Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Dunedin Causeway  Bottom

Go to page 1 - 2 - 3 [+1]:

• I just started this thread to inform any of those interested that I will be sailing at Dunedin Causeway/honeymoon island on Sunday November 2nd, provided the wind forecasts remain the same. I have been out several times and have only seen one other cat out there, although I have been going on weekdays. This will be my first weekend trip, is anyone else going to be there?

--
    Hobie 14/17

Tampa, FL
    --
  • Andrew (MN3) sails there 100 days a year, along with a few other good people. Look for them right by the place that has rental boats, forget the name of it. Seems like a great setup, they just park/back down the beach, & leave boats mast up,(with a permit) a few nights a week.
    They camp/consume refreshments on one of the islands, sailing inside, or out on the open chuck.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • How's everybody there after the Hurricane? Hope you guys are fine
  • i return to tampa today -
    get dog from boarding - cry over bill,
    clean up yard
    asses house for damage
    kiss and hug both catamaran for a few hours - and hopefully sail sat

reports from all the cat sailors i hang with are pretty good
  • I sail there a few times a year, if it's a weekend I usually launch to the north of the causeway, to the south there are so many paddle boarders/jet skiers/motor boats milling around Caladisi it can be a little hairy getting gulf side. If it's good conditions it's pretty much a guarantee to see a Gcat 5.0 or 2 out. It's their birthplace after all
  • Quote to the south there are so many paddle boarders/jet skiers/motor boats milling around Caladisi it can be a little hairy getting gulf side.

don't those guys know the rules regarding blowboats?
    Up here i just hold my heading,(as per the rules even with floatplanes), everybody else diverts.
    Out of politeness I've changed heading to prevent a big cruzer from having to divert, but if i hold heading I've never run into a situation where the powerboat didn't modify heading.
    I actually like the jetskiis, if i ever get into trouble one will stop by & ask if I need help.

Edited by Edchris177 on Sep 14, 2017 - 10:25 PM.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    --
  • Quotedon't those guys know the rules regarding blowboats?
    Up here i just hold my heading,(as per the rules even with floatplanes), everybody else diverts.

almost no SUP, kayaker, small boater knows the rules around here - most are renters from out of town

to be honest, i am not sure what rules apply here:
    I know power boats have to yield to a sailboat (under sail, with no motor running), and the sailboat has right of way to sail it's course if it is being properly sailed in a channel, BUT

does a sailboat under sail have right of way vs a SUP? or kayak? we DON"T if they are parked,

AND you can "be right" - and you can also be "DEAD right" (and die or get hurt) .... i don't need to be either .
    (Ed you know i am not directing this at you - this phrase has stuck with me for over a decade since i read it)

Quotebut if i hold heading I've never run into a situation where the powerboat didn't modify heading.

yea but around here, they will cut it real close and you will be in a world of wakes - in air it's not so bad but in super light air ... it can really kill your ability to keep momentum and not get stuck in dead/irons

QuoteI actually like the jetskiis, if i ever get into trouble one will stop by & ask if I need help.

ditto - many times, one time the other cat i sailed 15miles south in the gulf did a harizon job on me, and then didn't go to where we agreed - i capsized a few miles out of sand key pass in a heavy big boat area, and a guy jumped off his ski (noone was with him) to help right my cat by jumping up and grabbing the righting line with me ...

I was just about spent when he showed up from my multiple attempts (i didn't know to set my anchor trick at the time)

Edited by MN3 on Sep 15, 2017 - 12:39 PM.
  • Happy to report the causeway is still there
    and has a beach
  • QuoteHappy to report the causeway is still there
    and has a beach

Good to hear... and Hurricane Pass is still a "Pass".

Edited by Edchris177 on Sep 17, 2017 - 11:09 PM.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    --
  • I know this is an old thread, but I am new to the area. I just towed my new to me Hobie 16 down from Ohio where I owned it for 6 months without ever sailing it :( due to Covid/work/lack of places to sail. I have her stored at Clearwater Sailing Center as I really like it there. But the causeway/Honeymoon Island are just down the street from my girlfriend. She said she ran into a group of cat sailors who launch from the beach. (she sails a Laser/Sunfish and anything else she can get her hands on) Was wondering if it was anyone here. I am thinking by the end of the summer I may be doing some trailer launching and the causeway seems a great spot.
  • There are only 2 people who still sail regularly these days
    Rey and Ron - they both sail 2-3 days a week but not as much on weekends anymore. Ron is retired and Rey works remote that allows him to get out a lot - they are both very friendly

they are not online at all. Feel free to walk up to anyone rigging -most local sailors are happy to talk to other cat sailors or the public. I am the grumpiest :)

