps on me and when i was sailing 3 days a week, i didn't need a table, i knew the tides. But if you sail all day long you have a good chance of catching both tides. And if you want to sail up to Anclote you are gonna get caught in low tides and boat traffic. Can't always be avoided - Especially on race day.
It was an ebbing tide when I was coming in. I didn't have a problem coming in (except like I said, I was going pretty slow.) However, when I was at the point, near the West bridge of the causeway, where the convergence of waters caused some major short period waves, I was knocked about quite a bit. (At least that's what I think was the source of the waves.)

Ray was launching while I was putting my boat back on the trailer... We really need to get better coordinated and have more of us out there at the same time.

Edited by danielt1263 on Aug 27, 2023 - 04:23 PM.
QuoteIt was an ebbing tide when I was coming in. I didn't have a problem coming in (except like I said, I was going pretty slow.)

A 5knot headwind and a 5knot tide pushing you out is when it is HELL

Quotenear the West bridge of the causeway, where the convergence of waters caused some major short period waves, I was knocked about quite a bit.

The south pass (sandkey) can be a washing machine and beat the hell out of you when tides are "wrong" (incoming waves, outgoing tide).
I had my first trapeze run (on this boat) today. I managed 12.9knots top speed.

There was a new person at the beach with a (I think) Hobie Adventure Island. Ray showed up just as I was leaving with a Sunfish. I think he was going to show a lady how to sail it.

https://deckee.com/maps/trips/summary/558493
I finally accomplished my goal of circumnavigating Clearwater Island! 21.53 Nm in 5h 18m. My max speed was only 8.2 knots this time, but I was tacking up the ICW on the wire the whole way.

However, getting under Clearwater Memorial Causeway was a bear. The wind was so light at that point that it was all I could do to negate the current.

https://www.gaiagps.com/p…layer=GaiaTopoRasterFeet

Edited by danielt1263 on Oct 01, 2023 - 09:11 AM.
danielt1263I finally accomplished my goal of circumnavigating Clearwater Island! 21.53 Nm in 5h 18m. My max speed was only 8.2 knots this time, but I was tacking up the ICW on the wire the whole way.

However, getting under Clearwater Memorial Causeway was a bear. The wind was so light at that point that it was all I could do to negate the current.

https://www.gaiagps.com/p…layer=GaiaTopoRasterFeetEdited by danielt1263 on Oct 01, 2023 - 09:11 AM.

NICE!
we used to anchor up here to group up or for a rest when we sailed south off the causeway and under the bridges - https://www.google.com/ma…2Fg%2F1tddbmyh?entry=ttu. there is a sign about 1/2 mile north of that shell tree that reads "welcome to the real Florida"

at high tide you can actually sail on the inside, anchor in snake infested, chest high waters and walk over the dune to the same spot.

as per the wind and tide under the memorial ... yes knowledge of: tides, wind direction to include:anticipated and realized sea-breeze, expected wind speed, tides at both bridges (memorial and sand key) AND hurricane pass all come into play when you are gonna go under the bridges. the both can get crazy when the tides are changing and are multiplied at high tide times of the month (we are at full moon/king tides) - and of course motor boaters, easy right?

another nice ride is stay on the inside and sail due south under the belleair causeway and stop at B1 (what we called the first island south of the causeway). that is the last causeway and need to hail a bridge tender any further south. tides and wind direction count here as well. nothing worse (or better if that is your kind thing) than a 13 mile or so hike while taking it on the nose (closed hauled) the entire time
I was thinking about sailing around Honeymoon Island next, but I'm not sure of the height of the bridges on the Dunedin Causeway.

I was also thinking about going north next time up to Anclote. The Hobie Adventure Island was asking me about that trip because he was planing on taking it.

I'm not much of a camper, I just like to sail. I think it would be fun buzzing some shorelines though. If I get my nerve up and the wind is right, I'd love to buzz pier 60 (S) or Fred Howard Park (N).

I had someone come up to me while I was rigging to tell me how there used to be dozens of boats up and down the beach and he was one of them. I guess I'm late to the party. Ray said he mainly sails on weekdays so I'm the only one there 90% of the time. Maybe I should try the beach by the CCSC...
MN3reports from all the cat sailors i hang with are pretty good

Glad to hear it.
Keep us posted.

--
Sheet In!
Bob
_/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
(Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
Arizona, USA
--
I got the low down on the Dunedin causeway bridges. Apparently they are only 20 feet so no way I could get under.

I went out today under just the main and still was out on the trapeze. It was so shallow though. I would be trapped out going well, then stop when the leeward skeg hit bottom (I was keeping my rudders up at skeg height so they wouldn't kick up.)

