Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Hobie 16 jibsail problem  Bottom

• Hello all,
    Bought a 1976 H16 a couple of years ago. Finally made time to replace rigging and make some other repairs, was hoping to do a shakedown cruise today. When hoisting the sails in my driveway I found that the jibsail won't clear the mast: there is about 4" of the jib ( along almost the entire height of the sail) that won't clear the mast. I'm pretty sure these are not the original sails. Anybody have any suggestions? Frustrated and befuddled right now. icon_confused
  • I think that's is normal. The jib overlaps on the 16 but I am to a 16 guy.

--
    Tim
    Collierville (Memphis), TN
    Supercat 15--sold :(
    Hobie monocat--given
    Vanguard 15--traded for...
    Nacra 4.5--sold
    Nacra 5.7
    Hobie 14–sold to make room for...
    Supercat 17–sold
    --
  • Yes that is normal. In light winds, the jib battens will get caught on the jib halyard or mast.

You can get a pulley and rivet it to the side of the mast just below the tang and then when you hoist the jib, pull the jib halyard around the pulley and it will run down the side of the mast.

Or I have seen some folks remove the batten cap, drill a hole in the batten and just run a line though the grommet and hole int he batten so nothing is sticking out the back of the sail.

Or both.

Edited by klppurdy on Sep 09, 2013 - 07:07 AM.

--
    Kenneth Purdy
    Hobie 16
    Nacra 5.2 (2)
    Banshee
    First Coast, Florida
    --
  • my 84? H16 came with jib batten hinges (http://www.murrays.com/archive/38-39.pdf - bottom left of page)

they worked pretty well at helping the jib tack to the other side without getting hung up too often - i would recommend them to anyone who wants to reduce that issue and are willing to give up a very small amount of performance

QuoteOr I have seen some folks remove the batten cap, drill a hole in the batten and just run a line though the grommet and hole int he batten so nothing is sticking out the back of the sail.
  • Some more ideas are at this thread

http://www.thebeachcats.c…ms/viewtopic/topic/14219

--
    Ted
    Hobie 16
    South Carolina Lake sailing
    --
  • Find you some Hobie "Super Battens" $37 for the whole set, problem solved. Jib pops to other side even in the lightest wind.
    Tim

--
    Tim Grover
    1996 Hobie Miracle 20
    Two Hobie 14's
    1983 G-Cat Restored
    Memphis TN / North Mississippi
    --
  • Agreed, super jib battens are the way to go.

--
    Ron
    Nacra F18
    Reservoir Sailing Assn.
    Brandon, Mississippi
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.