Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Life Saver  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2 - 3 [+1]:

• Thank you Andre for sharing the idea!

I flipped my cat a week ago and had very much trouble to get back onboard. And now I'm a believer! I got the system rigged up and ready to go. It may need to do some tuning, but seems to be working. Here is a video of testing the system: http://www.youtube.com/wa…Mq6hfz8&feature=youtu.be

-CH-

--
    Christian Kurkio
    Nacra 500
    Inter 20 (sold)
    Pori, Finland, Europe
    --
  • That's a great solution to a common problem. My getaway is easier to get back on because the wing seats give you something to grab on to.
  • kevinbatchelorMy getaway is easier to get back on because the wing seats give you something to grab on to.

The issue is not having enough upper body strength to pull yourself up onto the wings or a deck.
    André's solution gets your butt high enough- using your legs- to simply slide over onto the deck.
    I have been that tired, and had to pull tired crew up many times as well.
    Awesome solution, André!

Edited by klozhald on Aug 21, 2013 - 05:36 PM.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • ch_kurkioThank you Andre for sharing the idea!

I flipped my cat a week ago and had very much trouble to get back onboard. And now I'm a believer! I got the system rigged up and ready to go. It may need to do some tuning, but seems to be working. Here is a video of testing the system: [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4WEMq6hfz8&feature=youtu.be[/url

-CH-

Christian,
    Thanks for making the video I was supposed to deliver!
    You make it so clear, its a simple, save, lightweight solution.
    Some events in my life made it impossible to do anything
    with catamarans the past 7 months.
    Hope to be back in spring though.

Regards and thanks again.
    André

Edited by catmodding on Jan 08, 2014 - 11:00 PM.

--
    Tornado (80's Reg White)
    Prindle 18-2 (sold)
    Dart 16 (hired and hooked)
    13 mtr steel cutter (sold)
    Etap 22, unsinkable sailing pocket cruiser.

Amsterdam, the Netherlands
    --
  • I had a similar problem, with 2 of us we righted my cat and after gusting winds blew us right back over and very exhausted, I purchased a "righting bag" I can fill with water and put an attachment so that when we right the cat the ballast of the bag keeps the boat from capsizing the other direction. icon_evil

--
    Will
    Indian Shores, FL
    Newbie but catching on fast.
    NACRA 17
    --
  • http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=126004&g2_serialNumber=3

will the setup work just by adding a block to the bridle.. seems like it would pull the bridle back
  • carl2

will the setup work just by adding a block to the bridle.. seems like it would pull the bridle back

here are my thoughts on this set up:
    Yes it will pull your bridal back
    i personally don't think it's a good idea to do that
    having just replaced my bow tangs. i now know, I don't want any pressure from any direction except as intended
    i believe the OP's set up took most of the load on the beams... that is a good place for load

no disrespect intended but I'm not a fan of that line hanging down either... if your line ever worms itself free... you now have a line dragging from a bad location. even in medium wind, tacking can be pretty violent place to live (if your a line tied to a forestay/jib)

my method (learned the hard way)
    avoid the bows/front beam - too high on my boat

get on the side of the boat and grab a trap bungee, then wire, then handle.
    then (while holding a handle) - get 1 foot up on the cat (stern side), then the other foot. now i can get my butt/torso out (still holding handle - now w/2 hands)

YMMV

Just took my trap wires off my cat (put wings on it) - gonna need a new system :) (my wings have hiking straps that i think will work just fine)
  • On my SC15 the best way seems to be from astern. I unpin one end of the tiller crossbar and move it out of the way.
    The stern is the lowest to the water on an SC. A sailing buddy showed me that one. That method doesn't work so well when the forstay parts and the mast comes down on the tiller crossbar and bends the hell out of it, however. Then I just had to dolphin kick my way back on over the side as far aft as possible. This happened on another buddy's boat. Take a close look at your Nicopress fittings! Especially where the wire comes out to form the loop. The leg of an open end thimble can chafe the wire.

--
    '82 Super Cat 15
    Hull #315
    Virginia
    Previously owned: '70 H14, '79 H16, '68 Sailmaster 26, '85 H14T
    --
  • I'm glad this topic came up because as a very full figure kind of guy I know how hard it can be to get back up on deck, particularly when you become exhausted. I had this idea a while back and just went out to the shop and spent less than 10 minutes making this addition to my righting line. All it is are a couple of Prusik loops with a piece of PVC on the loop to make it easier to get your foot into it. I think ideally you might use heavier PVC than what I had laying around, but this shows the idea. The cool part to the Prusik Loop is you can position it where needed and I am very confident that it will hold the line even when everything is soaking wet. Very little weight gain and it stows with the righting line. While I have large Figure 8 knots in the righting line, these loops could also easily serve as handles when righting.

http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=126006&g2_serialNumber=4

http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=126009&g2_serialNumber=4

Here is how you tie the Prusik knot:
    http://www.animatedknots.com/prusik/#ScrollPoint

--
    dg
    NACRA 5.2 #400
    This End Up
    Original owner since 1975
    --
  • Catmodding,That's an impressive number of cats there. Take us on a video tour sometime.

Edited by gahamby on Nov 11, 2016 - 03:49 PM.

--
    '82 Super Cat 15
    Hull #315
    Virginia
    Previously owned: '70 H14, '79 H16, '68 Sailmaster 26, '85 H14T
    --
  • dmgbear55I'm glad this topic came up because as a very full figure kind of guy I know how hard it can be to get back up on deck, particularly when you become exhausted. I had this idea a while back and just went out to the shop and spent less than 10 minutes making this addition to my righting line.

