Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Lightning and Catamaran Sailing  Bottom

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

• sunday was better than sat
    i was crew on the only beachcat in the bay.

we got hit with gust to 30 and just about white out conditions with the rain

was fun till the lightning started to pop overhead
  • Quotewas fun till the lightning started to pop overhead

I've often wondered about that. We don't do much sailing in CB's here. Do Cats ever get hit?
    I'm thinking that tall aluminum stick is an easy target, & you are out in the open. I can see a lead sled cockpit protecting you, but Beachcats seem pretty exposed. Have people been hit, what are(were) the consequences?

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • I've never heard of someone that is sailing a beachcat being hit by lightning. I don't advocate sailing in a thunder storm, though.
    On the beach is a different story. One of the guys on our beach witnessed someone get hit by lightning while lowering the mast on the trailer. Evidently, that is not recommended, no second chances.

--
    Steve Fisherkeller
    P19MX
    --
  • QuoteI've never heard of someone that is sailing a beachcat being hit by lightning

i got hit twice in a row at the finish of the slip to ship regatta...i got it through the arm(tiller arm) and my crew got it through his leg. i guess the two of us split up the charge or something. people watching said it hit us directly but i think it was about 100' away and we got one of the smaller bolts that accompany the big daddy. the main bolt was about as round as a 5 gallon bucket and made a distinctive "SIZZLE" sound right before the big "BOOM!". then the strong smell of ozone was immediately all around us. boy did we have fun telling that story over numerous cocktails at the club that night. i still can't feel my legs...or is it arms?...it happens!

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --
  • hollllllly shyyyyyte!

Glad your around to tell that tale....

did you gain any super powers?

Quotei got hit twice in a row at the finish of the slip to ship regatta...i got it through the arm(tiller arm) and my crew got it through his leg. i guess the two of us split up the charge or something. people watching said it hit us directly but i think it was about 100' away and we got one of the smaller bolts that accompany the big daddy. the main bolt was about as round as a 5 gallon bucket and made a distinctive "SIZZLE" sound right before the big "BOOM!". then the strong smell of ozone was immediately all around us. boy did we have fun telling that story over numerous cocktails at the club that night. i still can't feel my legs...or is it arms?...it happens!
  • QuoteHave people been hit, what are(were) the consequences?

Living here in the lightning capital of North America ... I asked these question too...

I asked the oldest local sailor i knew (he owned the local sailing shop for dozens of years too).
    He had only heard of 1 boat in our area getting struck, she was on a sunfish and it blew 1000's of small perforations into the boat where moisture vaporized ... she was unharmed

Rick White's answer to my question was:
    He delivered 100's of boats and was never struck.
    very few boats (cats / monos) are struck while moving ... but it can happen

boats on anchor (especially grounded boats he said too), beach, land, etc are much more likely to be hit for some reason

PS Steve's story about the guy who was struck while trying to lower his mast didn't include the consequences - I seem to recall hearing he didn't survive.
    did you gain any super powers?

yes...the ability to doublefist cocktails at an amazing rate! some effects still linger...

--
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    --
  • Many moons ago I sailed out of a ditch on the beach side of the Manteo Causeway on the Outer Banks The guy who owned the place was Jake Spicer. He had some Hobies get hit. They were sitting on the grass. The charge came down
    the mast, through the tramp frame, down the pylons, and out through the hulls to ground. The result was an 8x10 patch inboard and outboard, for and aft of disintegrated foam and de laminated fiberglass. They were repairable but it was ugly.

--
    '82 Super Cat 15
    Hull #315
    Virginia
    Previously owned: '70 H14, '79 H16, '68 Sailmaster 26, '85 H14T
    --
  • we have a new weather item to watch out for lately (3 in the past 3 days)

http://www.israeltour.com/images/storm.jpg
  • MN3we have a new weather item to watch out for lately (3 in the past 3 days)

Yikes help

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • MN3we have a new weather item to watch out for lately (3 in the past 3 days)

http://www.israeltour.com/images/storm.jpg

even a beginner would try and sail around that i think
  • you'd think -
    https://www.youtube.com/w…r_embedded&v=BnpftQHLruE
    Quoteeven a beginner would try and sail around that i think
  • I was told by a sailor that if i wanted to protect my rig at all times from Lightening he said to get some type of wire cable attached to a shroud and let it hang in the water. Has anyone heard of that? it seems like an idea?

--
    Reynolds 21 Catamaran #38
    Pennsylvania, PA.
    --
  • QuoteI was told by a sailor that if i wanted to protect my rig at all times from Lightening he said to get some type of wire cable attached to a shroud and let it hang in the water. Has anyone heard of that? it seems like an idea?

From Rick White a few years ago
    "I captained charter trips for 10 years and did yacht deliveries during that time and sailed through many, many lightning storms, never been hit. Had strikes nearby that would make things tingle a bit, but never been hit.
    However, many cruising boats ground their boats to the water to dissipate any lightning strikes. Those were the only boats I knew of that ever got hit. Some had pretty bad damage -- they are sort of saying, "Come on! Give me your best shot!" And then trying to guide that strike to the water ground. That is when the lightning says, "OK, here is my best shot, and I am going to go anywhere I want once I hit."
    As far as cat sailing goes, again no hits. Back in the 70s while sailing in Canada we were in a huge storm with strikes all around us. We had an aluminum tiller extension and could feel the shocks coming through it from strikes around us."
  • Quotehuge storm with strikes all around us. We had an aluminum tiller extension and could feel the shocks coming through it from strikes around us."

WOW that would freak me out!

--
    Reynolds 21 Catamaran #38
    Pennsylvania, PA.
    --
  • I have sailed in more lightning that i wish... it sucks

ps one trick i learned ... sail and tie up near boats with bigger masts ..
    the boat tied up 2' from my boat got hit last year on the beach. blew a small hole in his hull (below the side stay chain plate)

similarly, i dont swim in the gulf often but when i do ... I prefer to swim with fat(er) and slower people around.... just in-case
    soulofasailor
    Quotehuge storm with strikes all around us. We had an aluminum tiller extension and could feel the shocks coming through it from strikes around us."

WOW that would freak me out!
  • soulofasailorI was told by a sailor that if i wanted to protect my rig at all times from Lightening he said to get some type of wire cable attached to a shroud and let it hang in the water. Has anyone heard of that? it seems like an idea?

Great idea if you want to ATTRACT lightning strikes by being the best path to ground. mischuge

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • people tend to pray more when your surrounded by strikes...or drink more...your results may vary.

--
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    --
  • So if you're mast up sitting on the ground do you ground the mast? Would this send the charge straight to ground instead of through the hulls? Is this asking for trouble? If you're caught out do you huddle on the tramp and touch no metal? How about flipping it on purpose? Would throwing a line out and trailing behind the boat be a good idea?

--
    '82 Super Cat 15
    Hull #315
    Virginia
    Previously owned: '70 H14, '79 H16, '68 Sailmaster 26, '85 H14T
    --
  • QuoteSo
    if you're mast up sitting on the ground do you ground the mast? - if you wish to be part of a lightning rod, sure

Would this send the charge straight to ground instead of through the hulls? - not sure

Is this asking for trouble? - OHHH YEA

If you're caught out do you huddle on the tramp and touch no metal? - yup

How about flipping it on purpose? - why would you want to be in the water?

Would throwing a line out and trailing behind the boat be a good idea?

good for fishing, not so much in lightning storms (can conduct electricity back up to the boat)

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.