Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Hobie 16 paint job?  Bottom

• Ok so i baught an older hobie 16 and i would like to make it look new or newer again by getting some color on it. I think if i understand correctly that i basically have 2 choices if i wanted a new color on my boat. The first is using some type of paint, if this is true what kind? Where do i look? I Have no idea. And then i read that you can just put colored epoxy resin on it. I am on a pretty tight budget and basically want a simple cheap way to fix up my cat, if that is possible. Any help or insight into this whole subject will be helpfull thanks

edited by: Eaglecat, Apr 09, 2008 - 05:26 PM
  • If you can take some pictures of your boat, create your photo album in the "Beachcats People" section so we can take a look at the current condition.

Most beachcats don't need to be painted to look good. Just need a lot of "elbow grease" applied to the gelcoat. A boat can look really nasty but really has nothing wrong but oxidation, dirt, tree sap, and pigeon crap built up over 20+ years.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • O ok i will put pictures on of it. I will also try to give it a good cleaning, and see what comes of it. Do i need to clean it with anthing special?
  • Everyone has there favorite method, but if it's been a long time since your boat has been cleaned, try the info in this thread.
    http://www.thebeachcats.c…iewtopic-topic-1403.html

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • I used a fine grain waterpaper, 1000 grit fine, to remove years of oxidation to my '79 H16. What a difference! the gelcoat colour just popped right back. I could not believe the contrast, it does take a lot of elbow grease, worthwhile though.

edited by: turbohobo, Apr 13, 2008 - 04:26 PM

--
    TurboHobo
    H14T
    H16
    P18
    G-Cat 5.0
    P16
    --
  • After repair my bottom from years of dragging across sand and rocks, I'm going to paint with Epiphanes one part yellow. I'll let you know how it turns out.

• I'm currently repairing a H14t and after patching a few large holes I repainted with Interlux Brightside one part. I used a foam roller and a small brush for details instead of spraying so its not a professional job but I think it looks okay. You will probably spend about $100 on paint and sandpaper for your 16 if you do it this way. (The wife says the fire red color will make it easier for the coast guard to find me)

http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=62051&g2_serialNumber=3&g2_GALLERYSID=f5125832f81daff23d34d4cb11e370ed
  • purty
  • I have a 14t also! How much paint did it take... a gallon or more? Mine is going to be flat white (I hope). Don't want to fight the glare and I'm going to sand the bottom to break-up the boundry layer. I want it fast!

Thanks,

Steve
  • wmsteveI have a 14t also! How much paint did it take... a gallon or more? Mine is going to be flat white (I hope). Don't want to fight the glare and I'm going to sand the bottom to break-up the boundry layer. I want it fast!

Thanks,

Steve

I used about a quart and a third, but I only put two coats of red after one coat of interlux primer. Since you are using white you probably wont use more than 2 quarts and possibly get by with only one quart depending on how many coats you use and if you use a primer. Post a picture when your done..
  • Thank You Matt! Your' cat looks very, very nice! Wow! 2 Quarts. That brings the cost down a-bunch. The hulls are white now so, would you recommend the primer(a quart) before the color coats?

I'll post a photo as soon as I figure this site out, ok?

Thank You Very Much!
  • wmsteveDon't want to fight the glare

I have never had (or heard) of glare off the boat being an issue with anyone!

It actually sounds like it would be an advantage while racing (blinding other skippers)... but again.... NEVER

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.