Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Hobie 16 shudder  Bottom

• Following in the line of the other posts on humming and cavitation, i experienced an interesting sensation last weekend.

In maybe 8 mph wind, I took my 2007 H16 solo, sitting on the side bar, and on a tight reach with some speed, felt a shuddering or shaking of the whole rig. I have been out before and not felt this. I did not think it was going through wakes, but it could have been. I could feel the shake or shudder with a half second period lasting maybe 3 or 4 seconds, and occurring on and off. And could feel it move through the rig.

Any one have this? Something technical occurring? Psychological reaction to the end of summer?

Thanks!

--
    Ted
    Hobie 16
    South Carolina Lake sailing
    --
  • Any weeds or debris in your lake? It doesn't take much junk on your rudder to start causing steering issues.

sm
  • Quoteand on a tight reach with some speed, felt a shuddering or shaking of the whole rig. I

By "rig"do you mean the entire boat, or the actual rigging?
    By close reach, I assume you were sailing nearly as high as possible. On my 20' Mystere, if I sail really high, the jib will break, & create a shudder in the rig. It can be quite pronounced if I don't have the jib blocks pulled inboard from the hulls. It is also exacerbated if I don't have the fore/aft position of the blocks correct.
    With my 8' beam nacras, I don't have a 4 way system, the block only move fore/aft. With the Mystere 10' beam, I cannot leave the blocks at the hull when close hauled, I need to pull them inboard.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • The shudder seemed to go through the entire boat, and your idea of the jib breaking could be the reason. My boat does not point very high no matter what and, I am thinking, since the wind was not howling, I was probably trimmed to have the jib break like that. I will test it out on my next sail.

Thanks!

--
    Ted
    Hobie 16
    South Carolina Lake sailing
    --
  • Quote My boat does not point very high no matter what

Remember, pointing high is a relative term, you cannot sail closer than 45* tot he wind.
    Tie some streamers to your bridals, maybe you are expecting what can't be done?

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.