Be sure and report back after you have tried it on the water. Usually the problem with anything like a "rope ladder" is that there is nothing to push "inward" against, only down, so it just swings out of the way.

Try it and see how it goes.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Not really sure how to feel about all of this info. Just got back into Cat Sailing in April of this year and have yet to flip it. Guess I should at least manually flip it over in something other than the Ocean and make sure I won't have too many issues.

--
    Pete
    2001 NACRA 450 SOLD
    2000 NACRA 500 TOTAL LOSS
    2004 NACRA INTER 20 SOLD
    2016 NACRA 500 Sport
    DeLand, FL
    --
  • QuoteBe sure and report back after you have tried it on the water. Usually the problem with anything like a "rope ladder" is that there is nothing to push "inward" against, only down, so it just swings out of the way.

Damon, I think you are right about a rope ladder per se, but in this case at least one of the loops should be against the hull, in fact they both could be. With the Prusik you can adjust the loop height on the righting line as needed. Still probably a little tricky but manageable. This End Up is about to get splashed so will report the results then. If you were sailing with crew you could also get them to stand/hold the position of the lower loop.

QuoteNot really sure how to feel about all of this info. Just got back into Cat Sailing in April of this year and have yet to flip it. Guess I should at least manually flip it over in something other than the Ocean and make sure I won't have too many issues.

I agree with you, but being a little prepared in this regard could make a bad day sailing be just that and nothing more.

--
    dg
    NACRA 5.2 #400
    This End Up
    --
  • dmgbear55
    http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=126006&g2_serialNumber=4

http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=126009&g2_serialNumber=4

Many are in favor of climbing from outside the hull, as with this system, but how hard is to get there? Do you have that experience in tough conditions and with the boat moving? If there are waves the hull may slam your head when crossing to the other side. And on the other side, if you miss the line (or don't have it as in other cases), where do yo grab from? The cat in some cases may start moving rather fast, that's when I realized I needed some aid from under the beam.

This ladder system could perhaps go on the inner side of the hull, with a carabiner and an eyestrap on the beam. Ideally set up before righting, to have it ready (except that you would have to pull it back to the other side of the hull)

I see also that you tie the righting line to the mast rod, I've always felt that this may bend the rod if it pulls from the wrong end. I prefer to tie mine around the beam, through a grommet on the tramp. It goes around the rod too, so you don't pull from the grommet. My mast rod got bent once when I passed over a buoy with a carabiner that hooked on the dolphin striker. Not good.
  • carl2http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=126004&g2_serialNumber=3

The force applied when stepping on the line is nothing compared to the forces to hold the mast while sailing.
    The shock cord will pull back when not in use but what harm can that make? It will move back maybe 1 or 2 cm in light wind, and nothing in stronger wind.
    I don't use a shock cord to keep the line up but a carabiner to the center of the from beam. (carabiner hooks to the righting line loop around the front beam/mast step rod). The line doesn't end at the carabiner but is longer, the rest is stored on the tramp pocket. It is also my towing line, I just unhook the carabiner and throw it to the towing boat or to attach to buoy, etc.

http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=126000&g2_serialNumber=3

Edited by Andinista on Nov 12, 2016 - 08:39 AM.
  • In the case of my boat I would probably make sure that the righting line was pushed up close to the bottom of the beam before loading it up during righting to avoid bending the DS. Tying it in the center means it is ready for use from either side of the boat. I also don't think it would be a good idea to tie the righting line off on top of the beam fearing that the mast rotation could get messed up, or it would eat into the righting line.

I think you could sort out ways to do the same sort of thing from the inside but I was shooting for very simple system without adding many other elements to the boat. I also think Damon's point about rope ladders is very valid here. I just wonder if just one loop close to the bottom of the hull would actually do the trick, giving you just the leg up that you need.

We will be sailing soon wearing dry suits, so we can test this thing quickly. These loops would have merit just for giving you a nice double set of hand holds for yourself and crew during righting.

--
    dg
    NACRA 5.2 #400
    This End Up
    --
  • Here si a simple idea: righting line is as in your picture, grab it from below the hull and thread it around the beam on the hull end, make room for your foot, there's your step. Ir keep the loop for the foot if you wish. Keep the two ends of line around the beam on your hand, friction should keep it there i think

Edited by Andinista on Nov 12, 2016 - 06:30 PM.
  • gahambyCatmodding,That's an impressive number of cats there. Take us on a video tour sometime.Edited by gahamby on Nov 11, 2016 - 03:49 PM.

I will do so. Next spring, ok?

A

--
    Tornado (80's Reg White)
    Prindle 18-2 (sold)

--
  • I know its an old topic, but at our club we bought a slightly bigger RIB,
    witch we use for club-races and rescue boat in the summer when there's
    a lot of cats out on the water.
    Bigger means higher beams and harder boarding from the surface.
    As being a safety-freak at our club ( Commodore ) I started to look
    for a boarding-aid for the rib and found this;

http://www.rib-step.com

This could be a DIY project for a beach cat as well.
    Other then that, the demonstration videos are worth looking if you want
    to laugh.....

and, just wondering, did any-one use the bridal system last summer?

Grtz A

--
    Tornado (80's Reg White)
    Prindle 18-2 (sold)

--
  • http://www.rib-step.com/images/step1_450px.jpg

--
    Tornado (80's Reg White)
    Prindle 18-2 (sold)

--

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2 - 3 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.