Sea FOG???

OK so i've been lurking on here a couple months. I have a '87 Hobie 16SE that owned since new. It suffered many years of neglect until I decided it needed a makeover. so I get her just right in time for winter. Well living in Newport NC affords me a few Indian summer days. Sunday December 9 72 degrees South wind 5-8 knots is one of them. Beautiful day, had a wonderful sail with nacraman57. Get STOKED looking at forecast for Monday SSE 15-20 small craft developing as day develops. Get to launch site at 9:30 ready to blow thru Morehead City waterfront on my way to Cape Lookout. All I can see is seafog. I mean that shit was thick!!! 150 yards is a channel marker that went in and out of sight until we decided sensible people don't sail in pea soup. As bad as I wanted to get out on that water I had to accept that there will be better days ahead.
we get seafog this time of year. it can be real dangerous, especially near a channel. Lots of power boaters with GPS fly blind and cruise at 20-30mph relying in gps alone...

couldn't be a worse example of seamanship imho
We could hear powerboats go roaring by like there was unlimited visibility. I was not willing to chance my radar signature would keep me from becoming flotsam. There is definately people on the water totally unaware of potential dangers out there.
very few power boats have radar, most only gps
MN3very few power boats have radar, most only gps

agreed

Coast Guard = radar

--
Sheet In!
Bob
_/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
(Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14