Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Side markers for 2" square tubing?  Bottom

• I bought a trailer for the Prindle 18, but the tail lights were junk and the side markers non existent.

I put LED tail lights on and thought I would skip the side markers, I am not sure if they are required technically or not.

Driving home in the dark last night I found that I really missed the side lights. Looking at photos of cat trailers it looks like many are built of 2 inch square tubing like this Sprint trailer, and many have side markers that look like they fit exactly into the tubing.

Searching the net I am not finding anything like that, a couple of round ones that might fit Anyone have a source for such?

Ideally I would love to have side marker/turn signal LED combinations but that doesn't seem likely.

Thanks
    Kevin
  • I have a similar trailer and my marker lights are also LED. They hang below the tubing from a bracket. I suppose some people may reverse the bracket so that the light is in the tube. Hanging them down, outside and slightly inboard protects them better though- and the marker lights seem to get damaged more than the tail lights.
    My two cents.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • Thanks Bob, there is hope!

Any idea who makes it?

Any idea where to get em?

Kevin

Edited by cellguru on May 29, 2013 - 11:45 AM.
  • CellGuruThanks Bob, there is hope!
    Any idea who makes it?
    Any idea where to get em?
    Kevin

Kevin,

http://www.etrailer.com/T…s/Optronics/MCL36AB.html

Good prices, quality stuff and good delivery times.
    Buy an extra cover lens for when you bust one:

http://www.etrailer.com/p-AL36AB.html

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • It's just a basic piece of flat stock bents to hole the light inside the tube. Pick up a piece at Home Depot and create your own.

--
    Greenville SC

Offering sails and other go fast parts for A-class catamarans
    --
  • bachoPick up a piece at Home Depot and create your own.

The whole light assembly including the bracket is $6.95.
    Your fabrication time is more valuable than that, and he needs the marker lights as well.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • klozhald
    bachoPick up a piece at Home Depot and create your own.

The whole light assembly including the bracket is $6.95.
    Your fabrication time is more valuable than that, and he needs the marker lights as well.

Doesn't look like it comes with the bracket? If the ends of trailer cross-arms are the open ends of 2" square tube you'll need something to bolt that light onto. Just a 2x4 inch piece of metal with a 90 degree bend and two holes will work.

I upgraded all my lights to LED on a trailer that already had side markers, but the existing bracket holes didn't match the lights I could find at Walmart, so I glued them on with 3M Trim Adhesive.

One thing that is important with side lights is to make sure you really have a ground. These are commonly grounded directly to the cross arm, but if your trailer has stacked arms the galvanized surfaces may not provide a good ground. A welded trailer is all ground though.

Here is my quick and dirty side markers, been using them for three years now no problem, trailer is really lit up at night, I like being able to see the sides of the trailer in my rear view mirrors at night.

You can see how the stacked galvanized arms might not be a good conductor for a ground, to be safe I ran a ground wire all the way to the main fore and aft trailer structure which is grounded from the vehicle.

http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=102507&g2_serialNumber=3 http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=102511&g2_serialNumber=3

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Also, I created a new album in Beachcat Technical for "Trailer Lighting". Please everyone add your pictures and tips for doing trailer lighting there as well, help the next guy out, pictures are worth a thousand forum posts. icon_biggrin

http://www.thebeachcats.c…ctures/?g2_itemId=102499

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Thanks for all the ideas, I am still working through it here.

I am with you Damon, I really like seeing the trailer in the dark, and the tail lights on this trailer are situated so far inboard you can't see the integrated side markers.

I am looking at fabricating a bracket that would protect the light from getting stepped on and acting as a step and a tie down loop.

I will keep you posted and post photos once I figure it out.

Kevin

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.