Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Wetsuit or kayak splash pants for cold weather sailing  Bottom

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

• Picked up a hobie 18 magnum last summer. Our good winds here in Alabama are always in the winter months. I am planning on sailing solo. I was going to get a farmer 6-7 mm wetsuit, but am now second guessing and wondering if the kayak splash pants might be a better choice. What do ya'll think? I don't plan on capsizing, but who ever really does? Will splash pants work well enough if I get dunked? Might need as long as 1 hr to get back to shore. Temps will never be below 45 with water temps around 50-55.
  • Upper or lower AL?

I am in the Upstate of SC and spray pants plus prolypro undergarments are all that I need on the coldest days I sail here.

However, a black poly-pro rash gaurd and black lycra pants are really all I wear lately when its a bit colder provided that its sunny. I get too hot in the spray pants and spray top if there is any sun out at all.

--
    Greenville SC

Offering sails and other go fast parts for A-class catamarans
    --
  • A wetsuit of some kind is very necessary in those temps. If (when) you end up swimming, the splash pants will offer zero protection from the cold. I use seperate wetsuit pants and neoprene top + thermal layer, then cover all that with the kayaking-type waterproof pants and top.
    Out of the water, it keeps the spray off me, but if I do capsize, the wetsuit keeps me warm.
    Also, because all parts are seperate, I can take off, or add layers to keep me from overheating.
  • In that water temp I would recommend a wetsuit, never want to go swimming but should prepare for it. I use a farmer John suit and a spray top. Then add thermal layers under spray top and put pants over legs depending on weather. Mine is an NRS Farmer John suit, 3mm I think.

I would not recommend a 5 or 6 mm suit, to hard to move. If conditions are that bad, get a drysuit. Also get a separate neoprene hood you can wear to keep your head/ears warm.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • Thanks for the replies. I live in north Alabama just outside of Huntsville. I do most of my sailing on lake guntersville. I just worry about overheating in a farmer John wetsuit. My bigger worry though is dumping it while being solo and trying to right her and get back to shore.
  • QuoteI use a farmer John suit and a spray top.

QuoteAlso get a separate neoprene hood

This is what I use as well. It gives more flexibility comparing to full wet suit and it is quite comfortable. This works for water temp 50F and up. It it gets below of that, you will need something more serious. I would go for thicker neoprene jacket (+ your 6-7 mm farmer john) rather than a full dry/wet suit.

--
    Jack B
    Hobie 17
    BC, Canada
    --
  • I lived in Scottsboro 6 years ago and sailed lake Guntersville in January with a 3mm full wetsuit. Didn't have my current gear then. Was cool but wife was in same and didn't hate me for freezing her. I think 3mm gear with a spray outer layer will be fine. Don't forget booties and warm gloves. Your lifejacket under spray top is also warmer then over the top.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • i sail in fl and sail year round. Our water is 65 now but can get into the upper 50's by mid/end of winter

I have tried many different solutions over the years to allow me to sail in the winter:

cheap nylon pants (to cut the wind) are great but very slippery when wet - $10
    Farmer-John wet suits are good for core and leg insulation - around $200 (i think)
    I have been using kayak pants with neoprene leg cuffs for the past year. I stay about 85% dry if tucked in my zip up booties (but feet stay wet) - $80
    i just ordered a kokatat whirlpool bib with socks (Tropos not gortex ) that should keep me 95-98%% dry -$250
    my buddy has the gortex version... 99% dry $550

I HATE a tight collar around my neck, that is why i wont get a dry suit (top), plus they seem real hard to get in and out of

No one has mentioned fleece but i have learned (the heard way) ... that they become extremely heavy after a capsize, and will make getting back on a boat much harder.
  • QuoteNo one has mentioned fleece but i have learned (the heard way) ... that they become extremely heavy after a capsize

Andrew, that is very fabric specific. Some of the "thicker" liners that we wear under shells for spring skiing absorb almost no water. When pulled out of the washing machine they are practically dry, they weigh almost the same as off the shelf.
    I have fallen off my dock wearing them, & they nearly drop the water as you come out. When in the water they are cumbersome to swim in, but they are neutral buoyant, if thrown overboard they will sit just at the surface, not floating like a chunk of foam, but not sinking either.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • Thanks again everyone. Ordered a 5mm farmer John. I will couple that with my stohlquist splash top and layer it based on how cold it gets. I will let everyone know how it works out. Just gotta wait til Christmas now...
  • QuoteAndrew, that is very fabric specific.

