Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Sea FOG???  Bottom

• OK so i've been lurking on here a couple months. I have a '87 Hobie 16SE that owned since new. It suffered many years of neglect until I decided it needed a makeover. so I get her just right in time for winter. Well living in Newport NC affords me a few Indian summer days. Sunday December 9 72 degrees South wind 5-8 knots is one of them. Beautiful day, had a wonderful sail with nacraman57. Get STOKED looking at forecast for Monday SSE 15-20 small craft developing as day develops. Get to launch site at 9:30 ready to blow thru Morehead City waterfront on my way to Cape Lookout. All I can see is seafog. I mean that shit was thick!!! 150 yards is a channel marker that went in and out of sight until we decided sensible people don't sail in pea soup. As bad as I wanted to get out on that water I had to accept that there will be better days ahead.
  • we get seafog this time of year. it can be real dangerous, especially near a channel. Lots of power boaters with GPS fly blind and cruise at 20-30mph relying in gps alone...

couldn't be a worse example of seamanship imho
  • We could hear powerboats go roaring by like there was unlimited visibility. I was not willing to chance my radar signature would keep me from becoming flotsam. There is definately people on the water totally unaware of potential dangers out there.
  • very few power boats have radar, most only gps
  • MN3very few power boats have radar, most only gps

agreed

Coast Guard = radar

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.