Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Prindle 16 Glass Repair problem  Bottom

• Ok so I picked up a some 16s over the past couple seasons and one of the hulls had this obviously patched area that I later learned the patch job was worse than I'd though and was actually peeling off. I figured just lazy bad surface prep but I decided to dig into to see if I could fix the issue and make the hull sound. Then my son could sail a boat with 2 hulls the same color. icon_wink

Well I sanded through the patch and this is what I found. I am afraid I might have bitten off a bit more than I can chew.

http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=102520&g2_serialNumber=4

http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=102516&g2_serialNumber=4

From What I remember the patch on the inside of the hull looked pretty good and solid but it looks like they filled the void with spray foam insulation then put some glass over that with some Bondo then another layer over all of it without properly prepping any of it.

I'm sure it can be fixed but I'm not sure if I'm up to I tor not. I'd have to dig out all the foam and grind it back even more, then find something to act as the core at least on the sides the bottom I have no problem layering thick with fiberglass.

Anyway I am open to all comments, suggestions, and OMGs

Edited by Quarath on May 31, 2013 - 09:32 PM.

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • Now that we have that out of the way...... Any useful suggestions?

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.