Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Hobie 21  Bottom

• Can someone of you tell me the standard length of the spi pole of the Hobie 21?
    Thanks,
    gianmassimo.
  • I believe that the class rule states 12' but some like it at 13'.
    Please share you design as I my build one too icon_wink
    Someone told me that a Sunfish spar works well...1 1/4" round by 13' plus long but it looks too small to me. I picked up a Sunfish sail with mast and both spars that I planned on using, than I found a section of 2 1/4" thin wall Aluminum tubing from a Ultralight builder that looks more appropriate.

--
    Bill 404 21SE
    --
  • The class rules (from memory) say from the dolphin striker to the spinnaker pole tang on the hull. You'll find that's 125 inches.

That being said, there isn't any one design racing for 21s anymore, or at least not much. If they are going to use the Hobie 21 handicap modified for a spinnaker pole who cares whether the pole is class legal or not, it's just an added spinnaker pole. The stock pole at 10.5 feet is short. 12 feet would probably be better. And the snuffer system. We used the bag on the tramp system and even with supercrew it was slow.
  • http://www.hobieclass.com…ook/2014/RBook140401.pdf
    HOBIE 21 CLASS RULES
    e) A spinnaker pole no longer than the distance from the center line of the front crossbar to either bow may be used to fly the open sails. Rigging is of open design.

i have had 3 poles of different length and diam and prefer the tornado sized spin and pole (13'2) on my 5.5
    i have had tapered, 1.5" and 2" OD poles and the 2" is probably the most standardized pole if you plan on getting a snu (snuffer) etc

fyi
    The Tornado pole is 13.125ft (4000mm)
    the F18 pole can be no longer than 800mm from the bows,
    f16 the poles must be 3500 or shorter; irrespectly of the where the mainbeam or bows are
  • Not from memory.

e) A spinnaker pole no longer than the distance from the center line of the front crossbar to either bow may be used to fly the open sails. Rigging is of open design.

I bet you'll find that is 125 inches.
  • I had a shorty pole on my first set up, it was ok but the difference was huge one i put a 13'2" pole on.

I have seen guys use even longer (16') - great for a nice dw run but don't even think of pointing ...

QuoteThe stock pole at 10.5 feet is short. 12 feet would probably be bette
  • Thanks a lot guys. Very helpfull!

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.