Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Where do you keep your battery?  Bottom

• I'd like to start by saying I'm not really into motors, but my new boat (G-Cat 5.7) does have a Cheatah mount. It also came with 2 hp Honda outboard and a 40lb thrust trolling motor. Anybody use a gas outboard on there Cat? Built in gas tank so thats not an issue. If I use the electric What do I do with the battery? I am a sailor, and I don't really want to do any major mods, most of the time it won't get used. Thanks. Got some hobie 16 booms and mast base for grabs if anyone wants them
  • jalex Anybody use a gas outboard on there Cat?

Usually when sailors add the Cheatah mount and motor to a beachcat it is because of special circumstances where they sail. One big reason would be people who have to launch in a crowded marina far from open water or up a canal where sailing out may not be an option.

Sometimes it's because they like to sail far away in an area prone to calms and want to be more assured of getting back on schedule.

But if you don't have any such situation, sell all the mount and motors for big bucks to someone who needs them and buy new sails. icon_cool

But to answer the question about the battery, there used to be a trolling motor kit for the Hobie 16 that mounted the trolling motor on the front crossbar, then it swung sideways along the beam. The kit came with a wire cage also in front of the front beam to hold the battery. I don't think that's available any more, only thing I found current was a trolling motor mount for the Hobie Wave but it doesn't mention what to do with the batter.

If you are rich there is always the Torgeedo electric outboard with integrated battery and GPS range calculation.
    http://www.torqeedo.com/u…s/products-a-accessories

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2…/370740145841#vi-content

http://www.torqeedo.com/images/products/Travel_1003_2-Blatt-Prop.jpg

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • I thought that cage was a cooler holder...

Quote The kit came with a wire cage also in front of the front beam to hold the battery.
  • x

Edited by MN3 on Jul 12, 2013 - 06:02 AM.
  • I would use the gas if it was me.

--
    Greenville SC

Offering sails and other go fast parts for A-class catamarans
    --
  • MN3I thought that cage was a cooler holder...

Quote The kit came with a wire cage also in front of the front beam to hold the battery.

If my memory is correct (I can't find any pictures of what I remember) the battery holder was similar to the Playmate Cooler wire rack.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • I have a Cruise n carry 12lb outboard with built in tank It makes about 2hp and pushed my 16ft lead sled to open water easily. A deep cycle battery weighs 40+lbs plus the trolling motor. Never have used an aux power on a small beach cat I think I would use the gas power or nothing

--
    Lee - On the BIG Lake in MS

Harstil Kaulua 31 - Current Project Boat
    Cal 25 - What ? Time to freshen it up again??
    MC Scow 16 (1 in the water and 1 parts/project) SOLD
    Capri 22 - What do you mean you wont deliver it??
    Chrysler Pirateer 13 - new addition to the fleet
    --
  • my friend has used a battery and trolling motor on his p18 and a h16 (front beam) - slow and painful but better than paddlin'

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.