Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Trailex Double Stack- how do you step a mast?  Bottom

• How do people normally step their masts on a Double Stack trailer? I assume it isn't possible because of the upper crossbars. They must step the mast on the ground.

I do have an idea to do it from the trailer though:
    1)Position the bottom boat backwards on the trailer when you put it away.
    2)When you want to step the mast, push the boat off the back of the trailer but leave the sterns on the rear trailer rollers/cradles. Now the boat will be slanted considerably.
    3)Push the mast off the back of the trailer and pin it to the mast step link. Now the mast should be pinned and the mast should be angled against the top/rear trailer crossbar.
    4)Raise the mast with the assistance of gravity!

Make sense? Would it work?

Another question, how are masts supported at the rear of the trailer? Are they angled from the front mast crutches and then lay on top of the bottom boat's rear crossbar or do the masts lay on the top/rear crossbar of the trailer?

--
    -Zach
    --
  • Most of the people I sail with and myself disconnect the mast from all of the rigging and step it on the ground.

--
    Greenville SC

Offering sails and other go fast parts for A-class catamarans
    --
  • Would my plan work though? And how do people put their masts on the trailer? I've never seen one and I'm having trouble visualizing the mast configuration.

--
    -Zach
    --
  • I've got a receiver style attachment that I welded onto the back side of the trailer frame. The mast support is just some 2" square tubing and a gusset that I welded together into a 90 degree "L" shape. I fitted a small rubber bow cradle to the end that holds the mast with the assistance of a rubber strap. The "L" Assembly comes out of the receiver with the removal of a pin just like on your truck hitch. Keeps the weight of a bouncing/flexing mast off of the rear crossbar and tiller connection but removes easily for launching. You could fabricate a taller version to fit your double stack need if you have some remedial welding ability. As for stepping your mast on the trailer, I've never done it, but I know there are a couple of different threads on this site that discuss techniques and devices used. Do a search and I bet you can find the info you're looking for.

--
    Jeremy Hales
    1974 SOLCAT 18
    Salem, OR
    --
  • I just thought about your post for a second... icon_rolleyes it's an aluminum trailer, so disregard my design suggestion unless you know how, and have access to a TIG welder.

--
    Jeremy Hales
    1974 SOLCAT 18
    Salem, OR
    --
  • Just unload and step on the beach, it is actually easier than on the trailer, you just walk up get on the boat and keep walking. The helper is on the ground not on the tongue of the trailer. Just easy all the way around. JMHO, Richard.

--
    Lake Perry KS
    H-18
    N-5.5 UNI +spin
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.