Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

fluttering jib leach  Bottom

• Hey guys,

I just got to use a set of new to me sails for my H18 SX and the jib leach is fluttering like crazy! The sail is very "crispy" so I don't think it got a lot of use but the little window in it is stretched out even though it is still clear. This is a Dacron sail and all the threads and seams look great, almost new. I am shortening the fwd stay due to too much weather helm but I don't see how that could be affecting the jib leach. I also know the weather helm is from the SX rig, not the rudders, because with my standard H18 mast, sails and rig the boat is very balanced.

So any ideas?

Thanks
    Jim

--
    Jim
    New Orleans

'83 H18 SX mods 2013 -
    '65 Lavey Craft 2005 -
    '69 Cal 25 1997 - 2001
    '80 P16 1980 - 1996
    --
  • If its a different shape probably you need to move the jib block forward. Or set the jib higher on the luff. It could also be a bad repair, maybe a panel replaced or sewed a bit off. A typical repair point is where the jib touches the spreaders.
  • Thanks,

I forgot to mention, I tried moving the jib blocks forward and aft, it still didn't change it at all, and it was on both tacks as well.

I will look for repairs, that might be it, if so can a good sail shop fix it, or will I need a new jib?

--
    Jim
    New Orleans

'83 H18 SX mods 2013 -
    '65 Lavey Craft 2005 -
    '69 Cal 25 1997 - 2001
    '80 P16 1980 - 1996
    --
  • when a jib (that once fit correctly) flutters like mad, it typically is blown out (stretched) and will have a big hook in the leach (curve), besides getting a new leach and foot cut/sewn into a sail ... not a lot you can do about it

the stretched window is surprising ... never seen one on a jib stretch. Any chance the previous owner did a pitch pole and either the skipper/captain or both landed in the jib ? That would explain all (stretched window and sail)
  • BY definition the SX is a mylar jib so unless it is aftermarket it is a standard H-18 Jib. SX jibs have a leech line that can be adjusted tighter but that usually only adds to the hook. HTH, Ricardo.

--
    Lake Perry KS
    H-18
    N-5.5 UNI +spin
    --
  • Jim, if you don't have a leach line... then your jib may have a clew plate with several holes in it... try connecting your jib sheets to the hole that's highest, or higher than you usually use up, so when you sheet in you pull the sail more "down" than "back"... this may work to tighten the leach more... cheers, -Rob.

Edited by robpatt on Sep 09, 2013 - 03:19 PM.
  • Sad to say I don't know the history of this set of sails, so anything is possible.

This is an after market set, that is why they are Dacron.

They were made by Super Sailmakers of Fort Lauderdale.

Rob, I don't remember seeing a hole higher up in the clew plate, but that could be changed. I will also be taking it to a sail maker to have the "glass" replaced.

I think before I do anything drastic, I am going to shorten my fwd stay about 6", that just may give me more downward pull with the mast forward a bit. The more I think about it that just might be part of the issue.

Thanks guys for all the info!!!

--
    Jim
    New Orleans

'83 H18 SX mods 2013 -
    '65 Lavey Craft 2005 -
    '69 Cal 25 1997 - 2001
    '80 P16 1980 - 1996
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.