I have found this to be true in most natural fibers (cotton, fleece, wool, etc)

Quoteome of the "thicker" liners that we wear under shells for spring skiing absorb almost no water

awesome, what product(s) is this?
  • QuoteOrdered a 5mm farmer John

from where?
    cost (if ya dont mind)?
  • Here is fly over country we sail through late October, water in the 50s.

Here is the rule, (not a suggestion) DRESS FOR THE WATER TEMP! as stated above, when you go in the water you have to survive. What if you flip and break something on the boat? It could take hours to get help and wet and cold are not a good combination.

I have a shortie wetsuit and a full wetsuit, I cut the collars off of both them them to make them more comfortable. Booties and full finger gloves. JMHO, Richard.

--
    Lake Perry KS
    H-18
    N-5.5 UNI +spin
    --
  • Right now both of my sailing venues (Lake Conroe & Galveston Bay) are in the 60's, I know I need some protection, but don't know how much.
    I have seen Lavacore mentioned, and was wondering if their hoodie, and a springsuit/farmer john would be adequate.

--
    Jeff
    Houston TX
    1986 Hobie 18 Sail# 13031
    --
  • MN3
    QuoteOrdered a 5mm farmer John

from where?
    cost (if ya dont mind)?

Ordered direct from nws in Idaho. The price was around 150.00 shipped. I am a big guy so it was hard to find 3xl -4xl.

Edited by 2out2sea on Dec 04, 2012 - 09:24 PM.
  • Sailing in the Netherlands, in the winter, Watertemp 40 F, Airtemp 42 F, going out tomorrow . Layer 1: thermal socks and thermal underwear (long sleeve) from a motorbike shop. Layer 2: 2 x fleece jogging pants, 1x fleece Tshirt, 1x fleece body-warmer(longsleeve). Layer 3: DryFashion dry-suit optimised for kite-sufers, latex socks, neoprene wrist and neck cuff. Layer 4: 8mm neoprene surf-boots, 5mm neoprene gloves, wool hat my grandmother made decades ago. Layer 5: Helly Hansen vest with 2 smoke-signals and 1 flare in the pockets, and waterproof VHF.

Had an incident ( see other post ) , managed to stay warm for 30min in these conditions, while in the water.
    Yes, its hard to get in a drysuit, and yes, its more difficult to move in these cloths.
    On the other hand, I wouldn't be a member of thebeachcats.com anymore if I didn't had this set.

Regards, André

--
    Tornado (80's Reg White)
    Prindle 18-2 (sold)
    Dart 16 (hired and hooked)
    13 mtr steel cutter (sold)
    Etap 22, unsinkable sailing pocket cruiser.

Amsterdam, the Netherlands
    --
  • Oops nrs not nws. Bought the grizzly. Fits great in 2xl. I am 6'2" and 265. Like I said, hard to find my size.

Edited by 2out2sea on Dec 06, 2012 - 08:02 PM.
  • i sail year around in so. fl. i use my light wet suit when it gets "cold" water 70 air in 50's . a surfing wetsuit hood with a small visor keep you toasty since you loose most heat thru your head. went out yesterday with a long sleeve t-shirt only. i use the wet suit only once or twice a winter. a windbreaker is usually enough here.

Edited by marcs2 on Dec 07, 2012 - 05:54 AM.
  • 2out2sea
    MN3

from where?
    cost (if ya dont mind)?

Ordered direct from nws in Idaho. The price was around 150.00 shipped. I am a big guy so it was hard to find 3xl -4xl.Edited by 2out2sea on Dec 04, 2012 - 09:24 PM.

Do you hav ea link for them?

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • Quarath
    2out2sea
    MN3

from where?
    cost (if ya dont mind)?

Ordered direct from nws in Idaho. The price was around 150.00 shipped. I am a big guy so it was hard to find 3xl -4xl.Edited by 2out2sea on Dec 04, 2012 - 09:24 PM.

Do you hav ea link for them?

http://www.nrsweb.com/
    Great company. I've been using them for many years.

--
    Philip
    --

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.