I unfortunately did not sail a lot last year due to covid restrictions in the spring/ lack of good weekend weather in the summer/and fall - but hope to sail much more this year - we will see how the weather is this spring and fall - i am not that interested in putting my mast up during the summer storm season but i have a buddy who pushes me to every time he goes out

the causeway does not allow overnight parking without a permit. Permits are cheap - $10 for a 3 day/2 night stay or $100 for an annual - limited to the same 2 night deal. this is not enforced but we fought hard to stay on the beach and i ask that you please respect it by getting sed permits (available at the dunedin rec center on michigain) if you do plan to step your mast and leave it overnight or for a few days (tree augers and tie downs (available at Ace hardware) are highly suggested in storm season - i can tell you we have had to go recover flipped boats on the causeway many times and pop up storms are the regular here in season)
  • MN3There are only 2 people who still sail regularly these days
    Rey and Ron - they both sail 2-3 days a week but not as much on weekends anymore. Ron is retired and Rey works remote that allows him to get out a lot - they are both very friendly

they are not online at all. Feel free to walk up to anyone rigging -most local sailors are happy to talk to other cat sailors or the public. I am the grumpiest :)

I unfortunately did not sail a lot last year due to covid restrictions in the spring/ lack of good weekend weather in the summer/and fall - but hope to sail much more this year - we will see how the weather is this spring and fall - i am not that interested in putting my mast up during the summer storm season but i have a buddy who pushes me to every time he goes out

the causeway does not allow overnight parking without a permit. Permits are cheap - $10 for a 3 day/2 night stay or $100 for an annual - limited to the same 2 night deal. this is not enforced but we fought hard to stay on the beach and i ask that you please respect it by getting sed permits (available at the dunedin rec center on michigain) if you do plan to step your mast and leave it overnight or for a few days (tree augers and tie downs (available at Ace hardware) are highly suggested in storm season - i can tell you we have had to go recover flipped boats on the causeway many times and pop up storms are the regular here in season)

Thanks for the info. I was out of Clearwater Sailing Center this weekend, it was awesome. I do need to get my trailer registered so I can move the boat around. I will say it is so convenient to just use there boats! But I really want to sail around some of the islands like Caladesi, I think one tree island will get old soon enough.
  • We'll be there for the regatta mid-May icon_smile
  • I think I'm finally ready. The weather is looking good enough that tomorrow (Dec 19, 2022) I plan on taking my Topcat out for her maiden splash. Assuming nothing goes wrong with the drive, I expect to be on the beach at around 11:30 or so.

Wish me luck!
  • brrrrr hope it went well
  • The maiden trip went well, thank you. Luckily, Ray was there. He showed up just as it was time for me to raise the mast. He tried to coach me through it but I wasn't able to do it on my own, so he helped me with it. When it came time to lower the mast, both Ray and my wife helped. I'm going to have to either build up some muscles, work out a hoisting/lowering device/system.

* Time was running short so I only rigged the mainsail. I left the jib and spinnaker in the boat box.
    * The daggerboard like rudders are a bit finicky and will take some adjusting. I couldn't get one of them to lock in the down position. The other locked down fine, but the line to raise it wasn't working (it automatically raised when it hit bottom so that's something. The nice thing is that the boat sails fine with the rudders up without any weather helm.
  • glad it went well
  • I was out on Jan 30th for my second sail in the new boat. I was thinking that with it being Monday, the beach crowd would be light, but I was wrong. I was the only catamaran, but there were tons of kayaks out and lots of people just sitting around.

This time, I got the main and spinnaker rigged, but I didn't actually unfurl the spinnaker during the sail. I tried a few different ways to raise the mast, but ended up needing help from the plentiful friendly strangers. Next time, I plan to have a gin pole ready to try out.

I know two people can rig the boat in less than 40 minutes, but it takes me 2 hours to do it by myself (plus a helper for the mast.) It's only my second time rigging the boat so expect I'll be able to cut that time down quite a bit. I was spending quite a bit of time reading the manual on how to rig the spinnaker this time. (I attached several parts upside down and had to take them off and re-attach.
  • If it helps, I have moved to attaching the gin pole to the trailer rather than the mast. My trailers have a square tube for the fwd mast post. I attached a heavy duty block on the end of a galvanized pipe and dropped it down into the mast post. It doesn't have to be too high to get a good angle to raise the mast. That and using trapeez wires to secure the mast side to side, it turns into a one person job.

--
    dk

Blade F-16
    Hobie 14
    Corsair F-242
    Mirage 25 (Sold)
    Hobie Tiger (Sold)
    Hobie Tiger (Sold)
    TomCat 6.2 (Sold)
    --
  • You're in the neighborhood of Clearwater Community Sailing Center, a worldwide catamaran sailing hub. Robbie (RedGearRacing) operates from there. He's a gem.

If/when you get bored of the setup, I believe the Community Center there is a great option to store mast-up. The launching spot is into the inner bay, super safe and friendly in most/any conditions. And you can sail to the gulf side easily.

Many sailors come there to practice and train. From complete newbies to olympic & sailgp level.

If you can get any coaching from Robbie – or anything you can learn from the experienced sailors hanging out there – it's gold.

Go to page 1 - 2 - 3 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.