Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Nacra dolphin striker rod replacement  Bottom

• Hi, all I have a Nacra 5.0 and de-masted for the first time ever yesterday. The shroud snapped and down she went. Well the DS rod is bent quite a bit and was trying to un bolt to pull of and the threads are crossed so it's really junk now. So I will cut it in half and pull off that way . So now where do I get a replacement DS rodor is there an aftermarket solution. Please help need to sail. Thanks all.
  • Check with Murray's Marine online, they may have them. New England Catamarans is also a good source as is Key Sailing. You can also try your local Nacra dealer or Performance Catamaran directly. On here, Dan Berger often has Nacra parts and so does Pete Begle.

Worst comes to worst you can just get yourself a stainless threaded rod. Rod length if 14" long. I don't recall the diameter or thread off hand but I seem to recall 9/16" standard thread. Someone will have to confirm that or you can measure your old rod.

D.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • That looks like one of those things that would be easy/peasy to make, if you have a machine shop. icon_biggrin
    http://www.grainger.com/G…d-Stock-3ANH4?Pid=search
    http://www.grainger.com/G…e-Stock-2PCL8?Pid=search

Disclaimer, these are just random links I found, I don't have any idea of the correct dimensions or threads of the dolphin striker. Unless you are a machinist, best to buy the original part.

Because if you screw this up, your boat could explode and you could die. You have been warned.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • It is fairly easy, & cheap to make one. They are 9/16" SS NF (national fine). You may see the thread size listed as 9/16" 18....as in 18 threads/inch. Any metal Supermarket etc will sell you 9/16" stock. You only need 304 SS, not 316.
    You can cut the threads on 9/16" stock, but it takes quite a bit of forward, backoff, forward. My neighbor shaved 1 or 2 thou off the area threads were to be cut, to make threading easier. I built a new rod for $16.
    Go to Tech Help under albums, & look for "make a new DS for $16."
    Just make sure you cut enough threads so you can pretension the beam.
    Don't try to turn the nuts over a bent section, even a slight bend, they simply won't go. Better to cut the rod, twice if you have to & save the nuts, if they are self locking, they are worth a few bucks each.
    If you don't have a buddy with a lathe, check with any small shop that does machining. Buy stock for 2 rods, if they charge for an hour labour, you can easily do two, or even three in a hour, sell one & have spares. You may have to click on the photo in the album, then click "next" in order to see the full text.
    http://www.thebeachcats.c…ictures/?g2_itemId=73301

Edited by Edchris177 on Jul 10, 2011 - 09:22 PM.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • Hey EC, wonder if we can get a machinist hooked on Nacras... That would make getting the small parts much simpler, if Performance is indeed not planning on making them anymore.

Of course having a long haul pilot who goes to australia on occasion is almost as good. prost Since Nacra Australia is essentially a separate company and do thier own manufacturing. I will send out your parts tomorrow evening. by the way.

Edited by Wolfman on Jul 10, 2011 - 09:16 PM.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • Thanks, I'm goint to try that 3:1
    Having a neighbor that owns a tool & die company is a real bonus when I need stuff made, he does things in 1/10 the time it takes me. Quid Pro Quo, I usually take him skiing to Banff a couple times each winter, & he has a place at Mt Hood in Oregon, just found out we go their direct every day!
    I've got to change my jib halyard to some spyderline I ordered, the old one is too long, & the extra hangs up the roller furling.
    Also a trap line has 2 broken strands,(not mine, the crews icon_lol )
    I realigned my beam today, torqued things down hung the wife on the wire & did 20 miles in a good stiff breeze. Had to come home for a day as daughter is flying in tomorrow, but have all week off. Wind has been good, weather here is hot, beer fridge on 5

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    --
  • Wanted to say Thanks for the info. I ordered one from murrays paid for it and then received an email the following day saying there not able to get any,I wish they would of had something to let you know that there O/S out-of -stock. But oh well at least it was sooner than later .So I called New England Catamarans and was able to purchase it and more on-top of getting some great info about my Cat and some small talk.Great guy to deal with and will buy from again. Again Thanks everyone for your advice/recommendations.Brad.
  • I know there was a post here on how to do it. Will look it up tomorow. Regular stuff available localy..

--
    Hal Liske
    Livermore CA
    H 16 (6+ 1.. Friends) H 3.2 N 5.2 (2) H 17 (2) H-18
    Nacra 5.8 (son's) H 20 (Friends)
    It's a Sickness

I Need a A Cat Please
    --
  • would the product number 98847A034 from http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/118/3170/=hy40nn work for the dolphin striker on a Nacra. Thank you, Andrew
  • Nice find, looks to me like it would work. Be sure and report back if you get one and use it.

--
    Rob
    OKC
    Pile of Nacra parts..
    --
  • Maybe I missed an item, but it looks like the only material in 9/16" is 12 threads. That equates to coarse thread,(NC), fine thread,(NF) is 18, that is what the factory part has. Not sure if it makes a difference, but many high stress fittings, think engine studs, use fine thread. They must have had a reason to use fine thread on the original, as it costs more than coarse.
    If you did try it, you would need to buy the 12 thread nuts.

Edited by Edchris177 on Jun 13, 2012 - 11:02 AM.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    --
  • The mast ball is fine thread too Right Chris??

--
    Hal Liske
    Livermore CA
    It's a Sickness

I Need a A Cat Please
    --
  • Yes, good catch Hal. If you build a rod from the NC threaded rod, you will have to build a mast ball threaded NC.
    If you go that route, you can get by with a cheap tap, as the balls are not hard material,(IIRC the Rockwell was only 90ish). Just be sure to buy a "bottoming tap", you want to be able to cut threads right to the bottom of the hole you drill in the ball.
    It is also easy to get the tap started crooked when cutting threads in plastic, so you might screw the first couple of threads, but it will probalby scewr on, once you get it started you're golden.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    --
  • Thank you everyone for your help. The rod arrived today due to the lower number of threads per inch i ordered i pressure nuts and plan to use 2 if possible on the top and bottom. Ed, are you suggesting that there is a place where i can buy the nylon ball and drill my own hole in it to tap?
  • I had another thought. Can i rethread the top half of the rod one the nuts are on?
  • Optionl plan is to get the correct size heli-coil thread. Drill out the ball to accept it. Remember.. There is no upward pressure on the ball. All the thread does is keep it from slopping around on the shaft. Even if you have a captive mast base (do you??) the only pressure on the ball happens if you forget to rotate the mast when you take it down and the mast base pulls the ball up when the mast rotation bar rips the tramp. Both sizes of the ball are available it the threads are standard nacra.. I think New England Cats has them.. Hal

Coastrat. I know you dont read threads about nacrs but just in case. 3 Prindels on top of the classified?? Half way to the Mid Coast Honist Hals Used Cats dealershiip..

--
    Hal Liske
    Livermore CA
    It's a Sickness

I Need a A Cat Please
    --
  • http://www.thebeachcats.com/pictures/?g2_itemId=103932&g2_imageViewsIndex=1
    http://www.thebeachcats.com/pictures/?g2_itemId=103927&g2_imageViewsIndex=1
    Here's a couple of pictures of what happened when i tried to bend my dolphin striker bolt back. $70 for a new one is a pretty small price to pay for the assurance that its not cracked from bending it.
  • Buy the replaccement from Murrays or your Nacra dealer. THIS IS A WEAR PART. It is designed to fail as it did. Anything else will do worse damage. Please for the sake of your boat and safety buy the proper part. It is short money.

Edited by lawrencer2003 on Sep 07, 2013 - 08:10 PM.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.