Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Top Ten/Twenty Highest Production Beachcats  Bottom

• Who has guesses?

Some are obvious to be in the top ten all-time production.

Hobie 14, 16, 18, and maybe 20

Prindle 16 and maybe 18

What else? True production numbers are hard to find.

A lot of Sol Cats were built
    The G-Cat 5.0 and 5.7 are candidates
    Probably a lot of Aqua Cats got built

Also, if we are making a list, how to include the formula class boats? I doubt if F16 or even F18 total production breaks the top twenty, but maybe A-Class since they were built from the early years of beachcats.

And of course, I'm only counting the boats that were commonly sold in the USA. In the UK there were a lot of Darts and I have no idea what boats were popular in other countries in the big sales years of 70's and 80's.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • I'd guess 5 that should rank very highly:
    H16
    H14
    P16
    N5.2
    Wave

With:
    A-cats
    H18
    P18
    tornado

making an appearance before too long. I don't know anything about g-cat's, though, maybe there are quite a few. I know from my perspective (our cat community + local boat club) that Nacra 5.2s and Hobie16s are far and away more common (ie still alive, not just manufactured) than anything else.

--
    Rob
    OKC
    Pile of Nacra parts..
    --
  • pretty good history here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beachcat

With more than 30,000 boats shipped,[2] the AQUA CAT was inducted into the National Sailing Hall of Fame in 2001

nacra 5.2 about 2,500 boats made

Edited by erice on May 31, 2013 - 03:10 PM.
  • erice

With more than 30,000 boats shipped,[2] the AQUA CAT was inducted into the National Sailing Hall of Fame in 2001

nacra 5.2 about 2,500 boats madeEdited by erice on May 31, 2013 - 03:10 PM.

Aqua Cat has always had basically two models, plus some fringe models. If the 30,000 is anywhere near accurate then maybe 2/3 of them were the 12 footer?

I'd be surprised if any Nacra models made the top ten, maybe the top 20 since it drops off pretty fast I think. Main reason is that they didn't start production until well after the initial huge production years. The Prindle 16 has got to be the largest production Prindle/Nacra.

The Hobie sail numbers are somewhat of an indicator of volume produced. The Hobie 16 numbers are into, what, 130,000? Do the Prindle numbers work like that?

Anyone know when the Prindle 16 and 18 started and stopped production and if the sail numbers mean anything?

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Oh.

I thought the 5.2 replaced the first Nacra (the name of which escapes me) in ~ '76. They certainly seem to have stood the test of time if there were that few of them made.

--
    Rob
    OKC
    Pile of Nacra parts..
    --
  • the nacra 5.2 replaced the rolland alpha cats, which were made in a few different lengths

no one nacra was ever produced in especially large numbers as being more cutting edge, racing type boats as soon as a slightly better design was discovered the models changed to incorporate it, plus the factory and owners kept changing and stamping their mark on things with new models

so the rolland alpha cats became the nacra 5.2, then with small minor changes the 18sq, the 5.8, 5.5, 5.7, 5.0

then the 6.0

then the Infusions, F17. I20, F18, 500

now the 580, 570 etc. etc. etc.

meanwhile hobie just kept banging out the same 1 designs to the same slightly less race oriented, less demanding beach party crowd

Edited by erice on May 31, 2013 - 04:58 PM.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.