Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

soft spot repair failure  Bottom

• so i used git rot to repair a soft spot about 10 inches by 6 inches. i hand drilled a few holes equidistant in that area and started filling. some holes would not take, some did take and started overflowing up the breather hole as expected. problem being is i dumped a whole kit of git rot in and not all the wholes filled. i opened the port at the stern and low and behold, 98% of my git rot went through the inner membrane.

now i know the first thought is i drilled trough it, but in every hole i hand drilled and finished off with the bit between my fingers till i felt the inner membrane. could the inner membrane have been punctured before i began the repair? if so how do i fix this?

im about to head to the hardware store for some thick puddy to fill my holes and leave the soft spot till the summer is over.

mike
    hobie miracle 20

--
    Mike Cimino

Hobie Miracle 20
    Southampton NY
    --
  • You might be able to use a paint roller and "wet out" the inner membrane. This will seal the membrane. I did this on my H18 with a paint roller on the end of a long stick and was able to get as far as the angle of the hull would let me.

--
    Jim
    New Orleans

'83 H18 SX mods 2013 -
    '65 Lavey Craft 2005 -
    '69 Cal 25 1997 - 2001
    '80 P16 1980 - 1996
    --
  • thanks for the advice jim. after looking at it again this morning with a clear head i found the hole in the membrane to be right under one of my 18 or so breather holes. it seems to be wider than the bit so i still think the hole was there prior to my drilling but who knows. maybe i wasnt as careful as i thought.

for now i purchased some west systems six10 and squeezed as much into the drill holes as i could, smoothed over the top and it is just about done curing and the soft spot feels much more solid. it seems to me that it will last the summer and i can tackle it in the offseason.

--
    Mike Cimino

Hobie Miracle 20
    Southampton NY
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.