Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Hobie 17 advice  Bottom

• Hello all, hopefully someone can help me out.

I have bought a 87 hobie 17 that I consider in reasonable shape for rec sailing. It came with a spinnaker kit made by hobie and this is the confusing part. I cannot find bridles for the spin pole. I'm sure there must be some right?

Second question. I have a 2 foot hairline crack in the port hull from improper winter storage. The area around it is not soft but I really don't what to become a uboat commander some day sailing. If I inject penetrating epoxy, like with a soft spot and grind out the crack and refill with marine tex do you think that will do the job?

Thanks for your replys
  • I don't think Hobie made a spin kit for the H17. What did the previous owner tell you about it?

Hobie sold a Hobie 17 Sport edition that added a jib to the H17, I think that kit included a load bar that stretched between the two bows where the bridles attach, in order to have a place for the jib.

I'll let others answer the question about the crack, pictures would help with that.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • I also have a 87 Hobie 17... I don't think a 17 can handle a spin~~~to much on the mast, and if it breaks, they're hard to find... I have 'super' jib (larger than a sport jib)... I do have a pict of it in here, but can't figure out how to post it here?? "DAAAAAMON".... I do have a load bar on it.... As for the crack~~~ fill it like ya said, keep water out of it... boats like ours are gettin kinda rare, so take care of it........mine is real pretty icon_biggrin

--
    ~ Vietnam Vet 69-71~ 17 Hobie w/big jib, ~18 Hobie mag,~DN Ice sailor,
    and other toys.......
    ~~ I live in NY state on the north shore of Oneida lake in
    Bernhards Bay. ~~~~~~
    --
  • damonAdminI don't think Hobie made a spin kit for the H17. What did the previous owner tell you about it?

Hobie sold a Hobie 17 Sport edition that added a jib to the H17, I think that kit included a load bar that stretched between the two bows where the bridles attach, in order to have a place for the jib.

I'll let others answer the question about the crack, pictures would help with that.

Thanks for your reply. The boat is the H17 SE (full boom) with the jib upgrade. The spinnaker kit is for the H18, make by hobie. The spinnaker tang is 24" up from where the comptip starts.
  • Hey Recce41....I have picts in my album on here... go to photo albums~~ click on members~~ look for 'popeyes place'
    my 17 is in there among other picts I have icon_wink

--
    ~ Vietnam Vet 69-71~ 17 Hobie w/big jib, ~18 Hobie mag,~DN Ice sailor,
    and other toys.......
    ~~ I live in NY state on the north shore of Oneida lake in
    Bernhards Bay. ~~~~~~
    --
  • Your boat was not intended for a spin.
    The mast you have is re-enforced for aft pressure (the sail track is like a backbone) but has no way of handling the forward and sideways pressures...

Put the spin on your H18... that has spreaders.. and you say the spin was designed for it.

PS you can make bridals out of 1/8" line or even smaller spectra/vectran... no need for them to be wire. there is not the same force on a spin bridal compaired to your forestay bridals...
  • Can't quite work out how to paste a link here, but....if you go to Photo albums, go to Member Albums and scroll down to "Tony_H17 Pages" there is a H17 with a spinnaker setup. Check out the bend in the mast....

--
    TurboHobo
    H14T
    H16
    P18
    G-Cat 5.0
    P16
    --
  • Haha... thats not even close to what you will get when you get hit with a gust of air and hit a wave!... if there was any wind (over 8mph) he would see his boat flip on the beach with that sail out and the halyard (and tackline) all the way out.

PS he is saying that sail is from a F18 Dart.... I think he meanst the Dart Hawk

http://www.thebeachcats.c…pictures&g2_itemId=17104

edited by: andrewscott, May 13, 2009 - 12:18 PM
  • This is a 430lb cat, 30'/ 70lb mast with spreaders... in VERY light air.... (with no mast rotation)...

http://a611628.sites.myregisteredsite.com/a/cat/shells/zak2.jpg

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.