Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Dunedin Causeway  Bottom

• I just started this thread to inform any of those interested that I will be sailing at Dunedin Causeway/honeymoon island on Sunday November 2nd, provided the wind forecasts remain the same. I have been out several times and have only seen one other cat out there, although I have been going on weekdays. This will be my first weekend trip, is anyone else going to be there?

--
    Hobie 14/17

Tampa, FL
    --
  • Andrew (MN3) sails there 100 days a year, along with a few other good people. Look for them right by the place that has rental boats, forget the name of it. Seems like a great setup, they just park/back down the beach, & leave boats mast up,(with a permit) a few nights a week.
    They camp/consume refreshments on one of the islands, sailing inside, or out on the open chuck.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • How's everybody there after the Hurricane? Hope you guys are fine
  • i return to tampa today -
    get dog from boarding - cry over bill,
    clean up yard
    asses house for damage
    kiss and hug both catamaran for a few hours - and hopefully sail sat

reports from all the cat sailors i hang with are pretty good
  • I sail there a few times a year, if it's a weekend I usually launch to the north of the causeway, to the south there are so many paddle boarders/jet skiers/motor boats milling around Caladisi it can be a little hairy getting gulf side. If it's good conditions it's pretty much a guarantee to see a Gcat 5.0 or 2 out. It's their birthplace after all
  • Quote to the south there are so many paddle boarders/jet skiers/motor boats milling around Caladisi it can be a little hairy getting gulf side.

don't those guys know the rules regarding blowboats?
    Up here i just hold my heading,(as per the rules even with floatplanes), everybody else diverts.
    Out of politeness I've changed heading to prevent a big cruzer from having to divert, but if i hold heading I've never run into a situation where the powerboat didn't modify heading.
    I actually like the jetskiis, if i ever get into trouble one will stop by & ask if I need help.

Edited by Edchris177 on Sep 14, 2017 - 10:25 PM.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    --
  • Quotedon't those guys know the rules regarding blowboats?
    Up here i just hold my heading,(as per the rules even with floatplanes), everybody else diverts.

almost no SUP, kayaker, small boater knows the rules around here - most are renters from out of town

to be honest, i am not sure what rules apply here:
    I know power boats have to yield to a sailboat (under sail, with no motor running), and the sailboat has right of way to sail it's course if it is being properly sailed in a channel, BUT

does a sailboat under sail have right of way vs a SUP? or kayak? we DON"T if they are parked,

AND you can "be right" - and you can also be "DEAD right" (and die or get hurt) .... i don't need to be either .
    (Ed you know i am not directing this at you - this phrase has stuck with me for over a decade since i read it)

Quotebut if i hold heading I've never run into a situation where the powerboat didn't modify heading.

yea but around here, they will cut it real close and you will be in a world of wakes - in air it's not so bad but in super light air ... it can really kill your ability to keep momentum and not get stuck in dead/irons

QuoteI actually like the jetskiis, if i ever get into trouble one will stop by & ask if I need help.

ditto - many times, one time the other cat i sailed 15miles south in the gulf did a harizon job on me, and then didn't go to where we agreed - i capsized a few miles out of sand key pass in a heavy big boat area, and a guy jumped off his ski (noone was with him) to help right my cat by jumping up and grabbing the righting line with me ...

I was just about spent when he showed up from my multiple attempts (i didn't know to set my anchor trick at the time)

Edited by MN3 on Sep 15, 2017 - 12:39 PM.
  • Happy to report the causeway is still there
    and has a beach
  • QuoteHappy to report the causeway is still there
    and has a beach

Good to hear... and Hurricane Pass is still a "Pass".

Edited by Edchris177 on Sep 17, 2017 - 11:09 PM.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    --

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.