Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Hobie 16 ratchet block.  Bottom

• On a 1982 Hobie 16 the mainsheet ratchet block has a plastic roller that can be rotated to engage or disengage a ratchet lever in the block. When it is engaged it simply makes a noise when the line is played out pulled in. What is the purpose of this? Is this the way it is suppose to work?
  • When the ratchet is engaged, the block only turns in one direction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRk10s_A3E8

--
    Ron
    Nacra F18
    Reservoir Sailing Assn.
    Brandon, Mississippi
    --
  • Great video Ron!

Catman42
    Without it being engaged you must use pure muscle to resist the tug on the line from the wind/sail

when engaged it reduces the amount of "pull" needed on the line to almost nothing (to keep it in place).

I have heard stories of light crew trying to hold on to a spinnaker line (actually a code zero/screecher line) and being dragged across the deck of a prindle 18 in a strong gust (they didn't have the blocks engaged)

QuoteWhat is the purpose of this? Is this the way it is suppose to work?

Edited by MN3 on Oct 03, 2014 - 01:07 PM.
  • As Ron stated, just turn the sheave with your fingers, it will only go one way with the ratchet,(clicking noise) turned on.
    Have a close look at the ratchet sheave, you will see that it is not "round", but hexagonal, well actually more than 6 facets, but you get the idea.
    One caveat, your line must be thin enough to sink into the sheave. It then gets bitten by the sheave, & practically stops movement in the load direction. A line that is too thick rides up out of the "bites", & you hold most of the load. You will also discover that this advantage is only in one direction, therefore you need to run your lines correctly.
    QuoteI have heard stories of light crew trying to hold on to a spinnaker line (actually a code zero/screecher line) and being dragged across the deck of a prindle 18 in a strong gust (they didn't have the blocks engaged)

I was soloing the 6.0XL, & popped the chute in about 15mph. All was well with the Screaming Downwind Gods, with the port spin block in ratchet mode.
    Then I gybed,(thankfully that 20' Mystere held a course so well I could do all this solo) & suddenly I was holding onto a Clydesdale.
    I got pulled off the wing because I had the line wrapped around my hand. There was no way my hand was going to live through that for 20 miles. I steered nearly dead downwind to relieve the pressure & scampered across that 10' wide tramp to turn on the ratchet on the working side. It was still a pull, & I had to wrap it around my hand to trim in, but at least I could hold it once trimmed. Even so, after a few miles it got tiring, that was one of the few times I cleated the spin & held on for the ride, & what a ride.
    We had gone 25 miles down the lake, I beat the N5.0 back by over an hour.

Edited by Edchris177 on Oct 04, 2014 - 03:09 AM.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • Edchrist, thanks for your reply to my question. I am fairly new to sailing and still on a major learning curve. I'm not understanding why this ratchet would be used. In a strong wind I need to hang on to my mainsail line (not cleated) in order to let the sail out quickly when I get hit with a gust and then pull it in again basically working the line back and forth. If the ratchet only works in one direction I would have to unlock it via the roller in the block. No time for that! Please help.

Thanks
  • Maybe this will help, straight from Harken.

http://www.harken.com/article.aspx?id=12838

--
    Ron
    Nacra F18
    Reservoir Sailing Assn.
    Brandon, Mississippi
    --
  • QuoteIn a strong wind I need to hang on to my mainsail line (not cleated) in order to let the sail out quickly when I get hit with a gust and then pull it in again basically working the line back and forth.

Welcome to sailing, & Cats in particular.
    You are confusing "cleating" with "ratchet", they are two different things.
    If "ratchet" is turned on , it works all the time, BUT, it does not stop the line from either being pulled in, or more important, let out.
    If Ron's link didn't clarify, think of ratchet mode as your slave. Essentially it just sits there, & holds a bunch of the "pull". The line in your hand might be pulling 80lbs, but the ratchet "holds" maybe 50 of that, leaving your hand to only hold 30lb, way less tiring. If you let go of the sheet it will still slip through the block & let the sail out. You do not have to undo anything.
    I understand your logic re it only working in one direction, maybe I should have worded that differently. It only "holds some tension" in one direction.
    The simplest thing is to just go try it. Go out in moderate wind with ratchet turned off, your arm will tire quickly from the constant load.
    Now turn it on. When you pull line in, it will click/click/click, just like a ratcheting wrench, (hence the name). Unlike the wrench it will let the sheet back out if you let line out. The difference is, you only hold a fraction of the load. The stronger the wind, the more you will appreciate it. I can't remember the last time I turned mine OFF.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • Hey Guys, Thanks much for the help. Ive got it now. Love this site!!!!

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.