Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

86' Hobie H-18 Advice  Bottom

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

• Hi all, I'm a newb here and have been lurking for a while learning from the forums while looking for my first Hobie.
    I found a local 86' H-18 that I am thinking of going to check out. I'm nervous though as I've read about mid eighties hulls having problems. Should I skip this boat and wait for an older or newer version? Other than the year the boat seems great. It has SX wings, good sails, Harken hardware, good trailer, beach wheels, etc. The seller also said the hulls have no soft spots. Just looking for advice on what to look for, or if should look for another year? Thanks in advance for any advice!
  • Also, the boat has the newer tiller/rudder system if that makes a difference.
  • check it out!

Check for soft spots.. press down hard with the heel of your hand:
    - just forward of the front crossbars
    - just forward of the rear crossbars
    - push, pull a bit on the rudder pins/gudgons to see if the strens are weak/damaged
    - get up under the boat and look for damages on the bottom from being on the trailer
    - PUSH on the hulls under the trampoline, both sides... kind of under the front crossbar area, towards under the tramp a bit.

Check if it has a stailless steel "D" looking reenforcement with 4 screws on the outside of the hulls where the front crossbar is.. and where the shrouds connect

Check that the mast is straight and the mast track isn't dented up.
    Check that the comptip isn't cracked.. look at the plastic comptip sail track that snaps on... and check the comptip closely where it sticks into the mast.. and up top around the halyard hook.

I think those would be the critical things to evaulate before going into "replacement" items (that you could replace) such as rigging, sails, lines, etc.

Good luck, let us know!
  • I have an '88 and absolutely love it. Its still in near-new condition. Biggest factor is how well it's been treated.

In addition to what Robpatt said, also check for cracks in the lip in the deck where the front crossbar is located. The wings place extra stress on the boat, so you have to be super careful about the reinforcements (both the D plates and the fiberglass patches on the inside of the hull).

If its been sailed in salt water much, you'll need to consider replacing the rigging and need to be extra cautious about corrosion.

--
    Jeff R
    '88 H18 "Jolly Mon"
    '10 C2 USA1193
    NE IN / SE MI
    cramsailing.com
    --
  • http://i25.photobucket.co…strum/P1010633-Copy6.jpg

Edited by got2strum on May 04, 2013 - 01:08 PM.
  • got2strumHi all, I'm a newb here and have been lurking for a while learning from the forums while looking for my first Hobie.
    I found a local 86' H-18 that I am thinking of going to check out. I'm nervous though as I've read about mid eighties hulls having problems.

Welcome to TheBeachcats.com!

If the boat is an '86 model it must have had some good (expensive) upgrades made to it by previous owners.

got2strumAlso, the boat has the newer tiller/rudder system if that makes a difference.

Indeed, that's a huge upgrade for early Hobie 18's, the upgrade kit is over $600
    http://r.ebay.com/nNXd05

The SX wings with tramps and hardware would cost over $3,000 new from Hobie and bring $1,000 plus on the used market.

Cat Trax bring $250+ used no matter how old they are.

So the main thing to think about is the condition of the hulls as Rob and Jeff described. The main (only) place I've seen the 84-86 hulls fail is just in front of the front beam. This boat has the stainless D-reinforcements so just check carefully for the beginnings of cracks in this area.

This is the way the hulls can fail. But also remember that the 84-86 hulls were highly valued for many years as the best racing hulls because they were lighter. These are now pushing 30 years old so I think they held up pretty well indeed, it matters a lot how a particular hull has been treated and how much it has been sailed.

http://i1001.photobucket.com/albums/af140/wscotterwin/frontbreak4_zpse44ef1ec.jpg

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Thanks all! So if there are no cracks or soft spots then there is no reason to believe this wouldn't be a solid boat for years of fun? There is another I found, same boat but older, but it is further away. It also does not have the wings. I like the looks of this boat and hope that all is well with its main structure. I'm just nervous after reading posts about bad hulls. I guess there ate some blemishes to be expected on a 27 year old boat. I'm hoping its ok though as I'm real excited to start my sailing adventures!
  • I think you have the basics covered.

Noticed the registration in PA and assume you're there as well. There is a large and active Hobie fleet up in Syracuse NY (http://www.fleet204.com). I'd definitely hook up with them. You'll learn more sailing with them for a weekend than you would all summer by yourself. They can also help with the finer points of the boat.

Good Luck!

--
    Jeff R
    '88 H18 "Jolly Mon"
    '10 C2 USA1193
    NE IN / SE MI
    cramsailing.com
    --
  • Thanks! I'll check into that fleet for sure.
  • <code class="prettyprint">http://s25.photobucket.com/user/Got2strum/slideshow/1986%20Hobie%20H-18</code>
  • above link............http://s25.photobucket.com/user/Got2strum/slideshow/1986%20Hobie%20H-18

hmmmm! no URL code tags, wassupwitdat?
  • Yea, sorry. I tried to post a link to an album where I put all the pics I have of the boat. Can't figure it out.
  • And all the pictures:

http://s25.photobucket.co…bie%20H-18?sort=3&page=1

--
    Jack B
    Hobie 17
    BC, Canada
    --
  • This boat is a creampuff. Highly desirable and expensive SX wings along with the requisite hull reinforcement kit, remarkably new-looking Tequila Sunrise main and jib, good condition OEM trampolines (which would set you back around $1,000 if everything needed to be replaced), upgraded rudder system, EPO rudders, beach wheels with cradles and a decent-looking mainsheet system. Basically, it appears to be in good shape when it comes to all of the typical expensive replacement items.
  • Thanks for all the advice everyone and thanks for fixing my link jackb!
    I am going to check it out in person tomorrow and if all is well I will bring her home icon_smile
  • I had to reschedule for tomorrow to check this thing out. I noticed in the one pic there appears to be a crack of some sort around the starboard dagger board trunk. Is this normal wear or cause for concern?

Edited by got2strum on May 09, 2013 - 08:24 PM.
  • got2strumI had to reschedule for tomorrow to check this thing out. I noticed in the one pic there appears to be a crack of some sort around the starboard dagger board trunk. Is this normal wear or cause for concern?Edited by got2strum on May 09, 2013 - 08:24 PM.

Check it closely, if it's big enough to see in a photo it could be bad.

But gelcoat does develop "spider" cracks that are nothing, but these aren't deeper than the gelcoat, should be easy to tell the difference between gelcoat (surface) cracks and actual cracks in the fiberglass hull/deck.

The daggerboard trunks are a problem area, mainly where they connect to the hulls, they can develop leaks and it's very hard to get inside the trunk and reseal. There is a method that involves pulling a vacuum in the hulls and using it to draw epoxy into any gaps.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Grrreat, and I was hoping to have smooth sailing with this deal. I guess it looks more like a chip out of the fiberglass but now I'm nervous.
    http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c85/Got2strum/1986%20Hobie%20H-18/P1010640-Copy4.jpg

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.