Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

FYI  Bottom

• JB Weld has a new product on the market, an epoxy putty called WaterWeld. I highly recommend this for the catsailors kit/gear box, will set in water, works on fiberglass (and gelcoat). It is ideal for those emergency patch jobs that would otherwise end a day of sailing. I have used this for temporary fixes but the stuff has cured so well to the fiberglass that it has become a semi-permanent fix. Came back from sailing the other day to find 1 hull with a lot of water, noticed a leak, on further investigation, found a poorly disguised plug of something, pushed my finger into it and it disintegrated, water poured out, leaving a perfectly round hole on the bottom of the hull. Don't have time to do a proper fix, so I will use the JB WaterWeld to plug the hole. The advantage of putty is that it is so easy to work with under just about any circumstance, set time 25 min, cure time 1 hr.

renovator
  • i have a tube of Pool Epoxy in my cat tool box. It cures underwater too, costs about $10 and is NOT permanent.
  • I use tile tape to cover holes, has worked great on several occasions for myself and others.
  • I use Solarez.
    Super strong, and cures in less than 5 minutes in sunlight.
    Stronger than your hull and is filled with shreaded fiberglass.
    Go here and look at the video for fixing rail damage.

http://www.solarez.com/uses/surfboards.html

You do not need the flashlight. Free sunlight will work well.
    A thin-paste mixture of clear, polyester resin and chop-strand glass fibers. Cures either by UV light in approx 3 minutes or by MEKP catalyst in 30 minutes.

Use the regular Solarez for your hull and the Solarez Extreme for your foils. The Extreme will dissolve the styrofoam in some cats.
    I have used the Extreme to fix 30+ dings on my rudders and centerboards.
    I was able to recreate the square corners on my rudders as they came from the factory.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.