During one tack, my rudder extension got under the shoulder strap of my trapeze harness pinning me. I almost capsized but I managed to keep in irons and heave to from there. Then I had to take my harness off to free the tiller.

The wind was running 12-15 knots while I was out there. The most wind I've dealt with so far on this boat.
Sounds fun! What's been your top speed so far?

--
Chuck C.
H21SE 408
--
charlescarlisSounds fun! What's been your top speed so far?

Top speed so far is 12.9 knots. I know the boat can do better, but I'm not going to push it until I'm confident that I can right the boat after a capsize...

I posted it onto the total joyrider speedstick https://totaljoyrider.com…-speed-stick-leaderboard
QuoteI got the low down on the Dunedin causeway bridges. Apparently they are only 20 feet so no way I could get under.

you would have to call the bridge tender to open - I have never seen it done on a beach cat - but why not?

Quote was keeping my rudders up at skeg height so they wouldn't kick up.

Do you have cassette rudders (rise go up and down and NOT swing). because if you have regular kick up rudders - how do you hang on with them not all the way down (this would add TONS of pressure on your tiller extension/rudders/castings)

QuoteThe wind was running 12-15 knots while I was out there. The most wind I've dealt with so far on this boat.

Rey and I were camping on the big island by the bridge the past 2 weeks. It was crazy wind last week (30-45). Rey sailed in 30+ 2times to go to shore and back last wed. He is nuts! :)
MN3
Quote was keeping my rudders up at skeg height so they wouldn't kick up.

Do you have cassette rudders (rise go up and down and NOT swing). because if you have regular kick up rudders - how do you hang on with them not all the way down (this would add TONS of pressure on your tiller extension/rudders/castings)

Yes I do. It's one of the things I was worried about when I bought the boat, but I've come to really love about it. Especially during low tide in that bay. The boat doesn't turn nearly as well when they are up that high but otherwise it's fine.

MN3
QuoteThe wind was running 12-15 knots while I was out there. The most wind I've dealt with so far on this boat.

Rey and I were camping on the big island by the bridge the past 2 weeks. It was crazy wind last week (30-45). Rey sailed in 30+ 2times to go to shore and back last wed. He is nuts! :)

He told me about it. I didn't know you were one of the passengers.

I'm hoping to get out this Saturday (Nov 25)... Hopefully, the rain isn't too bad.
QuoteHe told me about it. I didn't know you were one of the passengers.

I wasn't. I had a small powerboat for conveyance
I am not interested in getting on any sailboat in 30+ knots ever again.
I had a great day sailing yesterday. However, by about 1pm the wind was getting too much for me so I started packing it up. That's when a bunch of other boats showed up to go out.

Last winter, my self-imposed wind limit was 15kts, this winter it has been 20kts.
[quote]Last winter, my self-imposed wind limit was 15kts, this winter it has been 20kts.

Do you go by the marine forecast or by what it actually is down there at the Causeway? 15 kts solo is really getting out of my comfort zone, there's a big difference between sailing comfortably and keeping the boat under control. I use whitecaps as my guide. One thing's for sure, and that is we're both lucky to live where we can sail year round!

--
Bill Townsend
G-Cat 5.0
Sarasota
--
I go by the NOAA readings at Clearwater beach (https://tidesandcurrents.…DT&id=8726724&interval=6).

When the gusts start hitting better than 20kts, it's time for me to pack it up. It takes quite a lot to cause whitecaps inside the barrier islands so that's not the best guide for me.

My boat is only 4.5m. My main is over 20% smaller than yours (11m² instead of 14m²). My main and jib combined are smaller than your main. Maybe that's why I'm okay with a little more wind.
I went out yesterday and the wind was at the edge of what I was comfortable with. I kept the jib furled, but pulled out the gennaker a few times.

The Hobie 16 "Fast Eddie" was out as well. I can't remember his name, but he was out with his wife and brother. I chased him down-wind and asked to borrow one of his crew. His brother got on my boat with me and we went back upwind from one of the islands to the causeway. My boat really wanted to fly a hull but I luffed up to keep her steady. We were moving pretty fast though.

Fast Eddie's skipper offered to crew for me in the future, but we forgot to exchange phone numbers...

Another Hobie 16 was also out. It had a couple of young guys on it. They were performing well.
looking to buy a home in Panama city beach and interested in sailing off the beach, any info on storage and launching. Currently have 16 ft Prindle , but will likely be getting a RS 16 or Topaz 16.
Thanks
tsheamdlooking to buy a home in Panama city beach and interested in sailing off the beach, any info on storage and launching.

Are you sure beach launching is allowed there? I see some launch spots on the Grand Lagoon
I saw multiple public boat launches in PCB. Is that how the locals do it? and once launched can you land on the beach to picnic etc. BTW what are you sailing?
Thanks