Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

would anyone on here rent a larger sailboat in FL??  Bottom

• I am seriously considering purchasing a 29-32 mono hull sail boat. I am considering renting it out to experienced sailers. Probably keep at Clearwater municipal marina they have showers and facilitis. Also easy direct access to gulf. Would anyone on here consider renting?? Thoughts and input

Will

--
    Will
    Indian Shores, FL
    Newbie but catching on fast.
    NACRA 17
    --
  • not unless it was a ridiculously good deal
    and / or it comes with the Swedish Bikini Team as crew

ps have you looked into the costs of insurance on a boat you plan to rent out to the public?

Edited by MN3 on Jul 08, 2013 - 02:05 PM.
  • I have thought about insurance and sea tow (I have sea tow personally). I was thinking about the same as a condo rents for? $100-200 a night pending how long the rental is? say $700 for a week. I am going to purchase a larger boat for weekend trips and longer trips say to Key West. Right now I have a offer for a 1996 Hunter 29.5

This may just be more trouble than it would be worth, thus why I am throwing the question out?

Will icon_biggrin

--
    Will
    Indian Shores, FL
    NACRA 17
    --
    Most "Bareboat" organizations are based on a fleet of privately owned boats. Might be worth looking into

M Corby

Edited by turborat on Jul 08, 2013 - 07:02 PM.
  • Is that a fixed or swing keel boat? The cost to repair a grounded boat with damage to the keel can get quite expensive requiring pulling and yard time. This is if you are lucky and they don't run aground cracking the trunk to allowing water to leak in. Just something to think about in the shallow waters in this area. As an insurance adjuster, and having paid for several you need to think about the down time ( lost of rents ), and subrogation back against the at fault party. A lot of times, not only do you damage the keel and trunk but get into the prop and shaft, along with rudder post. Check with the big marinas on their requirements and bookings for their boats.

--
    Forrest
    I-20 USA-645
    Hernando, Florida
    "There's not enough rum in the drum"
    --
  • Good points. It is a shallow/wing keel. I think 4' draft at most. I did look up the fleet option. They are very expensive for renter. Maybe that is to cover incidents. This is just an idea. Not even a factor in buying. I appreciate all input.

Will icon_biggrin

--
    Will
    Indian Shores, FL
    NACRA 17
    --
  • Here are a few questions - I'm not being nosy just answer them to yourself

1 Is renting the boat more than 1 week a month necessary to buy and or maintain the boat?
    2 Have you rented a charter boat to see how it works?
    3 Have you considered all the liability issues - intoxicated operators, forming an LLC to shield yourself from law suits
    4 What other cost will occur from boat being used in rental - wear on sails, lost gear, cigarette burns??

I'm sure I can come up with more but start with those

I heard something once at a marina that will give you something to think about in general - A sailor will come to a Marina with 100.00 and a change of under wear and not use either...............

Already there has been a statement to this effect above

--
    Lee - On the BIG Lake in MS

Harstil Kaulua 31 - Current Project Boat
    Cal 25 - What ? Time to freshen it up again??
    MC Scow 16 (1 in the water and 1 parts/project) SOLD
    Capri 22 - What do you mean you wont deliver it??
    Chrysler Pirateer 13 - new addition to the fleet
    --
  • 27fountainI have thought about insurance and sea tow (I have sea tow personally). I was thinking about the same as a condo rents for? $100-200 a night pending how long the rental is? say $700 for a week. I am going to purchase a larger boat for weekend trips and longer trips say to Key West. Right now I have a offer for a 1996 Hunter 29.5

This may just be more trouble than it would be worth, thus why I am throwing the question out?

Will icon_biggrin

As a long time bareboater and ASA member I'll give my input and you can take it for what it is worth. First I would never do it myself, too much headache but as a customer your price seems spot on although your boat is small. Every year I do a bareboat trip, usually a 40+ cat that can take 3-4 couples, that's usually 4K per week, and that is anywhere in the world but the virgin islands is my most constant departure point, due to cost and just awesome location.

From the stories I have heard from owners and fleet managers, I would never do it. I flog their boats and they luv me as a customer, I can't imagine what they normally get. lol
  • 27fountainI am seriously considering purchasing a 29-32 mono hull sail boat. I am considering renting it out to experienced sailers. Probably keep at Clearwater municipal marina they have showers and facilitis. Also easy direct access to gulf. Would anyone on here consider renting?? Thoughts and input

Will

But as a S Florida local, sure I would pay $200 even $300 for 2 nights on a 30' mono. Provided it is clean.

Question for you thou, is there another 30' mono in Clearwater offering the same services? What do they charge, if none why...hmmm. Always better to rent a boat if possible, just sayin. icon_wink

Edited by flfingermullet on Jul 14, 2013 - 10:16 AM.
  • Thank you for all the replies. Right now I am just going to concentrate on the purchase. Could just be more headache.

Thank you

Will

--
    Will
    Indian Shores, FL
    NACRA 17
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.